• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

First off, that's a horrendous strike call. Doesn't even cross the plate. Still, it is absolutely inexcusable for Lawrie to throw his helmet like that. Just inexcusable.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

First off, that's a horrendous strike call. Doesn't even cross the plate. Still, it is absolutely inexcusable for Lawrie to throw his helmet like that. Just inexcusable.

Yep, this nails it on both accounts. (Though I don't know if the overhead camera is directly overhead, or at an angle.)

I don't see it happening in the near-term, but I think we do see automated balls/strikes at some point.

I saw Larkin on ESPN's Baseball Tonight, start to defend Lawrie's actions, stating he had thrown lots of helmets, and sometimes people get hit on unintended bounces. By the end of Larkin's comments, he had come around to saying the bottom-line, the advice is just don't throw equipment. You have to have better self-control. Like Stoudemire in the NBA, it is not enough to say 'heat of the moment.'

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Lawrie suspended 4 games.

Seems low, if you ask me.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Lawrie suspended 4 games.

Seems low, if you ask me.

Agreed.

#25 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

When do they start suspending umpires for diminishing the game with calls like this?
@bings012

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

When do they start suspending umpires for diminishing the game with calls like this?

When Lawrie does something like this, he becomes the "bad guy," much more so than the umpire. Argue it fine then take up your case with MLB when you react violently it cancels out the bad the umpire does.
@levineps

#27 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I don't blame Lawrie one bit. Tight game, crucial that he get on base, and the ump completely screwed him TWICE.

Yes, he deserved to get suspended, but I think 4 games is appropriate. MLB is basically saying, "We're giving you a lighter sentence because you got royally screwed."

As for the ump, while he didn't deserve to have equipment thrown at him, he did deserve to have the beer thrown at him. Good for the fans in T.O.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't blame Lawrie one bit. Tight game, crucial that he get on base, and the ump completely screwed him TWICE.

Yes, he deserved to get suspended, but I think 4 games is appropriate. MLB is basically saying, "We're giving you a lighter sentence because you got royally screwed."

As for the ump, while he didn't deserve to have equipment thrown at him, he did deserve to have the beer thrown at him. Good for the fans in T.O.

That's just wrong as I said previously, the "bad" that the umpire did was cancelled out by Lawrie's actions. You never react violently. I don't think Lawrie intended to throw his helmet at him but he still should've restrained himself. What's appalling is how you find the fans throwing beer at him acceptable. Boo him all you want, no one deserves to be threatened because they didn't do their job.
@levineps

#29 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

That's just wrong as I said previously, the "bad" that the umpire did was cancelled out by Lawrie's actions. You never react violently. I don't think Lawrie intended to throw his helmet at him but he still should've restrained himself. What's appalling is how you find the fans throwing beer at him acceptable. Boo him all you want, no one deserves to be threatened because they didn't do their job.

Fair enough. I think his frustration was natural, and the outcome was unintended.

I would personally never throw a beer at someone, and you are probably right that I shouldn't celebrate someone else doing so. That having been said, I thought it was pretty funny and got a laugh out of it, wrong as it might have been.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I love sports more than anyone, well I shouldn't say that because everyone here probably thinks that. But I still realize it's place in society - it's a diversion. I hate when people make sports into life/death matters.
@levineps

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

When Lawrie does something like this, he becomes the "bad guy," much more so than the umpire. Argue it fine then take up your case with MLB when you react violently it cancels out the bad the umpire does.

It is only canceled out of you let it be canceled out. By doing so, you ignore the underlying problem and set the stage for more bad events in the future. That's far worse than a dumb helmet throw with a bad bounce.

Lawrie probably should have received more time, though. He made a very bad decision to throw the helmet, and probably the fact that he certainly did not intend for it to hit the umpire saved him from missing a week or more.

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

I love sports more than anyone, well I shouldn't say that because everyone here probably thinks that. But I still realize it's place in society - it's a diversion. I hate when people make sports into life/death matters.

