#1501 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 April 2022 - 01:27 AM

Between the flipping off fans (Anderson, Kyrie), this incident, fans running onto the floor (Wolves Grizz series) I can see things coming to a head…

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1502 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 07:27 AM

Stay classy, NY. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1503 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 08:24 AM

CBS Sports: Yankees' pitching staff is off to its best start in 64 years -- here are three under-the-radar reasons why

https://www.cbssport...ar-reasons-why/

#1504 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 08:32 AM

#1505 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:14 PM

10 game winning streak. Now have best record in AL. I guess they don’t have “real issues” after all.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1506 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:24 AM

FanGraphs: The Yankees Are Good Despite Their Plate Discipline (Or Lack Thereof)

#1507 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:38 AM

#1508 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:12 AM

#1509 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 11:14 AM

This probably belongs in the General MLB thread.

I think when Josh Donaldson first called him out on the article by calling him "Jackie" back in 2019, Anderson may have been taken aback that a white guy would do that, hence the laughter. But Donaldson continuing to ride him about it is just mean-spirited, if not outright racist. Racism is a two-way street:  words or actions don't have to be intended to be racist to be perceived that way. 

Oh, and I think there's a reason Donaldson is on his 6th team. The guy wears out his welcome. 

• Mackus likes this

#1510 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:34 PM

I don’t think Donaldson is a racist but I think he’s pretty stupid.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1511 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

I don’t think Donaldson is a racist but I think he’s pretty stupid.

Well, he clearly felt comfortable enough riding Anderson about it for over three years. Is that being a racist or just a douche bag? 

Insert "Why not both" gif here. 

I agree about him being stupid though. The Yankees are 19 games above .500 and that type of toxicity brings the trolls out to defend him and likely will not sit well in the clubhouse. 

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#1512 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:58 PM

Well, he clearly felt comfortable enough riding Anderson about it for over three years. Is that being a racist or just a douche bag?

Insert "Why not both" gif here.

I agree about him being stupid though. The Yankees are 19 games above .500 and that type of toxicity brings the trolls out to defend him and likely will not sit well in the clubhouse.

I had a coach in college who told us to " let a sleeping dog lie". This was after we almost blew a 12 run lead after we mocked the other team early in the game.

All Donaldson did by targeting Anderson with his comments and actions was give Anderson and his teammates a reason to play harder. The result wasn't very good for the Yankees.
  • CantonJester likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1513 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, the whole "racist" angle on this one falls in the very real overdoing the racism angle category to me. Anderson called himself "today's Jackie Robinson" in an interview for an article. Whatever the history of like / dislike is between the two of them... That's a really really significant self-comparison to make. Donaldson is clearly poking at the guy with the "joke" but crossing that bridge to declare it undoubtedly racist remark is a bridge we shouldn't be crossing. It's a very slippery slope...

#1514 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, the whole "racist" angle on this one falls in the very real overdoing the racism angle category to me. Anderson called himself "today's Jackie Robinson" in an interview for an article. Whatever the history of like / dislike is between the two of them... That's a really really significant self-comparison to make. Donaldson is clearly poking at the guy with the "joke" but crossing that bridge to declare it undoubtedly racist remark is a bridge we shouldn't be crossing. It's a very slippery slope...

Slippery slope to what?

#1515 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:39 AM

Slippery slope to what?

Labeling things that aren't racist as racist...
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#1516 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:07 AM

FanGraphs: Giancarlo Stanton Gets Pitched Weirdly

#1517 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:27 AM

Labeling things that aren't racist as racist...

Nah, that's not much of a concern.

Worrying about that leads to having actual racist things not be labeled as racist, which already happens plenty in America.
  • The Epic and CantonJester like this

#1518 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:21 AM

You're interpreting Donaldson's intentions as non-racial. Anderson interpreted them differently.

Why are you correct, and the target of the taunting incorrect?

#1519 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:47 AM

You're interpreting Donaldson's intentions as non-racial. Anderson interpreted them differently.

Why are you correct, and the target of the taunting incorrect?

If one interprets something to mean "something else", that doesn't necessarily mean they're unquestionably correct.  That's all.

This is my opinion of course.  Anderson referred to himself as "today's Jackie Robinson", and then someone who obviously there's tension with calls him "Jackie" a couple times (in an obvious attempt to needle him)... that isn't unquestionably a "racist" statement.  People use the words that come out of the mouths of others against them all the time.  

He's being a d*ck for sure.  And MAYBE there's intent.  And maybe there's not.  But there's no surefire way to prove the intent. 

Suspending a dude for a game, for calling a guy an actual NAME that said person once used in reference to himself too, and declaring it patently racist (as many are)... it really is a precedent that isn't worth setting, to me anyway.  

#1520 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 10:19 AM

If one interprets something to mean "something else", that doesn't necessarily mean they're unquestionably correct.  That's all.

This is my opinion of course.  Anderson referred to himself as "today's Jackie Robinson", and then someone who obviously there's tension with calls him "Jackie" a couple times (in an obvious attempt to needle him)... that isn't unquestionably a "racist" statement.  People use the words that come out of the mouths of others against them all the time.  

He's being a d*ck for sure.  And MAYBE there's intent.  And maybe there's not.  But there's no surefire way to prove the intent. 

Suspending a dude for a game, for calling a guy an actual NAME that said person once used in reference to himself too, and declaring it patently racist (as many are)... it really is a precedent that isn't worth setting, to me anyway.  

You can defend Donaldson's right to plausible deniability, but given the fact he had been taunting him with that name for three years? It's safe to imply he knew what he was doing. Again, there's a reason he's worn out his welcome in every clubhouse he's ever been in.

• mweb08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=