¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#103 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'm completely nitpicking, but Miguel Tejada was superstar status his first few years here lol

But it is amazing to watch someone grow so quickly. I think the walks will come soon, as you can see his approach at the plate is already advanced for his age and it will only get better as he gets more comfortable with the league. Really, really enjoying his career so far. Probably my favorite player I have followed through the minors yet.

I thought about Tejada. I think he has a chance to be a step above. I'm talking not just performance, but overall national recognizition and popularity.

#104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Somewhat quietly, Manny has his OPS up over .800 now. Pretty impressive. Last year he had 9 bb's against 38 k's. This year, he has 7 bb's against 20 k's. Good job closing that gap.

Already has 11 doubles on the year.

#105 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Boone said "he's already one of the top 3 defensive 3b" as if it was so crazy. He's easily the best defensive 3b.

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Somewhat quietly, Manny has his OPS up over .800 now. Pretty impressive. Last year he had 9 bb's against 38 k's. This year, he has 7 bb's against 20 k's. Good job closing that gap.

Already has 11 doubles on the year.

He is in like the top 7 in hits in the AL.  Pretty impressive.

60+ doubles pace.

#1 in UZR for third baseman and, as of the other day, he was second in UZR in baseball..regardless of position.

#107 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Great article. I had no idea McLouth spoke Spanish.

#108 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Boone said "he's already one of the top 3 defensive 3b" as if it was so crazy. He's easily the best defensive 3b.

I wouldn't say easily...

I don't like to rank players necessarily, but he's definitely in that top tier with Longoria & Beltre.

Also, anyone cringe at the Jonesy quote?

He gets it,'' Jones said. "If I'm talking, he shuts up. He understands the game and his role, and he understands that some people have been here longer.

@JeffLongBP

#109 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I wouldn't say easily...

I don't like to rank players necessarily, but he's definitely in that top tier with Longoria & Beltre.

Also, anyone cringe at the Jonesy quote?

Definitely a sense of entitlement from Jones.

However, he is a vet on the team and one of the leaders, so Manny should listen to him.

#110 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm sure there are scores of veterans who share Jones sentiment's, but just aren't honest about it. No big deal.

#111 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

I definitely cringed at first, just because we're not used to someone expressedly stating a level of authority like that, but it doesn't bother me at all.

#112 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I can't believe Manny Machado plays for the Orioles.  Cal was already well established by the time I started following the team, I've never seen a superstar from Day 1.

I don't think there are 5 players in the game that you'd rather have than Manny, factoring in age and contract status.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#113 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I thought about Tejada. I think he has a chance to be a step above. I'm talking not just performance, but overall national recognizition and popularity.

I dunno man, Tejada was the MAN in terms of SS popularity at his height with OAK/BAL. I see what you are saying though, as it's more about how good Machado could potentially be. I agree, he is on the path of absolute stardom at this point. Really feels good to see the Orioles have one of the young superstars on the rise.

#114 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

I can't believe Manny Machado plays for the Orioles.  Cal was already well established by the time I started following the team, I've never seen a superstar from Day 1.

I don't think there are 5 players in the game that you'd rather have than Manny, factoring in age and contract status.

Yea...This is what Matt Wieters was supposed to be.

Now, Manny is likely to come back to earth some with the bat in the near future but he has already shown more promise with the bat, early in his ML career, than Wieters did and Manny is much younger.

#115 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

From Yahoo! fantasy baseball:

New Player Note Thu, May 2

Manny Machado collected his third homer and his 12th double Wednesday against the Mariners.

Advice: With six doubles in his last six games, Machado now ranks second in the AL in the category, trailing only Mike Napoli. With 20 doubles, four triples and 10 homers in 310 major league at-bats since being called up last year, he's displayed very impressive pop for a 20-year-old infielder.

(Rotoworld.com)

#116 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Manny Machado: Superstar in the Making

http://www.fangraphs...-in-the-making/

A group that posted an average 104 wRC+ through age 20 jumped to an average of 124 at age 21. Machado is at the point where his offensive performance could trend upwards in a hurry, and this kind of leap — combined with his defensive value — would make him one of the best all around players in the game.

It’s hard not to look at Machado and see him as the heir apparent to Evan Longoria if he stays at third base. The bat might not be quite as Cabrera’s level, because Cabrera’s bat is one of the best we’ve ever seen, but when you add in the defense and athleticism, Machado has a chance to be a legitimate MVP contender, and perhaps in the not too distant future.

#117 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

This time courtesy of Dave Cameron at fangraphs.

http://www.fangraphs...-in-the-making/

@BSLKevinEbert

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

This is one I am glad the Orioles didn't screw up.

#119 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

If it's fair to blame them for every kid who doesn't pan out, then by that logic we have to give them credit for developing him properly (when in reality both are probably a huge amount of luck).

• Adam Wolff likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#120 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

If it's fair to blame them for every kid who doesn't pan out, then by that logic we have to give them credit for developing him properly (when in reality both are probably a huge amount of luck).

As someone who wanted to draft Colon because I felt we would screw MM up and I wanted the surer thing, I am more than happy to give them the credit they deserve.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=