637 replies to this topic

#621 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:40 AM

The Canopy in Ellicott city, little hole in the wall, carryout only.

But their food is fab

Not as good as Chap's, but they do have really good pit beef.

#622 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:17 AM

Pioneer Pit Beef is great, too.

#623 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

I loved The Canopy in Glen Burnie. Used to go there all the time.

#624 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:40 PM

Ruth Chris is so over-rated, not sure how they can stay in business with inferior food and high end prices.

#625 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

Any Odenton people here?

Did Jims Hideway ever reopen on the inside?

haven been there is years, and been thinking about needing to revisit there.

#626 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

Ruth Chris is so over-rated, not sure how they can stay in business with inferior food and high end prices.

I think you just described every steakhouse. If you have a cast iron pan and a broiler you can do just as good if not better than a steakhouse for a third of the price. Unless it’s one that dry ages their meats or something fancy like that which you’ll certainly pay extra for. I can’t remember the last time I went out for a steak.
@BSLMikeRandall

#627 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

I think you just described every steakhouse. If you have a cast iron pan and a broiler you can do just as good if not better than a steakhouse for a third of the price. Unless it’s one that dry ages their meats or something fancy like that which you’ll certainly pay extra for. I can’t remember the last time I went out for a steak.

Yep. Wife makes a mean steak at home using stovetop and oven and I have an Ooni pizza oven that can get to 900 degrees and I can do a steak in there on cast iron sizzle pans in about 5 mins. Just as good or better than any upscale steakhouse.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#628 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

I miss McCafferty's...that was the best local steak imo.

#629 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

I miss McCafferty's...that was the best local steak imo.

Can’t say I’ve even heard of them.
@BSLMikeRandall

#630 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:06 PM

Hanger steak at Langerman's was my favorite dish in the city before they closed. That's not a top end cut so not really in the "steakhouse" category.

#631 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

Can’t say I’ve even heard of them.

Was in Mt. Washington. Sons of former Colts HC. Huge memorabilia. But calling card was the steaks which were just ridic.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#632 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:49 AM

I think there is a huge difference here.

At least in my perspective.

Longhorn / Lonestar / Logans / Texas Roadhouse / Outback are all pretty much in the 13-27 range, depending on house steak, ribeye, etc.

Of course the Ribeye is going to taste better than the House Sirloin. But, when on a budget. I would rather have a House Sirloin over a fast food burger.

Ruth Chris steaks start in the 40 range and end up at 59 for their Ribeye. Longhorn's Outlaw Ribeye is twice the quality at half the price that Ruth Chris is.

It would be like buying a Chevy Corvette and it running like a Chevy Impala, Or a Ford Mustang GT and get a Fusion quality.

Are the steak chains perfect, no, but typically, they do a better job of cooking steaks, and I will send a steak back to the kitchen if I have to.

As the price of the food goes up, my tolerance for inferior goes down.

#633 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

Bar Vazquez announces it's closing.

#634 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

Alma Cocina is my new favorite Baltimore restaurant. Amazing.

• Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#635 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:52 AM

Stuggy’s is set to move from its cramped location on South Broadway in Fells Point over to a more spacious location on 1928 Fleet St (formerly Papi Cuisine) by the end of the year.

#636 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:55 AM

I went to a new BBQ place over the weekend, and it was awesome.  2Fifty BBQ, in Riverdale Park, MD just south of College Park on Rt 1.  We had the Wagyu brisket and pulled pork, and both were great.  I think this is the best BBQ in the area - highly recommended.

Handcrafted & Wood Smoked BBQ Joint | 2fifty – Central Texas Style BBQ (2fiftybbq.com)

• Mackus likes this

#637 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:59 AM

Mission BBQ has a new blackplate smokeout strip steak, had that last night, and hard to beat, an $11 that tastes great, is juicy and tender enough to cut with a plastic knige.

#638 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:40 AM

Went to Limoncello last week, enjoyed that. 

Also recently went to Perennial, that was also good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=