1429 replies to this topic

#1301 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, I dont agree. He's not holding up anything close to his end of the deal. Nor do I really believe he's even trying anymore. He's within his rights to stick out the last two years but I don't think its out of bounds to call out his shamless greed.

#1302 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:40 AM

Yea, it is laughable how people almost expect him to give up 46M.

I wouldn’t, and I expect most would not.

I don't think anyone expects him to give up any of his money. He negotiated a contract.

I have an issue with the guy questioning anything about the direction of the team when he realistically can't perform at the major league level. Those comments are hilarious.

He should have been paid to go away a couple of years ago.
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1303 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, I dont agree. He's not holding up anything close to his end of the deal. Nor do I really believe he's even trying anymore. He's within his rights to stick out the last two years but I don't think its out of bounds to call out his shamless greed.

I think he's trying, it makes him and his performance that much more pathetic.

It also makes me question the roots of his previous successful performance. ( PEDs. He's served suspensions.)

#1304 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

I don't think anyone expects him to give up any of his money. He negotiated a contract.

I have an issue with the guy questioning anything about the direction of the team when he realistically can't perform at the major league level. Those comments are hilarious.

He should have been paid to go away a couple of years ago.

I agree with all of this.  The best thing Chris could do, is to just stop talking.  The Orioles should have ended this after 2019, but they really don't care about anything but the money.  

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#1305 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:53 AM

I think he's trying, it makes him and his performance that much more pathetic.

It also makes me question the roots of his previous successful performance. ( PEDs. He's served suspensions.)

I don;t think it was PED's but who knows and frankly I don't care.  I think he has just lost it.

@mikeghg

#1306 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:57 AM

I agree with all of this.  The best thing Chris could do, is to just stop talking.  The Orioles should have ended this after 2019, but they really don't care about anything but the money.  

I don't dislike Davis, however, you are correct about his need to stop talking.

He looks really foolish when he talks about the team rebuilding.

He is obviously not a part of it. 

The Orioles should treat him like a rule five pick.

Play him once a week and bat him eighth,

Pinch hit for him if the situation dictates,

I'm fine with him sticking around for the check as long as he rarely sees the field.

#1307 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:11 AM

I have absolutely no problem with Davis not walking away. He signed a contract and he's sticking it out. What I don't understand is why the Orioles insist on keeping him around. It's beyond obvious that he's never going to have a resurgence. Major League Baseball teams occasionally sign very bad contracts. It happens. It's the nature of the game. But the Orioles and ownership are punishing fans for the contract they signed years ago. The $46M or whatever he's owed is of more value to pay him to not play at this point. It's a sunk cost either way. For the MF life of me I don't understand how the Orioles cannot get that through their skulls.

Chris Davis isn't just getting paid to hit .215 / 22 / 65. That would be bad enough. He can't even hit .200. He has zero power. He's closer to being a man off the street than he is a replacement level player. 

It's well beyond the time to end this.

• Mike B, Mike in STL and russsnyder like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1308 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:10 AM

It probably makes sense for the O's to keep him for now, in case the 2021 season is shortened and they can save some salary.  If they release him now, they have to pay all of it.

Even if they play a full season, every 7 games the cost of releasing him drops by $1 million, so it's going to happen eventually.

#1309 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

It probably makes sense for the O's to keep him for now, in case the 2021 season is shortened and they can save some salary.  If they release him now, they have to pay all of it.

Even if they play a full season, every 7 games the cost of releasing him drops by $1 million, so it's going to happen eventually.

I get that they can save some money by keeping him around in a shortened season. (We are talking millions of dollars)

However, like Sean says, it think it's better for all parties involved to pay him not to play sooner than later.

• kudzu likes this

#1310 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

These days, is there any Orioles fan anywhere who would come to a game hoping to see Davis play?  If there is, they would be coming for all the wrong reasons and that's not good for building a long-term fan base.

The quicker he's off the team, the quicker the story goes away, and I know I'm not alone in wanting the story to go away.  I suspect Mike Elias would be happiest of all.  It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the question of how long next year's season will be is determined, but after that it's time to turn the page.

#1311 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,576 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:20 PM

#1233 - #1277

#1312 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:21 PM

105.7 The Fan: Mike Bordick on Chris Davis Bouncing Back: "It's Never Going To Happen Because Of His Work Habits."
https://www.radio.co...9YtpJJdteipaCNM

#1313 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

That now Palmer and Bordick who've called him out. He's not off limits. As I said, he's not even really trying anymore but he'll walk into that clubhouse everyday to collect a paycheck. Shameless greed.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#1314 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:32 PM

Placed on the 60 day IL

#1315 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:35 PM

Wonder if they actually release him after the 60 days are up. They should know by then if there is much chance of the season being shortened due to Covid, which I think is the only reason they haven't released him yet.

#1316 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:09 PM

Wonder if they actually release him after the 60 days are up. They should know by then if there is much chance of the season being shortened due to Covid, which I think is the only reason they haven't released him yet.

Id bet heavily he never takes another AB in pro baseball. Just glad hes not taking up a roster spot.

#1317 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

Id bet heavily he never takes another AB in pro baseball. Just glad hes not taking up a roster spot.

Agree 100%.  Give the Orioles credit for putting off releasing him far longer than they should.

@mikeghg

#1318 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:30 AM

I guess there's also the chance of a work stoppage next year, so there's one more opportunity to save money by keeping him.

#1319 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:43 AM

I think the future of Chris Davis is more tied into how they juggle Mancini, Mountcastle, and Santander between outfield spots, first base, and DH. If this team is competitive ( around .500) during the first months of the season I can't see a reason to bring Davis back. Yeah, you may save some money in a Covid shortened season. However, he's no longer a major league player and I think his taking a spot on the 26 man roster is problematic at this point. The breaking point may be the Orioles asking him to do a rehab stint in the minors. I doubt he can hit Single A pitching at this point.
  • B00E00N00 likes this

#1320 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:38 AM

Was listening to one of The Athletic's podcasts, "Rates and Barrels". 

Britt Ghiroli was on with the two who usually host on an April 30th episode. I'm going to quote what exactly what she said. Conversation started because they were talking about homers popping off in Camden Yards when the weather warms up. 

Britt: "I went to the Orioles-Yankees game the other day, no ones talking about this,  I'm too lazy to write it so I'm going to ask you guys, Where is Chris Davis? He's on the IL, but not really hurt, and no one knows where he is. It's like he kinda just went away?"

Host: "Oooooo. Phantom IL"

Britt: "Like where is he, and nobody cares. No one has even said anything. Halfway through the game I look, he's not starting, he's not on the roster, and the beat guys are like, 'drugs? I don't know'. 

Host: "It is a weird thing, people do abuse the IL. I was talking to a now retired pitcher once, I was kinda going through his injury history because he wasn't having a good year, and I wondered what happened there, and he told me that 'I had to go on the IL or they would release me'."

Confirms what we all suspect. Phantom IL is real. Ubaldo's pot hole in the players parking lot, etc...

Hope the "drugs" comment from whichever beat writer was tongue in cheek. 

Pretty obvious all this talk about Elias "having a plan" for Davis to get back on track, is a bunch of BS.

I don't understand. You get paid either way. Just release him. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=