Sucks for JJ.  Heal fast!!

@mikeghg

#463 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Really nice moment there in the game today, with the players coming out of the dugout and clapping for JJ.... nice round of applause from the crowd as well.

Seems like a good bet today's his last home game. Hope he can stay with the organization in some capacity.

• DuffMan likes this

#464 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I think he could catch on somewhere to play next year if he wants to keep going.

#465 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

I think he could catch on somewhere to play next year if he wants to keep going.

Yea, I wonder this too.

Who are we to say he should retire but I think he should.

But it wouldn't be shocking if some team that just wants good defense at SS takes a chance on him at a low salary.

#466 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

According to Palmer he still wants to play next year. Thinks he can catch on with an NL team, but apparently even he doesn't think he's a starter anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to a giving him Minor League deal. Assuming he's done that was a nice finish for him in front of the home crowd.  

#467 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

According to Palmer he still wants to play next year. Thinks he can catch on with an NL team, but apparently even he doesn't think he's a starter anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to a giving him Minor League deal. Assuming he's done that was a nice finish for him in front of the home crowd.  

Yea, he said on the post game, that he thought he could still play.

Interesting interview.  Palmer clearly holds JJ in high regard.

@mikeghg

#468 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

JJ in the lineup again tonight in Pittsburgh.  I think Buck wants him to go out on the field instead of sitting in the dug out.

@mikeghg

#469 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

JJ in the lineup again tonight in Pittsburgh.  I think Buck wants him to go out on the field instead of sitting in the dug out.

Why not at this point. He certainly deserves it.

#470 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Ehh, Beckham pulled a hamstring. That said, don't care if Buck want t play JJ at this point. 

#471 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,258 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

JJ is one of my all time favorite O's. He's just a class act and solid baseball player. Like to see the O's add him to the coaching staff.

• Mike B likes this

#472 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

Are there many examples of players going directly from playing to being on the coaching staff the next year?  I can't think of any, but I don't really pay attention to the coaching hires of other teams.

I'm on board if JJ decides he wants to retire and get into coaching.  Not sure who he'd replace on the MLB coaching staff, gotta be Dickerson I'd guess unless we just name him some sort of roving instructor like Mike Bordick who largely focuses on the minor leaguers but is in uniform on occasion.

#473 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

JJ is going to play next year.

#474 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

I also think that is likely.

He seems like he still wants to play.  And guys who look a lot more washed up than he does have been given chances before.  He can still field.  I bet some time will at least give him a minor league invite to see if he can get back to hitting in the 650+ area, which wouldn't be all that surprising to me.

Would certainly love to have him in the organization in some capacity if he decides he wants to stay in baseball once his playing days are done, whenever that may be.

#475 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

He'll get a guaranteed  contract. His leadership and defense at SS will be rewarded. It'll be a 1 yr relatively cheap deal.

#476 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

JJ is one of my all time favorite O's. He's just a class act and solid baseball player. Like to see the O's add him to the coaching staff.

I am right there with you, but he is not ready to retire.

@mikeghg

#477 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

He'll get a guaranteed  contract. His leadership and defense at SS will be rewarded. It'll be a 1 yr relatively cheap deal.

I would not be surprised if that cheap deal came from the Orioles.

The players hold him in high esteem and Buck and the organization clearly like him.

I like you want to see Beckham become the super utility type.  I can live with Beckham at short some of the time, but his glove will [rove to be lacking if he were to play there 150 games.

@mikeghg

#478 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I previously wouldn't have been surprised to see the O's bring him back, but the way they treated Sunday like it was obviously his last game at home makes me think that everybody knows he's moving on and the team isn't gonna bring him back.

#479 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

I previously wouldn't have been surprised to see the O's bring him back, but the way they treated Sunday like it was obviously his last game at home makes me think that everybody knows he's moving on and the team isn't gonna bring him back.

Whos everybody?? The fans, the players, even Buck?? Buck is the only one who might know what the future holds. Unless JJ has already told his teammates he's retiring and we've already established we dont think  that is likely.

#480 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Whos everybody?? The fans, the players, even Buck?? Buck is the only one who might know what the future holds. Unless JJ has already told his teammates he's retiring and we've already established we dont think  that is likely.

I don't think the players initiate a standing ovation for Hardy during his first plate appearance of the last game of the season if it was just an open-ended question about whether he would be returning or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=