#1321 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Not releasing him is due to some crazy fear that we will be paying him to be good again elsewhere. While that's happened from time to time, where a star has had a bad year or two, gotten released, and then found it again elsewhere.. I can't ever recall a case where someone has been this bad for this long and then got good again. It isn't happening, just cut ties and be done with it so we never have to discuss this garbo again. God I'm so sick of even hearing about Chris Davis
  • russsnyder likes this

#1322 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:21 AM

Not releasing him is due to some crazy fear that we will be paying him to be good again elsewhere.

While I agree this was the rationale 2-3 years ago, I don't think this is true anymore.  I think now it's about the small chance of the season being cut short due to Covid and there being a way to save that money due to that.

It's a really random way to have been right, but the team saved about $11-15M (depending on if the deferred money also gets prorated which I've seen conflicting information on) on the deal by not having released him before 2020.

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and Old Man like this

#1323 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:24 AM

Not releasing him is due to some crazy fear that we will be paying him to be good again elsewhere. While that's happened from time to time, where a star has had a bad year or two, gotten released, and then found it again elsewhere.. I can't ever recall a case where someone has been this bad for this long and then got good again. It isn't happening, just cut ties and be done with it so we never have to discuss this garbo again. God I'm so sick of even hearing about Chris Davis

I dont think you are right.

I believe the issue has been, why release and pay somebody that amount of money, to sit at home and watch TV?

#1324 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:30 AM

I dont think you are right.

I believe the issue has been, why release and pay somebody that amount of money, to sit at home and watch TV?

Because he'd be helping the organization more by sitting at home and watching TV. That can't be argued. It's a cancer, organizationally, that he even has to be addressed multiple times a week by the media, etc. 

I do think Mack is right, that makes a ton of sense, and if that's the case, this would probably be the last year we have to deal with this.

Nothing against Chris Davis personally, just to be clear.

• Old Man likes this

#1325 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:35 AM

Because he'd be helping the organization more by sitting at home and watching TV. That can't be argued. It's a cancer, organizationally, that he even has to be addressed multiple times a week by the media, etc. 

I do think Mack is right, that makes a ton of sense, and if that's the case, this would probably be the last year we have to deal with this.

Yeah, Mack is probably right.

I didnt have issues with Chris, until his didnt walk his talk and said, if he was a determent to the team, he would walk away.

Clearly he is and clearly he hasnt.

I respect what he did, while he was Crush and lots of good memories, before his lost his skillset.

#1326 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:35 AM

I think it's as simple as we gave you a contract, we're on the hook for it, so youre going to honor your end. Im assuming there is some non on field responsibilities that come with the contract. Angelos bros might still at least consider using him in that regard. Or maybe they're hoping there some random Belle type injury pops up where they can have insurance cover it. Or even something like the off chance he pops for a PED and would get out from paying him

#1327 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:40 AM

We talked about this not long ago.  Davis didn't say what you think he said.

Up to now, I've tried to be optimistic about Davis and a realistic, knowing the team was not going to cut him, when they owe a ton of money. In spite of what some fans think.

Davis was interview during the off-season before the pandemic and said he was so disappointing in himself, and knew he wasn't earning the big money, and he claimed that if this season was like the last, he would hang up his cleats and walk, it would be the right thing to do.

Clearly, he knew the right buzz words to say at the time, his actions, show otherwise.

I think I recall that interview but didn't take away the message that you did. I recall him saying the only way he'd retire is if he didn't think he could do it anymore, but that recent results haven't left him feeling hopeless that he can't rediscover it and start hitting well sometime in the future.

Yeah, looks like I remember it different. 

https://baltimore.cb...red-retirement/

• Old Man likes this

#1328 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:52 AM

I think it's help the organization more if he was picked up by an AL East team and the O's get to play against him. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1329 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

We talked about this not long ago.  Davis didn't say what you think he said.

I think people have reported his words differently. He probably said something about this more than once.

On whether he’d consider walking away from contract:
“I’d be lying if I told you that wasn’t at least talked about toward the end of the season last year and this offseason. I know what I’m capable of. I know what I expect of myself and I don’t want to continue to just struggle and be a below-average, well below-average producer at the plate. And I don’t think that’s fair to these guys. And I don’t think, honestly, it’s fair to our fans, or to anybody that’s associated with Baltimore. But I still think that there is something left in the tank and I think that that’s really a conversation that we’re going to have to have at the end of this season. Like you said, I have three years left after really two just grinding years, but I still think that there’s some time to kind of right the ship. So that’s a conversation I’ll have to have again at the end of the season.”

#1330 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

I think people have reported his words differently. He probably said something about this more than once.

I still don't read that as "I will retire if I don't hit well".  He lays out the reasons why he understands that it's a fair conversation to have, but all of that is negated by him saying "But I still think that there is something left in the tank".  I probably haven't seen every comment from him on the topic, but I have never seen him say something to that effect.  I think you've misinterpreted his comments.

• Old Man likes this

#1331 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

I still don't read that as "I will retire if I don't hit well".  He lays out the reasons why he understands that it's a fair conversation to have, but all of that is negated by him saying "But I still think that there is something left in the tank".  I probably haven't seen every comment from him on the topic, but I have never seen him say something to that effect.  I think you've misinterpreted his comments.

