637 replies to this topic

#581 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Having standards of dress doesn't seem racial to me.  

Having double standards of dress does. 

It depends on what's allowed versus what isn't and what the venue is.  If you're casual place allowing Doc Martens but not allowing Timberlands, that's a problem.

• The Epic likes this

#582 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

Should there never be a dress code in places? 

One memory which stands out for me, is the night I got engaged Laura and I went to dinner at Ruth's Chris, which has a location around the corner from us in Pikesville. I still remember being annoyed at the white kid at the next table who was wearing a baseball cap (against posted standards). 

I wasn't uncomfortable that he had a baseball cap on. I was annoyed.  

That memory stood out for me, and we never went back there. 

Having standards of dress doesn't seem racial to me.  
Having double standards of dress does. 

I went to the Ruth's Chris in Pikesville, once. Their steak wasn't seasoned enough and I never went back, because it just wasn't good enough for the price point. My wife had an excellent tuna steak apparently. Neither here nor there.

Dress codes are really a "your mileage may vary" type of thing. If the dress code looks like it's trying to keep out a certain type of people, they probably are. But I'm not against dress codes, per se. It's really a gut feeling.

#583 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

I know nothing about Choptank. Never heard of it until now.

I’m just talking in general.

Personally, dress codes have always irritated me in many settings. I don’t know how many times over the years I was in a bar and told to turn my hat around. Was always kind of dumb to me because I wasn’t going to “nice places”.

But if I go to a nice place, I expect there to be a dress code.

Just as when I go to a nice place to eat, I don’t expect to see chicken tenders on the menu and I expect even better service, etc...

It’s part of the whole experience. It’s also why I try not to go to those places because I hate to dress up but I also know that I shouldn’t expect to be let into those places either.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

In general dress codes are fine.  But there are ones that aren't based on what is being excluded.  Choptank is just an obvious example since it is local, was pretty big in the news a year or two ago when they were about to open and people caught wind of the dress code, and is owned by the same group that just had another dress code snafu (selective enforcement rather than it being a racist dress code in itself).

The original Choptank dress code is what makes me think this incident at Ouzo Bay is a problem with roots in ownership and not an isolated idiot manager.  The owner has lost his benefit of the doubt.

#584 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

I went to the Ruth's Chris in Pikesville, once. Their steak wasn't seasoned enough and I never went back, because it just wasn't good enough for the price point. My wife had an excellent tuna steak apparently. Neither here nor there.

Dress codes are really a "your mileage may vary" type of thing. If the dress code looks like it's trying to keep out a certain type of people, they probably are. But I'm not against dress codes, per se. It's really a gut feeling.

Agreed on the steak, not a fan... also agree with your wife, their seafood is better.  Overall, meh. 

#585 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

I think in some cases you will find racist people who have a dress code specifically to keep out blacks.

But as I said, I think most dress codes are to keep out a certain element. Black people aren’t the only race that wears pants stupidly low, hoodies, athletic wear, etc...all races do that. No one should be pinning that on just the black culture. However, if that is the element/environment (whatever wording you want to use) you want to avoid in your business, that’s your right.

But you can’t have inconsistency with it. Once she pointed out the white kid who had those clothes on, the restaurant should have said, you are right..we must have missed it and that you will allow them to eat there this one time..something along those lines.

They look nothing but bad there.

#586 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

In general dress codes are fine.  But there are ones that aren't based on what is being excluded.  Choptank is just an obvious example since it is local, was pretty big in the news a year or two ago when they were about to open and people caught wind of the dress code, and is owned by the same group that just had another dress code snafu (selective enforcement rather than it being a racist dress code in itself).

The original Choptank dress code is what makes me think this incident at Ouzo Bay is a problem with roots in ownership and not an isolated idiot manager.  The owner has lost his benefit of the doubt.

The problem is, we don’t know what it’s like all the time.

You have the issue at choptank and this one.

Maybe that’s a sampling that is enough..or maybe they happened to deal with 2 morons who handled the situation incorrectly.

We also don’t know what happened after the video. Maybe they ended up seating her and gave her a free meal and made up for it.

Who knows but the video obviously looks terrible.

#587 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

Agree with your  Ruth Chris take.  We occassionally take a client there and I always feel like the food is over rated and too expoensive.

Dress Codes often raise debate.  Honestly until this thread, I have never really considered they were aimed to keep people out.  Most of the Dress Codes have been relaxed over the years.  

Funny story, we were in New York, many years ago for a ball game at old Yankee Stadium.  We were with clients (Yoo Hoo Beverages) and after the afternoon game, we wanted to get an early and nice dinner.  We were dressed, in business causal type attire and had windbreaker jackets on.  We went to a place in NY called Sparks Steak House.  Sparks has long been a top notch place to eat, with many of the rich and famous as frequent visitors.  At the time, a jacket and tie was a must.  We got there around 4:30 PM and they seated us.  We had dinner and were just sitting talking.  There were 6 of us and we plunked down almost a grand for dinner.   The owner came over and said we were not dressed properly as the dinner crowd was coming in.  They covered our jackets with white napkins and nicely but firmly asked us to be out in 30 minutes.  Given the dress of the crowd coming in, I did not get that upset about it, but they did wait until they had our money before asking us to hurry up.  We walked out and Mariano Rivera and Paul O'Neill were coming in.  Mo did not have a tie on.  They let him in.  I guess his cutter was better than mine.