Aren't you the one making that turn from diversion to serious?

You can't tolerate when something is thrown from the stands and hits on-field personnel. However, if MLB wants to do prevent that they can build a system of public accountability for umpires who either make mistakes beyond a reasonable amount or who act in a manner detrimental to the best interests of the game. The present system, and the umpires involved, lack credibility. Thus there is no real reason to show respect for the umpires, and that leads to Bill Miller having a player and a fan hit him with foreign objects.

It is not something to be proud of, but instead of fixing the problem those who end up frustrated and make their own mistakes are the ones punished.

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

It is only canceled out of you let it be canceled out. By doing so, you ignore the underlying problem and set the stage for more bad events in the future. That's far worse than a dumb helmet throw with a bad bounce.

Lawrie probably should have received more time, though. He made a very bad decision to throw the helmet, and probably the fact that he certainly did not intend for it to hit the umpire saved him from missing a week or more.

Yes your right my *sympathy* for Lawrie becomes anger for his aggression towards the ump. As I said, he was well within his rights to VERBALLY argue this one. And then the Blue Jays should've filed an appeal.

Maybe MLB should adopt the "Emmitt Smith rule" and make an automatic ejection and one-game suspension for a batter to take off their helmet(on purpose) in the field of play?

Take the Gallaraga perfecto, if he goes after Joyce physically, he's no longer the sympathetic figure. But because he took the high road(and probably too high in his case), Joyce looks like the bad guy.

Lawrie would've gotten that same respect since the the umps bad calls would've been all over the news. But instead we're focusing on Lawrie and not the ump because what Lawrie did was that much out of line.
@levineps

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yes your right my *sympathy* for Lawrie becomes anger for his aggression towards the ump. As I said, he was well within his rights to VERBALLY argue this one. And then the Blue Jays should've filed an appeal.

Maybe MLB should adopt the "Emmitt Smith rule" and make an automatic ejection and one-game suspension for a batter to take off their helmet(on purpose) in the field of play?

Take the Gallaraga perfecto, if he goes after Joyce physically, he's no longer the sympathetic figure. But because he took the high road(and probably too high in his case), Joyce looks like the bad guy.

Lawrie would've gotten that same respect since the the umps bad calls would've been all over the news. But instead we're focusing on Lawrie and not the ump because what Lawrie did was that much out of line.

I think you missed my point. You are choosing to focus on Lawrie, and choosing to ignore the deeper problem.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Toronto sends down Adam Lind.

#36 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Since his breakout .305/.370/.562 season in 2009, Adam Lind has hit .238/.289/.420 in nearly 1,300 plate appearances. Ages 26-28
@bings012

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Toronto sends down Adam Lind.

He kills the Orioles, I always feared him more than Bautista, given the latters relatively poor track record against us.
@levineps

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

The Jays got 2 home runs apiece from Rajai Davis and J.P. Arencibia on their way to a 14-5 drubbing of the visiting New York Mets in game 1 of their interleague series last night. The Jays are now 22-18, 4 games back from the O's . Their run differential is now the best in the East and the 2nd best in the AL at +34.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Brandon Morrow earns his 2nd complete game shutout in 4 starts as the Jays shut out the Mets 2-0 to improve to 23-18, 3 games behind the O's.

Morrow looks to be on his way to that break out season that many predicted. He's now 5-2 with a 1.90 ERA with a 7.9 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 1.07 GO/FO ratio, a ridiculous 12% LD%, an equally ridiculous 20% IF/FB% and a 14% SwSt%. His FIP/xFIP is 3.52/3.58, so he's likely to regress some, but not much. He's been partly aided by a .211 BABIP. In any event, he's the real deal and is really having a nice 2012 campaign thus far.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Toronto takes Stroman. Do you think the Jays will use him as a reliever, and push him to the Majors quickly? Or do you think they will give him a chance to start?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=