#101 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Is it just me, or does Hardy seem like he's in a really, really good mood all the time?

Everybody *says* they're happy as a clam just to be playing baseball... everybody *says* "I'm just happy to be here"... but with Hardy that seems to be the actual truth...

(Maybe he's just like that... maybe he'd be a happy guy regardless of what he's doing...)

I think he's a player that just goes about his business, nothing really flashy about him.
@levineps

#102 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

Hardy is getting X-rays on his ribs.

He was hit by a pitch in the game.

#103 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Per Roch:

Hardy X-rays on ribs negative: "They're fine. They hurt but they're fine. They hurt a lot."

Sounds like he could at least miss a game or two, but glad to hear the x-rays were negative.

#104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Feels like Hardy has been playing better, but the numbers don't really show that.

He had a .642 OPS prior to the All-Star break, and has had a .654 OPS since.
Pretty crazy that he has had 3 full months during '12 (April, June, July) with his batting average below .200. Even in August it is just .222.

I've said it over and over, but the O's really need him to produce down the stretch.

#105 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Please.Get.Him.Out.Of.The.2.Hole.

Rock solid defense at SS, though, which certainly has not gone unnoticed, given the rest of the defensive performance.

@AdamWolff

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Incredibly unlucky year for Hardy...234 BABIP.

Contact% is up as well.

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Contact% is up as well.

I don't think the bad luck can explain this drastic of a dropoff in his performance(not that you were claiming it did). I think it's mostly just a bad season. The unlucky BABIP certainly is exacerbating (I love that word) the situation, though.

#108 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Contact% is up as well.

I've thought he's gotten the short end of the stick, and that's before I even saw that stat. What really stands out for me (granted it's only one AB) is the Trout catcher, 9 out of 10 times thats a homer.

That being said, it's a down year compared to last. I expected a bit of a drop-off but not this much.
@levineps

#109 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Rock solid defense at SS, though, which certainly has not gone unnoticed, given the rest of the defensive performance.

That's why I can tolerate his shortcomings this year.
@levineps

#110 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't think the bad luck can explain this drastic of a dropoff in his performance(not that you were claiming it did). I think it's mostly just a bad season. The unlucky BABIP certainly is exacerbating (I love that word) the situation, though.

Well, at the moment, his LD% is the highest it has been since 2007, although its barely higher than last year and the year before. In those years, his BABIP was much higher.

His walks are the same as last year..His K rate is what it usually is.

His HR/FB % is a little down from his career average.

Most of his other batted ball data is fine.

His numbers are down because of his BA and his unlucky BABIP really explains that.

If his average were in the 260 range, then he would probably be pushing his OPS closer to where you would expect.

You still expect him toend up with 50ish XBH, which isn't far behind last year...a season where he hit more homers than you would expect.

#111 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hes still a valuable guy and I think he'll bounce back like SG says. But he'd be alot more valuable hitting in the bottom half of the lineup.

#112 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Beautiful double play started by Hardy tonight in Detroit. For the spot, one of the best defensive plays of the year.

#113 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

I know many aren't happy with his offense and I'm disappointed myself. I think his defense makes up partially his offensive shortcomings. I don't think it'd be so bad, if he were lower in the lineup. His year last year really raised expectations. I still maintain he's gotten a bit unlucky.
@levineps

#114 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

I know many aren't happy with his offense and I'm disappointed myself. I think his defense makes up partially his offensive shortcomings. I don't think it'd be so bad, if he were lower in the lineup. His year last year really raised expectations. I still maintain he's gotten a bit unlucky.

I feel the same way. Those who are in a big hurry to trade Hardy forget what a wasteland SS was here after Bordick left. JJ has struggled at the plate, and does not belong in the 2 spot but he maybe the best SS in the AL. He plays everyday and is brilliant with the glove. Maybe MM could take his place but Mannny looks very good defensively at third and I feel we are a lot better off with JJ and MM rather than Manny at SS and Betemit at third.
@mikeghg

#115 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

The fact that the Orioles could have gotten a pretty good return for him last year and didn't jump all over it makes me mad. I know the Reds were throwing around Zack Cozart and even Todd Frazier. No idea who the Braves would have been willing to give up for him, but I remember hearing that they were interested. At this point, it would be stupid to trade Hardy because his value is so low right now. Hopefully he can have a rebound year next season and we can trade him.

Hardy can field whatever he can get to on defense, but I can count on zero fingers the number of times I can remember him actually diving for a ball. His inability to draw walks is concerning as well.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#116 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hardy can field whatever he can get to on defense, but I can count on zero fingers the number of times I can remember him actually diving for a ball.

I think that's a silly thing to keep track of. You don't measure a SS by how often he falls over. Belanger never dove for balls either, and he was as good as anybody ever.

Personally, I'm very happy to have Hardy at SS. With him there, you don't have to worry about anything. Plus, he's a better hitter than his numbers this year indicate. I see no reason why we shouldn't start next year with SS and 3B just like we have right now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#117 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think that's a silly thing to keep track of. You don't measure a SS by how often he falls over. Belanger never dove for balls either, and he was as good as anybody ever.

Personally, I'm very happy to have Hardy at SS. With him there, you don't have to worry about anything. Plus, he's a better hitter than his numbers this year indicate. I see no reason why we shouldn't start next year with SS and 3B just like we have right now...

Yeah I completely appreciate being solid and Fielding what you get to. I'm good with this set up and I'd be good with Hardy at 2nd Manny at short if we brought in a good defensive 3b too.
@JeremyMStrain

#118 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yeah I completely appreciate being solid and Fielding what you get to.

It's the Web Gems disease... they'd never show Hardy getting to a ball that some other guy would dive to get to... even though Hardy would be more likely to throw the guy out...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#119 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Put Manny in the position he will be in for years.

Trade Hardy or move him to second. Those should be the only 2 options IMO.

#120 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Put Manny in the position he will be in for years.

Trade Hardy or move him to second. Those should be the only 2 options IMO.

I don't see why. Manny playing 3B isn't gonna hurt anything. Earl played Cal at 3B during his ROY season until July, and the only reason he moved him then is because he decided he'd rather have Rayford's bat at 3B instead of Sakata at SS.

Just because Manny is gonna play SS before too long, that doesn't mean there needs to be a big rush to do it. It comes down to plusses and minuses about what the fall out is for the team's overall offense and defense. Unless Hardy forgot how to hit, there's no good reason to rush him out of being our SS.

The bottom line should be whether or not we can wind up with an overall better IF, both hitting and fielding. That's what should decide it, not some knee-jerk rush to hurry Manny into the SS role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=