• The Epic likes this
@mikeghg

#588 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

But you can’t have inconsistency with it. Once she pointed out the white kid who had those clothes on, the restaurant should have said, you are right..we must have missed it and that you will allow them to eat there this one time..something along those lines.

They look nothing but bad there.

That's what I don't get. He literally could have said, "Damn...you're right. That's messed up" and let them in. The guy could just be a grade A moron but the fact that it took that long and he had no answer screams racism there.

Dress codes are kinda touchy because there's no overt racism there (this being a clear exception, lol). But if you see something banned that is worn/styled by mostly black people, your antennae should go up. 

#589 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:17 PM

Agree with your  Ruth Chris take.  We occassionally take a client there and I always feel like the food is over rated and too expoensive.

Dress Codes often raise debate.  Honestly until this thread, I have never really considered they were aimed to keep people out.  Most of the Dress Codes have been relaxed over the years.  

Funny story, we were in New York, many years ago for a ball game at old Yankee Stadium.  We were with clients (Yoo Hoo Beverages) and after the afternoon game, we wanted to get an early and nice dinner.  We were dressed, in business causal type attire and had windbreaker jackets on.  We went to a place in NY called Sparks Steak House.  Sparks has long been a top notch place to eat, with many of the rich and famous as frequent visitors.  At the time, a jacket and tie was a must.  We got there around 4:30 PM and they seated us.  We had dinner and were just sitting talking.  There were 6 of us and we plunked down almost a grand for dinner.   The owner came over and said we were not dressed properly as the dinner crowd was coming in.  They covered our jackets with white napkins and nicely but firmly asked us to be out in 30 minutes.  Given the dress of the crowd coming in, I did not get that upset about it, but they did wait until they had our money before asking us to hurry up.  We walked out and Mariano Rivera and Paul O'Neill were coming in.  Mo did not have a tie on.  They let him in.  I guess his cutter was better than mine.

That is an awesome story! LOL

Most people that have met me know that I dress business casual almost all the time, so I can only think of...err...two times where I've been singled out for dress code violations (one at UNC, which was definitely hypocritical as they banned me from wearing my Randy Moss jersey and someone was wearing an Eddie George jersey inside. The other was at The Prime Rib). Might be more but it's all I can think of. 

#590 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

The problem is, we don’t know what it’s like all the time.
You have the issue at choptank and this one.
Maybe that’s a sampling that is enough..or maybe they happened to deal with 2 morons who handled the situation incorrectly.
We also don’t know what happened after the video. Maybe they ended up seating her and gave her a free meal and made up for it.
Who knows but the video obviously looks terrible.

https://www.google.c...ore-latest/amp/

So he was a manager and obviously she didn’t get seated.

https://www.google.c...rsy-latest/amp/

Both managers fired and they changed the policy that under 12 doesn’t matter...which is the way it should have been to begin with imo.

#591 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:35 PM

Ruth’s Chris is good for Thanksgiving. Done it three years in a row. Agree on the steaks. I make a better one at home. But on thanksgiving, the turkey dinner is priced right for what you get, and they send you home with a second plate for leftovers. We’ll order a bunch of extra sides. BBQ shrimp, lobster Mac, sweet potato casserole, all ridiculously good.

But yeah, last year my Bday fell on turkey day so I got the cowboy steak, tomahawk ribeye, whatever it’s called. And, meh.
@BSLMikeRandall

#592 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

I really enjoy Tagliata and Ouzo Bay, but the Atlas Group absolutely needs to reevaluate their policies.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#593 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

I really enjoy Tagliata and Ouzo Bay, but the Atlas Group absolutely needs to reevaluate their policies.

I don’t know that they need to change their policies but they need to be consistent with their rules.

#594 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:18 AM

I was about to say, "Look, man, when's Fogo coming back?" 

And ohhh nooooo Fogo can't work in a COVID environment. YIKES!

#595 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:03 AM

Clyde's of Columbia and The Soundry are both closing.  Clyde's had been there since 1975.

#596 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Ciao Bella’s in Little Italy is closing.

#597 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

Ciao Bella’s in Little Italy is closing.

Little Italy is all but dead. It's sad, because there use to be so many great places to eat in that neighborhood. Ciao Bella's was in steep decline anyway, so no real loss there (for me personally, as a restaurant goer).  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#598 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:31 AM

Little Italy is all but dead. It's sad, because there use to be so many great places to eat in that neighborhood. Ciao Bella's was in steep decline anyway, so no real loss there (for me personally, as a restaurant goer).  

Easy, now. Don't make me dislike you..

#599 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

https://www.thrillis...rants-baltimore

#600 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:18 PM

Been to about half of that list and all are excellent.

Lobo's just announced they are closing.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=