Fair enough

#1332 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

Yeah he did say something right after signing that big of a deal, something to the effect of feeling like he was earning it or SOMETHING like that, it wasn't like if I don't play well I'll quit, but I think a lot of people took it that way.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#1333 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:07 PM

My answer, is who cares where he is.   I do think it is very poor reporting for Britt to use the word drugs in her story.  Does it really matter where he is?

@mikeghg

#1334 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

Give him a tenth chance, this is his year!

@DaKittenz

#1335 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:56 AM

Was listening to one of The Athletic's podcasts, "Rates and Barrels".

Britt Ghiroli was on with the two who usually host on an April 30th episode. I'm going to quote what exactly what she said. Conversation started because they were talking about homers popping off in Camden Yards when the weather warms up.

Confirms what we all suspect. Phantom IL is real. Ubaldo's pot hole in the players parking lot, etc...

Hope the "drugs" comment from whichever beat writer was tongue in cheek.

Pretty obvious all this talk about Elias "having a plan" for Davis to get back on track, is a bunch of BS.

I don't understand. You get paid either way. Just release him.

The Orioles are delaying the inevitable.

The only thing I can think of is that they have him on the IL in case of another Covid shutdown. I still think Davis gets released this year. Why take away at bats from Mountcastle? More importantly, Davis is not a major league player. There is no reason other than potentially saving some $ to even have Davis on the roster.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1336 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:50 AM

How do salaries work if there's a work stoppage next year?  I'm assuming it would work just like the COVID shutdown - active players would not get paid, but released players would.  There's no reason other than saving money to have Davis on the roster, but he makes $1M every 7 games so it wouldn't take much of a COVID/labor stoppage to add up to a pretty substantial savings.

#1337 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:44 AM

How do salaries work if there's a work stoppage next year?  I'm assuming it would work just like the COVID shutdown - active players would not get paid, but released players would.  There's no reason other than saving money to have Davis on the roster, but he makes $1M every 7 games so it wouldn't take much of a COVID/labor stoppage to add up to a pretty substantial savings.

Thats pretty telling plan of action,  If you are planning on a work stoppage to save money?

Seams like there would be other lost revenue involved and end up losing money than they saved.

• russsnyder likes this

#1338 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:48 AM

Thats pretty telling plan of action,  If you are planning on a work stoppage to save money?

Seams like there would be other lost revenue involved and end up losing money than they saved.

They're not hoping for a work stoppage that costs them money overall.  It's just that if it does happen, they'll save money on Davis' deal that they can't save through any other method.

It's not like a Covid outbreak is in any way related to Davis being rostered or not, so you can't compare the relative financial implications of 'Covid shutdown w/ Davis' versus 'regular schedule w/o Davis'.

I think we're definitely at the point where Davis on the active roster hurts the team (in terms of lost opportunity for someone else who needs it) more than the slight possibility of saving money helps the team (laughable to suggest it'd help at all...but for this exercise we gotta view saved money for the Angeloses as saved money for the team).  Once Davis has to be added to the active roster, I think they will finally release him. 

I think we're also close to the point, definitely will be at the end of the year and could argue we were last offseason, where Davis' 40-man roster spot is costing the team more than the potential for saving money gains them.  If Davis was cut in October, Zack Pop would still be here.  This is the first time I think Davis' presence has hurt the Orioles other than on the field which doesn't actually hurt right now when they are trying to lose games (or at least uncaring of whether they win or lose).  I don't think they release him when he comes off the 60-day IL (i.e. on the 40-man but still not on 26-man active roster) if they can still assign him for some time to rehab his injury.   But they might. 

• Mike B and Old Man like this

#1339 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:11 AM

They're not hoping for a work stoppage that costs them money overall.  It's just that if it does happen, they'll save money on Davis' deal that they can't save through any other method.

It's not like a Covid outbreak is in any way related to Davis being rostered or not, so you can't compare the relative financial implications of 'Covid shutdown w/ Davis' versus 'regular schedule w/o Davis'.

I think we're definitely at the point where Davis on the active roster hurts the team (in terms of lost opportunity for someone else who needs it) more than the slight possibility of saving money helps the team (laughable to suggest it'd help at all...but for this exercise we gotta view saved money for the Angeloses as saved money for the team).  Once Davis has to be added to the active roster, I think they will finally release him. 

I think we're also close to the point, definitely will be at the end of the year and could argue we were last offseason, where Davis' 40-man roster spot is costing the team more than the potential for saving money gains them.  If Davis was cut in October, Zack Pop would still be here.  This is the first time I think Davis' presence has hurt the Orioles other than on the field which doesn't actually hurt right now when they are trying to lose games (or at least uncaring of whether they win or lose).  I don't think they release him when he comes off the 60-day IL (i.e. on the 40-man but still not on 26-man active roster) if they can still assign him for some time to rehab his injury.   But they might. 

I agree with everything you wrote with the exception of ZacK Pop being here.  The Orioles had a few other options, besides Davis that could have been cut.

I really do not think we see Davis this year.  I think they effectively have already seperated Chris from the team.

@mikeghg

#1340 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, he's not getting good again.

He hasn't been good since the two thousand teens.

Discussing Davis is tiring to say the least.

• Old Man likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=