4263 replies to this topic

#3821 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

Great moments in movie history... 1st, The Empire Strikes Back and than Return of the Jedi...

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3822 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:52 PM

Huge news from WB, they’re going to release all new movies in 2021 on HBO Max at the same time as theaters.

https://www.theverge...squad-space-jam
  • Mark Carver likes this

#3823 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:35 AM

Huge news from WB, they’re going to release all new movies in 2021 on HBO Max at the same time as theaters.

https://www.theverge...squad-space-jam

Sounds good to me. The last time I went to theater was I think 2012 and that was because I won the tickets free from 98 Rock. It was one of the Spiderman movies. Don't remember which one.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3824 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

Sounds good to me. The last time I went to theater was I think 2012 and that was because I won the tickets free from 98 Rock. It was one of the Spiderman movies. Don't remember which one.

I have to admit taking the grandkids to a several movies over the years, but before covid.

I did have a date night and saw Hitman's Bodyguard back in 2017 and that was a decent flick for sure.

I also caught the Liam Neeson movie commuter in 2018,  Should have waited until it was out on RedBox. :)

#3825 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:55 AM

Mank was meh for me. I wanted it to be more about the clashes with Welles over making CK, not the stuff that lead up to it. 

also, they have oldman playing a much younger person so that was odd. 

otherwise, it looks great and is well acted. I just didn’t realize it would be so much about politics. 

but it’s a “movie about movies” so it’ll clean up at the oscars, if they happen. 

• BobPhelan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3826 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

Actually just watched Cast Away for the first time and didn't love it. It's a good movie, but it's obviously pretty slow and I just wasn't enthralled with it.

#3827 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2020 - 03:58 PM

Actually just watched Cast Away for the first time and didn't love it. It's a good movie, but it's obviously pretty slow and I just wasn't enthralled with it.

Played better 20 years ago.

#3828 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:11 PM

The Nice Guys (2016) was really excellent, nice combination of action and comedy with Ryan Gosling in a less serious role than I was used to 

• BobPhelan and Dupin like this

#3829 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

The Nice Guys (2016) was really excellent, nice combination of action and comedy with Ryan Gosling in a less serious role than I was used to

Loved it.

#3830 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:44 PM

Sound of Metal is a great movie starring Riz Ahmed that came out on prime video this weekend.

#3831 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:46 PM

Mank was meh for me. I wanted it to be more about the clashes with Welles over making CK, not the stuff that lead up to it.

also, they have oldman playing a much younger person so that was odd.

otherwise, it looks great and is well acted. I just didn’t realize it would be so much about politics.

but it’s a “movie about movies” so it’ll clean up at the oscars, if they happen.

Completely agree. Should’ve called it Mehnk

#3832 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

Also enjoyed this a lot.

Mark Wahlberg is an interesting case. I don't think he's a particularly good actor, but I like him in basically everything he does. I enjoy him in comedies, I enjoy him in dramatic roles like this, he's good at silly popcorn flicks. But I don't think I have ever watched a movie of his and thought that he just killed the role and was really great in it.

I am in the same ballpark with you.

I have probably watched "Rock Star" a dozen or so times. ( including partial watches)

It's not a good movie, but there is something about the movie and his performance that draws me to it.

In the Fighter he held his own with Christian Bale, so you have to give him his due as an actor.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#3833 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:41 AM

Here's an interview with 92 year old Paul Dooley, who was great as the Dad in Breaking Away and Sixteen Candles.

Interview: Movie dad Paul Dooley talks about Breaking Away, Popeye (avclub.com)

#3834 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:29 AM

Watched Tenet last night. I felt bad for my neighbor. Dialog is low, almost inaudible, but the music, sound effects and low frequency is jacked to the max. Apparently Nolan likes it this way. As for the movie, it's technically well made, with a total mind f--- plot and absolutely no heart or soul to speak of. Just like pretty much all of his movies. I honestly checked out halfway through it. If people thought this film was going to save the theater industry in the middle of a pandemic I don't know what they were thinking.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3835 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:58 PM

Watched the Muppet Christmas Carol for the first time, really cute and Michael Caine was perfect for this

• Dupin likes this

#3836 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

Soul was really solid, don't know if it's on the top tier of Pixar movies but still really strong and worth my time

#3837 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

WW84 was a very bad, nonsensical movie. I mean I enjoyed it, but it was very bad.
@DaKittenz

#3838 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:42 PM

WW84 was a very bad, nonsensical movie. I mean I enjoyed it, but it was very bad.

Same director from 1st movie, Patty Jenkins

Different writers as the 1st...

Patty Jenkins ... (story by) & Geoff Johns ... (story by)   Patty Jenkins ... (screenplay by) & Geoff Johns ... (screenplay by) & Dave Callaham ...

(screenplay by)

Wonder Woman (2017)

Writing Credits   Allan Heinberg ... (screenplay by)   Zack Snyder ... (story by) & Allan Heinberg ... (story by) and Jason Fuchs ... (story by)
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#3839 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

Soul was really solid, don't know if it's on the top tier of Pixar movies but still really strong and worth my time

I thought it was tonally different from what they usually do, and I appreciated that.

#3840 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:39 PM

Yeah I liked Soul too, wasn’t exactly what I expected in a good way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=