#661 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:24 PM

Eh. I think he'll be back eventually; especially if it turns out it was a money making scheme by the family.

There is *zero* chance he plays in MLB ever again if he was in a romantic relationship with a 14 year old
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#662 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 05:05 AM

This year? Try ever. He’s headed to Mexico

Not looking good.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#663 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 06:14 AM

I read some crazy law in the DR where he can come to a financial agreement with the family and the case goes away. So they allow payoffs. There's 2 girls involved.

MLB will still come down hard on him.

#664 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:31 AM

Whatever happens in the DR is separate from what MLB can/will do.

Also, I’m not convinced that he won’t be in hot water in the US.

@bopper33

#665 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:53 AM

Whatever happens in the DR is separate from what MLB can/will do.

Also, I’m not convinced that he won’t be in hot water in the US.

His contract won’t mean diddly if he has his immigration status revoked for lying on his application. 

#666 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:20 AM

New stadium deal expected to be announced.

Opening in 2028.

Only four more years of playing road games in that dump they call the Trop and, frankly, good for them.  I wanted a team in Montreal but that may have to be via expansion.

@bopper33

#667 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:56 AM

I can't believe their new stadium is also going to be in St. Pete.  

That's crazy to me. 

Good for them though. 

I hate playing the Rays, and deeply respect the organization they've built.

https://www.tampabay...uart-sternberg/

#668 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:09 PM

I can't believe their new stadium is also going to be in St. Pete.  

That's crazy to me. 

Good for them though. 

I hate playing the Rays, and deeply respect the organization they've built.

https://www.tampabay...uart-sternberg/

At this point, I think they would have taken a stadium on Mars. 

@bopper33

#669 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 04:53 PM

Building a new stadium less than a mile from the old one isn't going to solve the Rays' attendance problems long-term. Most of their fanbase is located in Tampa, not St. Petersburg.

#670 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:00 PM

I see they’re doing this in conjunction with a real estate investor and doing a Battery type situation. That’ll only give trust fund baby more ammo and possible leverage. Ugh.
  • mweb08 and BobPhelan like this

#671 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:08 PM

Building a new stadium less than a mile from the old one isn't going to solve the Rays' attendance problems long-term. Most of their fanbase is located in Tampa, not St. Petersburg.

Yeah, that’s just not true at all. I live 30 minutes south of St Pete and I can tell you firsthand that city has a tremendous amount of Rays fans. The thing that keeps Ray’s fans away is that crap ass stadium. The two cities are very close, and there isn’t, literally isn’t, any room for a stadium in Tampa. Where it should have been built was next to Raymond James however, the Yankees spring training complex is there, so that wasn’t an option. Believe me, a new stadium will attract a lot of fans because the Trop is literally a fallout shelter. The fact that it will only be, 30,000 seats will also help them because tickets will be hard to come by. And that is clearly not the case in the dump of a stadium they have now.

#672 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, that’s just not true at all. I live 30 minutes south of Saint Petersburg and I can tell you firsthand that city has a tremendous amount of Rays fans. The thing that keeps Rays fans away is that crap ass stadium. The two cities are very close, and there isn’t, literally isn’t, any room for a stadium in Tampa. Where it should have been built was next to Raymond James however, the Yankees spring training complex is there, so that wasn’t an option. Believe me, a new stadium will attract a lot of fans because the Trop is literally a fallout shelter. The fact that it will only be, 30,000 seats will also help them because tickets will be hard to come by. And that is clearly not the case in the dump of a stadium they have now.

I spent a year in college north of Tampa (Pasco County).   It's been 20 years, so I'll certainly defer to you who lives there.
But my experience at the time was most of the money in the Metro was in Tampa, the larger population was in Tampa...  and those people had no interest in crossing the bridge into St. Pete with any regularity. 

I'd like to see the Rays make this work.  A 30,000 seat stadium is interesting. 

Totally agree that the Trop is horrible...  not only saw games, but got a behind the scenes tour of the place...  just a really depressing place. 

#673 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:35 PM

I spent a year in college north of Tampa (Pasco County). It's been 20 years, so I'll certainly defer to you who lives there.
But my experience at the time was most of the money in the Metro was in Tampa, the larger population was in Tampa... and those people had no interest in crossing the bridge into St. Pete with any regularity.

I'd like to see the Rays make this work. A 30,000 seat stadium is interesting.

Totally agree that the Trop is horrible... not only saw games, but got a behind the scenes tour of the place... just a really depressing place.

And you are correct, but St. Pete in the last five years has been greatly built up. The downtown area, which is about a mile from the “Trap” is a really fun place to be now. That wasn’t the case for a long time! And just south of St Pete is being built up tremendously and there are a ton of rays fans in this area. I actually work in St Pete, and there are a tremendous amount of fans.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#674 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:34 AM

Curious why they’re going to the cheap route with a fixed roof rather than a retractable one, and promise of upside =/= the amount of corporate dollars located in Tampa. 

#675 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 05:18 PM

Enrique and @JuanRecioM with the facts: Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco has been officially summoned by police to appear for questioning at 11 a.m. Thursday, per sources. Franco is under investigation by police and MLB for alleged inappropriate relationships with minors.

#676 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2023 - 05:59 PM

Plural? Good lord. Freaking creep. Guess that does it for the "duped" by a money fiending mother angle his PR team was pushing. 

#677 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 07:14 PM

I guess We'll see if Franco shows up for the questioning tomorrow.

#678 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 02:08 PM

Franco was a no show for the questioning and he fired his legal team. I guess that he's stalling. I doubt this ends well for him.

#679 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 08:39 PM

Franco was a no show for the questioning and he fired his legal team. I guess that he's stalling. I doubt this ends well for him.

I'd bet against him ever playing again at this point. His legal troubles are probably his more pressing concern. And have to imagine TB will go after his money if he isn't able to enter the country.

#680 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:28 PM

I'd bet against him ever playing again at this point. His legal troubles are probably his more pressing concern. And have to imagine TB will go after his money if he isn't able to enter the country.

I am/was willing to wait until everything settles and facts come out, but this doesn't bode well for his future.  If you think you can get this behind you, you show up, do what you need to do.  When you don't show, all action can be taken against you by MLB.

He has to be indefinitely suspended without pay at this point right? Nobody, including MLBPA, is going to stick up for him if he doesn't show up in court.

Crazy fall.  

• B00E00N00 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=