#101 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

Yes, entrepreneurship is equally or more challenging... it also tends be well paying... which teaching does not.

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

And again, the pay reflects that and the so what is obvious, the grind is the school year. So again, what are you basing your thoughts on that it's not much of a grind?

I never said it's not much of a grind. I'm saying the grind isn't so much that you guys should get All those days off and other jobs shouldn't.

Well there's obvious reasons for that time off and you really don't know what you're talking about in terms of how much of a grind it is.

#103 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

No but I know many teachers.

And it's not as hard as it used to be. Computers make it easier. They get way more professional days.

People who run and own their own businesses, accountants, lawyers, doctors, etc...it goes on and on for those who work more hours and/or jet have a more difficult job.

Now, I will say it depends on who and where you are teaching. That makes a big difference.

My guess is Mike and Kelly have a high stress job than Matt's wife does and that absolutely is part of the equation.

I'm not saying teachers don't have it tough and the good ones are vastly underpaid. It's criminal how teachers are treated pay wise..at least the good ones.

But I'm also not willing to say they have it harder than many jobs and I'm not willing to say they need 3 months worth of off days to cope with the stress. If that's the case, several jobs should get the same benefit.

Normally I'd be all like "hell yeah man!" but, you know, 9,840 posts and all...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#104 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

BTW, after four years of college and three years of law school, other than one law professor, the three greatest teachers I ever had were at my high school.  I went to a good high school for sure, but they were a big part of that and they certainly deserved to make more than they were probably being paid.

@bopper33

#105 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Yes, entrepreneurship is equally or more challenging... it also tends be well paying... which teaching does not.

Yeah, if you're going to break down the pay per month of work, teachers don't get paid well compared to a lot of other jobs that also have quite the grind.

#106 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

The lawyers that work ungodly hours are well compensated.

Trust me.

@bopper33

#107 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Why do accountants have more of a grind? Yes, some doctors and many lawyers have more of a grind, but they get paid quite well.<br />

#108 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Saw a report the other day that said MD has the third best schools of all the states in the country.

#109 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Saw a report the other day that said MD has the third best schools of any state in the country.

My freshman year of HS, we scored all perfect on some state-wide evaluation.

We got free ice cream.

@bopper33

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

As for business owners, I guess it depends on the type of business and how involved one is. In a lot of ways, teachers are like business owners as you're running something (a classroom) a ton of paperwork is included, and you bring your work home with you.

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Mike...why do you think your grind is so much more than so many other jobs?

#112 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Why do accountants have more of a grind? Yes, some doctors and many lawyers have more of a grind, but they get paid quite well.<br />

They also have a few hundred K in debt, spend 8+ years in school and when they come out, they don't make much off the bat because of their residency. It's not apples to oranges.

Way less doctors and lawyers out there vs teachers.

As far as your comment depending on the business of the owner...100% accurate. Of course, it also depends on the teacher and what level they teach.

#113 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

And btw.. A person who wants to teach isn't doing it for the money.

#114 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

And that's the hardest part about being a teacher, IMO. The good ones do it because they love it. And because they care. And the caring has to take a toll. Although it can be very gratifying too. I see my old teachers every now and then and they light up. Teachers, most of them, are pretty special.

#115 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Mike...why do you think your grind is so much more than so many other jobs?

I don't think I said do much more. Anyway, because you pretty much always have to be on while actually teaching, you have to constantly deal with classroom management (behavior issues), you never know when someone is going to come in your class and observe you, there is a lot of paperwork stuff you have to take care of, you have a bunch of meetings, and to stay on top of lesson planning and grading, you end up putting in a lot of hours (50+ consistently), and you take your job home all the time (not just in terms of doing actual work, but in terms of thinking about it and being stressed). The job requires a lot of work if you're going to do it well and it's mentally draining. And everyone on here that has taught or has a teacher spouse or parent has agreed with this, as does the teachers at my school.

#116 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

I don't think I said do much more. Anyway, because you pretty much always have to be on while actually teaching, you have to constantly deal with classroom management (behavior issues), you never know when someone is going to come in your class and observe you, there is a lot of paperwork stuff you have to take care of, you have a bunch of meetings, and to stay on top of lesson planning and grading, you end up putting in a lot of hours (50+ consistently), and you take your job home all the time (not just in terms of doing actual work, but in terms of thinking about it and being stressed). The job requires a lot of work if you're going to do it well and it's mentally draining. And everyone on here that has taught or has a teacher spouse or parent has agreed with this, as does the teachers at my school.

Agreed with all of this...now, why do you think this makes your grind more than so many other jobs?

#117 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

If you can't figure that out, I don't know what to say.

#118 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Not really. Starting salary in MoCo just with a Bach. is like $48k and without any further education they'll end up making $63k a year to work 10 months.

Lots of people these days will do it cause it's a steady job, even though they don't really like it or kids in particular. MOST of these people get burned out and switch careers within 3 years, but there are some that continue to grind it out for the paycheck. These are a lot of the bad teachers you mentioned.

You are completely underestimating the ones that work 50-60 hours every week, put in a ton of money out of their own pocket to make the school year enjoyable for the kids, and wear the weight of every single child on their shoulder.

WAY too many other jobs are work 40 hours, clock out, go home, and work doesn't exist again until you clock in.

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this
@JeremyMStrain

#119 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

MoGo pays better than most places to be clear. But yeah, the pay is not terrible, especially as it has become harder and harder to find decent work.

#120 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Not really. Starting salary in MoCo just with a Bach. is like $48k and without any further education they'll end up making $63k a year to work 10 months.

Lots of people these days will do it cause it's a steady job, even though they don't really like it or kids in particular. MOST of these people get burned out and switch careers within 3 years, but there are some that continue to grind it out for the paycheck. These are a lot of the bad teachers you mentioned.

You are completely underestimating the ones that work 50-60 hours every week, put in a ton of money out of their own pocket to make the school year enjoyable for the kids, and wear the weight of every single child on their shoulder.

WAY too many other jobs are work 40 hours, clock out, go home, and work doesn't exist again until you clock in.

This times a billion. 

i don't know that Rob is necessarily underestimating that though, in his defense...but this point cannot be stressed enough! 

My wife got home an hour ago, and has been doing schoolwork since, while I'm typing on this message board while watching a repeat of "High Heat" on MLB Network. 

Oh, and i make more than double what she does. That's insane. 

• mweb08 and BobPhelan like this
@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=