Well, there goes our playoff chances.

#1362 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

At least he's expected to be ready by spring training next season. Let's gooooooooooo!

#1363 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

<p>Then just cut him and stop any taking up a spot on the 40 man. Not sure how that works with him on the IL but just move on.</p>

#1364 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

<p>Then just cut him and stop any taking up a spot on the 40 man. Not sure how that works with him on the IL but just move on.</p>

60 day doesn't count against the 40-man during the season.  

#1365 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

60 day doesn't count against the 40-man during the season.  

Ok thanks for the input. I figured as much. 

Now here's a sobering fact my son just pointed out. Now that Davis is out for the season this will be his BEST season since 2016 since his WAR is 0.00 and not negative.

• BobPhelan, Mackus, dude and 2 others like this

#1366 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

Guess it wasn't a phantom injury, then.

Still skeptical. Three months for a sore back. Then you need labrum surgery from sitting on your ass?

We should have a message board pool where everyone guesses what reported injury keeps him out of the 2022 season. Winner takes the pot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1367 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

Still skeptical. Three months for a sore back. Then you need labrum surgery from sitting on your ass?

We should have a message board pool where everyone guesses what reported injury keeps him out of the 2022 season. Winner takes the pot.

Good idea.

I don't think Davis will ever take the field in an Orioles uniform ever again.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1368 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

You can't have surgery for public relations reasons. That's not something any serious sports doctor would do. So if the surgery is happening, and being performed by a real doctor who is in the sports medicine field, I think it's fair to assume he needs it. Also why would Davis have the surgery if he didn't need it? Being sliced open, even for
minor arthroscopic stuff, isn't fun. There is no benefit to him doing this if not for a real purpose.

#1369 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2021 - 12:31 PM

There is no chance IMO, that Davis gets a surgery done or any doctor participates in a fake surgery.  Speaking from experience, hip issues can radiate into the back,

I don’t think we see Davis play again, but I do not think this is fake.

@mikeghg

#1370 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:57 PM

You can't have surgery for public relations reasons. That's not something any serious sports doctor would do. So if the surgery is happening, and being performed by a real doctor who is in the sports medicine field, I think it's fair to assume he needs it. Also why would Davis have the surgery if he didn't need it? Being sliced open, even for
minor arthroscopic stuff, isn't fun. There is no benefit to him doing this if not for a real purpose.

I guess he injured it ramping up his baseball activities that we’ve heard so much about.

Elective surgery on the O’s dime for something that has been a nuisance at worst. Scheduled by the Orioles when it’s convenient for them. As in at a point in the year where it can shelve him for the season. If they did this in March they would have to come up with another excuse in August.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1371 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:07 AM

Next year is his year!
@DaKittenz

#1372 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Next year is his year!

Hopefully he rebounds so they can extend him again.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1373 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:03 PM

Hopefully he rebounds so they can extend him again.

That's a really good idea actually. I think the contract should be something like this

From 2023 till 2028 Davis pays the Orioles $17M/year.

• Mashed Potatoes and Mike in STL like this

#1374 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:38 AM

Wow, he retired.

• BSLChrisStoner, B00E00N00 and weird-O like this

#1375 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:49 AM

Can't wait to see how the team uses that extra $23M next year.

#1376 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

Can't wait to see how the team uses that extra $23M next year.

According to Jon Heyman, the O's are still paying him next year but agreed to a restructuring.

#1377 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

I am a bit shocked.  Good for him, he has all the money he will ever need and he lets the Orioles off the hook for 23M.

Now with the non tender guys, we can really get that payroll down to a manageable level.

@mikeghg

#1378 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Good.

No ill will and thanks for all those homers but I was sick of him still being in the organization as a total zero.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1379 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:55 AM

According to Jon Heyman, the O's are still paying him next year but agreed to a restructuring.

I guess they'll just be adding another big chunk to all the deferred money. Maybe he'll still be our highest paid player in 2032 or something.

#1380 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:09 AM

According to sources, Davis' hip injury was much more serious than initially thought. Was degenerative and dysfunctional and he knew he could no longer play with it while rehabbing. So he came to the Orioles and they worked out a settlement that frees up payroll in 2022.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=