#1541 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:03 PM

Jordan Montgomery threw 5 scoreless last night in a 1-0 win over his old team. That’s gotta sting a little. What a stupid trade.

#1542 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:38 PM

Montgomery beating  the Yankees had to feel really good for him

@mikeghg

#1543 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:37 PM

2 of the guys the Yankees traded for to be competitive this year and next gave up 9 runs in 4 innings.

You play the game between the lines and everything can happen. 

#1544 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:42 PM

2 of the guys the Yankees traded for to be competitive this year and next gave up 9 runs in 4 innings.

You play the game between the lines and everything can happen.

They go hard with trades and disrupt their chemistry every year. Cashman is a great dealer though. He wins a lot of trades. But sometimes less is more during a nice run.

#1545 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:52 PM

They go hard with trades and disrupt their chemistry every year. Cashman is a great dealer though. He wins a lot of trades. But sometimes less is more during a nice run.

You just never know.  Orioles have won 5 of 6, Yankees lost 5 of 6.  Yankees FO working hard, Orioles FO throwing in the towel....you still play the game between the lines on the field, not in line at the bank.  The Talent separation between the best teams and the worst teams is 5-12, not 1-16.

#1546 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:27 PM

#1547 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:44 AM

#1548 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:37 PM

I was hoping the O's would add Carpenter this past offseason on the cheap.

1.138 OPS in 154 PAs. Worth every bit of $2M even if this is all you get. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1549 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 09:31 AM

ESPN: New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone heated after team's 'embarrassing' 9-0 loss to Tampa Bay Rays

https://www.espn.com...-tampa-bay-rays

#1550 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone care if Judge breaks Maris’ 61?

I don’t, but I hope he doesn’t. Besides the obvious hatred of the Yankees. falling one or two short means the wall at Camden literally cost him that :), a couple IIRC would have been out last year and he and Boone complained about it.

I wonder how much of the population considers Maris’ 61 still the clean record. If he gets to 60 I wonder if Yanks games will just be on national TV every night until he gets the record. Pretty sure that was the McGwire treatment. By now, other nationally televised games would be doing a live look in at every AB. Can’t tell you if that’s the case though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1551 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:20 AM

I don’t, but I hope he doesn’t. Besides the obvious hatred of the Yankees. falling one or two short means the wall at Camden literally cost him that :), a couple IIRC would have been out last year and he and Boone complained about it.

I wonder how much of the population considers Maris’ 61 still the clean record. If he gets to 60 I wonder if Yanks games will just be on national TV every night until he gets the record. Pretty sure that was the McGwire treatment. By now, other nationally televised games would be doing a live look in at every AB. Can’t tell you if that’s the case though.

I hope he doesn't get it because I don't feel like hearing the sports media blabber on about how it's the "real" record.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1552 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:13 AM

CBS Sports: Aaron Judge contract: Predicting what kind of deal Yankees star will get in free agency after historic 2022

https://www.cbssport...-historic-2022/

#1553 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

I would think fans of other teams in the AL East would root for him to not only break the record, but smash it. In that scenario, multiple teams drive up Judge’s asking price, forcing the Yankees over a barrel. Hal Steinbrenner is not his father. If he lets him walk, it’d crush fan morale, and you’d see the fair weather ninnies become Mets fans seemingly overnight. So he’ll presumably break the bank for him…but Hal will seek to cut corners throughout the roster to help offset the cost. It’s largely why the Yankees spend the least of their profits than any other MLB club, and it’s also why Hal voted to lower the luxury tax threshold. He is in it for profit, not winning. 

#1554 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:31 PM

I think Judge is a decent guy,  I really do not care if he breaks it or not, but I think he is going to and good for him, if he does.

@mikeghg

#1555 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 02:21 PM

I don't care if he breaks it or not. I'm just glad he's doing it in his FA year and hopefully the Yankees vastly overpay for her services. I don't think this will be the norm for Judge going forward and he's already in his age 30 season.

#1556 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

Saw on Reddit that this Fridays Yankees game is exclusively on Apple TV. Their fans are freaking out cause potentially Judge's historic homer will be called by Melanie Newman.

Haha. I want that for them so bad.
  • You Play to Win the Game, BaltBird 24, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1557 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:51 PM

He just hit his 60th, and then they loaded the bases where Stanton hit a walk-off GS. 

#1558 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:36 AM

The Yankees are on Apple TV on Friday, and apparently their fans are horrified that Judge's 62nd home run might be called by Melanie Newman.

#1559 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:19 PM

The Yankees are on Apple TV on Friday, and apparently their fans are horrified that Judge's 62nd home run might be called by Melanie Newman.

OMG please please please let this happen.  PLEASE

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1560 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:51 PM

It's too bad he can't get to 74. I hate that Bonds holds that record. No one above Maris got there without "help"

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=