#3841 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:00 PM

I thought it was tonally different from what they usually do, and I appreciated that.

Felt like it explored the same kind of concept as Inside Out. I agree the tone is different but I felt like there's always been some amount of existential nature to some of the Pixar movies, the first Toy Story includes Buzz having an identity crisis

#3842 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:06 PM

Yeah I liked Soul too, wasn’t exactly what I expected in a good way.

Were you expecting them to spend the whole movie in the heaven/afterlife location? I assumed they'd do that so I pleasantly surprised how much happened on earth. 

#3843 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:48 AM

Same director from 1st movie, Patty Jenkins

Different writers as the 1st...

Patty Jenkins ... (story by) & Geoff Johns ... (story by) Patty Jenkins ... (screenplay by) & Geoff Johns ... (screenplay by) & Dave Callaham ...
(screenplay by)

Wonder Woman (2017)
Writing Credits Allan Heinberg ... (screenplay by) Zack Snyder ... (story by) & Allan Heinberg ... (story by) and Jason Fuchs ... (story by)

SPOILER ALERT

This mythical warrior armor made of every other Amazon's armor is just easily ripped apart in it's very first battle?

The cost of the wishes is so miniscule creating nukes in every crevice of the world only costs you a nosebleed?

Diana can fly by swinging from clouds? Even the CGI fight scenes were trash.

Everyone in the world gets a wish on the precipice of a nuclear holocaust and not a single person wishes for world peace? Not one!?!?!!?

Why again as Barbara gains power does she turn into a character from Cats?

Why is Diana so thirsty for a dude she knew for one week 50 years ago? Yes Chris Pine is attractive but I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding another on the planet.

Gal Gadot crushingly lands on the children she's trying to save, and no one fixed this in post? Also, perhaps most unbelievably, IDF soldier saving Arabic middle eastern children?!?!?!?! 😉
@DaKittenz

#3844 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:32 AM

Were you expecting them to spend the whole movie in the heaven/afterlife location? I assumed they'd do that so I pleasantly surprised how much happened on earth.

Yes exactly

#3845 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

I recommend Time on Amazon Prime. Really good doc.

#3846 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:03 AM

Oh and regarding Soul, I thought it was pretty great.

#3847 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:56 AM

Sylvie’s Love on Prime is a nice throwback to classic film from a different perspective than you would ever see back then. Really enjoyed it.

#3848 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:07 AM

Sylvie’s Love on Prime is a nice throwback to classic film from a different perspective than you would ever see back then. Really enjoyed it.

I really like Tessa Thompson. How is the Raiders cornerback at acting?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3849 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

The Midnight Sky was the very definition of mediocre. Most Netflix movies are. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3850 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

I really like Tessa Thompson. How is the Raiders cornerback at acting?

Really good, at least in this role.

I thought he looked familiar. Looks younger than 39. Kerry Washington must be rubbing off on him.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#3851 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

Really good, at least in this role.

I thought he looked familiar. Looks younger than 39. Kerry Washington must be rubbing off on him.

I wish she would rub on me.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#3852 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Watched two movies yesterday that have been available for streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime for a couple of years.

The Highwaymen - about the detectives who hunted down Bonnie & Clyde. Really well done and caught me by surprise since I have been down on Netflix movies for some time. One of their best IMO. Costner and Harrelson have great chemistry. 8/10

Yardie - directed by Idris Alba about a kid from Jamaica who gets wrapped up in the underworld of London after his brother is killed. Great soundtrack, somewhat cliched, but well acted and directed. 7/10

#3853 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:52 PM

Borat 2 is hilarious.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#3854 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

Having re-watched Steven Spielberg's 1987, Empire of the Sun film over the weekend. One of his underrated films IMO. It has a very young Christian Bale as the lead in it.

BTW - the book is great too.

https://www.amazon.c...10997940&sr=8-2

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3855 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:20 AM

Watched Tenet last night. I really liked it. Like others have said it's not as good as Interstellar or Inception, but it did keep me very entertained. I thought Robert Pattinson was great, maybe the first time I've seen him play something other than "mopey" as the base characteristic of a role and he nailed it with a fun, erratic energy. I have no idea how they shot this movie with things going forwards and backwards.

Don't have my theater room set up yet, so I didn't get good sound just using my TV's speakers, which made the dialog difficult to understand at times and made a intentionally confusing plot a bit more confusing. But about an hour in everything kind of clicked and from that point on it was really fun. Looking forward to watching it again once I can get the right viewing experience set up.

#3856 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

No it’s not that you didn’t have your speakers set up. I watched it on my home system and couldn’t understand half the dialog either. This is something Nolan intentionally does for some reason. Action is ear blistering loud and dialog is routinely low volume or muffled incoherently. It frustrated me to the point of not really caring about the movie that much. If you intentionally confuse and frustrate the audience with weird mixes why should I care what is happening on screen?

Overall I enjoy his movies and appreciate his vision for films and cinema in an era of comic book over saturation but there are two sides to that. At times he comes across as self important. I also think since Inception, which was all the way around amazing, his movies have been somewhat of a disappointment and failed to live up to his earlier work. I don’t want to say overrated but he’s getting there fast.

#3857 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

As much as I love Inception, Interstellar is still my favorite of his.  That movie hits me different, definitely get that it's a slow burn and ain't for everybody.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#3858 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

Watched Tenet last night. I really liked it. Like others have said it's not as good as Interstellar or Inception, but it did keep me very entertained. I thought Robert Pattinson was great, maybe the first time I've seen him play something other than "mopey" as the base characteristic of a role and he nailed it with a fun, erratic energy. I have no idea how they shot this movie with things going forwards and backwards.

Don't have my theater room set up yet, so I didn't get good sound just using my TV's speakers, which made the dialog difficult to understand at times and made a intentionally confusing plot a bit more confusing. But about an hour in everything kind of clicked and from that point on it was really fun. Looking forward to watching it again once I can get the right viewing experience set up.

Everybody told me it was nonsensical but I thought it was a fun flick, the key was having CC on. Being able to see exactly what everyone said was crucial, I would've been lost just relying on my ears. Like Inception the concept isn't foolproof and there are plenty of holes to poke, but if you just accept the basic premise of the world and hang on for the ride it's delightful.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DaKittenz

#3859 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

Everybody told me it was nonsensical but I thought it was a fun flick, the key was having CC on. Being able to see exactly what everyone said was crucial, I would've been lost just relying on my ears. Like Inception the concept isn't foolproof and there are plenty of holes to poke, but if you just accept the basic premise of the world and hang on for the ride it's delightful.

I watch everything with CC regardless of what the audio is like, always good to make sure you know exactly what they're saying

#3860 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Watching a $200 million movie with CC on when you’re not deaf. Douche move by Nolan.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=