513 replies to this topic

#481 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I think its  assumed  by the players since Beckham has been getting reg playing time and JJ is a FA. Its something I think they'd do it for any long term core player that was going into FA.

#482 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

I think its  assumed  by the players since Beckham has been getting reg playing time and JJ is a FA. Its something I think they'd do it for any long term core player that was going into FA.

I don't recall them doing it for Markakis, Chen, Wieters (either time), or Davis.  They didn't do anything for Tillman and he's been as big of a contributor as Hardy.  Roberts ?  He was hurt but maybe they did something?

#483 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Point taken. Maybe they do know he's retiring or that its a strong possibility. I dont think he'll be back here  but I don't think anyone knows that for sure.

#484 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:00 PM

Now an Orioles HOFer https://twitter.com/...485376475848704

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

she/her

#485 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:09 PM

Very well deserved.

Awesome class, btw. Devereux, Joe Angel, and Mo also being honored.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#486 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:37 PM

Congrats and well deserved.

#487 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:04 PM

Congrats to all of them.  

I did not realize Devo was not in the HOF.

JJ is well deserved.  I always like watching guys that play the game the right way and JJ certainly fit that description.

JJ made all the plays and had many clutch hits, but the play that always will be first when I think of JJ, will be him steami8ng around the bases after the Delmon double.

@mikeghg

#488 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

He also had to be making an equally heads up play in order for the Manny fake throw to have worked. He's an essential part of the best play and another top play in recent Orioles memory.
  • Mike B likes this

#489 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:10 PM

He also had to be making an equally heads up play in order for the Manny fake throw to have worked. He's an essential part of the best play and another top play in recent Orioles memory.

JJ will fit right in with the great shortstops that are all ready in the Orioles HOF.

@mikeghg

#490 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:38 PM

I think he’ll be a solid coach one day too. Although maybe not the right demeanor for manager.

#491 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:10 PM

Orioles HOF induction tonight.

#492 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:47 AM

#493 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:47 AM

#494 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:57 AM

Love that they included the 2 Pesky Pole HRs in one game, don't think we'll see an Oriole ever do that again 

she/her

#495 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 04:51 PM

Not sure he belongs in an Oriole HOF stats-wise but I can appreciate his participation in some of the best Orioles teams of my generation.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#496 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:30 AM

Not sure he belongs in an Oriole HOF stats-wise but I can appreciate his participation in some of the best Orioles teams of my generation.

I think he belongs.  JJ, contributions off and on the field were key to the 5 years of success the Orioles had.  Big Ben alluded to Hardy's role in helping keep younger players grounded.  I think most of  Manny's antics happened after JJ left

@mikeghg

#497 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:04 AM

The baseline for entry is pretty low, he clearly belongs. Hardy had more games played and WAR in an O's uniform than Alomar, Baines, Bordick, Gentile, May, Woodling. Lowenstein and Roenicke were kind of a tandem selection I know. Devereaux this year. He's comparable to Aparicio, Buford, Dauer, and Triandos. He was worth 15.7 WAR in 7 years with the team, 889 games.

I could understand if someone wanted a more selective HOF but he should be in the one that they have. I'm fine with how they do it FWIW, it doesn't really matter.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#498 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

I think you're gonna have a hard time arguing against anyone who was part of all 3 playoff teams with regular playing time just in terms of their value to the organization  

• Mike B likes this

she/her

#499 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:04 PM

I don't think the O's HOF is checking VORP or anything.  He's third all-time in games at SS as an O, won a few gold gloves, played in the postseason three times, and he was a fan favorite.  That's more than enough. 

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#500 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:21 PM

Yeah Im fine with how they do it. They can retire the numbers of the great Orioles. Im not even talking just the HOFers. Guys like Belanger, Blair, Powell should be seriously considered to have their numbers retired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=