#121 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

He's actually not on pace for 30 steals, more like 24.

Anyway, yeah, he's been very productive; you have to be happy with a .532 slugging.

As Ricker brings up, the lack of walks is upsetting, but as he said, it's about time to give up on that getting better. Heck, this year he's actually been worse than ever in walk % at 3.3 compared to his career rate of 4.7 so hopefully he can get back to that level at least.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Should be the guy we dangle for an TOR starter if possible.

Good luck getting your other players to extend with you, if a year after you extend Jones, you trade him.

I mean, I understand you could probably come up with a trade that works baseball wise (though not easily)... but in real world application, he's as close to un-tradeable as there gets.

#123 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

He's actually not on pace for 30 steals, more like 24.

Anyway, yeah, he's been very productive; you have to be happy with a .532 slugging.

As Ricker brings up, the lack of walks is upsetting, but as he said, it's about time to give up on that getting better. Heck, this year he's actually been worse than ever in walk % at 3.3 compared to his career rate of 4.7 so hopefully he can get back to that level at least.

Yeah, he's technially on pace for a 30-25ish season, but I figured a little hyperbole was ok  ;)

@JeffLongBP

#124 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, he's technially on pace for a 30-25ish season, but I figured a little hyperbole was ok  ;)

I'll allow it.

• JeffLong likes this

#125 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Good luck getting your other players to extend with you, if a year after you extend Jones, you trade him.

I mean, I understand you could probably come up with a trade that works baseball wise (though not easily)... but in real world application, he's as close to un-tradeable as there gets.

Of all the posts to lecture about real world applicable trades you chose this one.

Not that I totally  disagree with you, but it's pretty funny.

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Of all the posts to lecture about real world applicable trades you chose this one.

Not that I totally  disagree with you, but it's pretty funny.

I think it is one thing to talk about trades as hypothetical abstracts, and another to suggest Jones should actually be moved for a starter. Just seems overly implausible to me.

Not lecturing you, just disagreeing.

#127 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

We all know AJ is a guy who will likely regress quickly once out of his prime. He doesn't have an eye. He's already an average to below average OF. It's DD job to make these type of decisions Now, I agree it's unlikely to happen but if the right TOR starter is on the market and the team would be interested in AJ as the centerpiece of a swap we should most likely be all over it.

#128 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

I don't think a team is going to trade a legit TOR starter for Jones, at least not one we'd want to give AJ up for considering age and contract of this SP. 

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

We all know AJ is a guy who will likely regress quickly once out of his prime. He doesn't have an eye. He's already an average to below average OF. It's DD job to make these type of decisions Now, I agree it's unlikely to happen but if the right TOR starter is on the market and the team would be interested in AJ as the centerpiece of a swap we should most likely be all over it.

Well, that is discussing the merits of why it could make sense... but the reason you agree it's unlikely to happen, is because 1) It would be not be looked at favorably within the clubhouse, 2) Jones received a no-trade clause and was adamant about that being part of the deal.

Maybe a few years from now, the subject can be broached.. depending on where the O's are, and if Jones is now open to being moved.... but in the immediate 2-3 years, he's not going anywhere.

Less of a % chance than what you've given the O's in their ability to trade for Lee.

#130 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

Any other season and this guy is the talk of the town but with Machado and Davis grabbing the headlines its easy to forget just how good he has been.

#131 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

You make some good points, and I wrestled with this at this time last year (or in April or so last year, plus two off-seasons ago). The bottom line is this, once AJo extended, it became crystal clear that the O's aren't trading him anytime soon. Therefore, it's fairly pointless to discuss. 

#132 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

If people are worried about trading JJ and what that will to do the clubhouse imagine if they trade Jones who is the leader in the clubhouse.

#133 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Very few things I can say with a lot of certainty regarding the O's -- trading Adam Jones is almost non-existent. He has a full no-trade clause, that greatly limits his ability to go anywhere. He just signed an extension a little over a year ago. They are in the middle of another competitive season. His contract isn't exactly cheap, thus limiting his suitors, who then will be saddled with his NTC for the rest of his contract I believe (teams such as the Marlins and previously the Nats/Braves when Stan Kasten ran these franchises wouldn't do no-trade clauses). And as Chris pointed out unless they want to look like the Marlins, it's going to be hard attracting other FAs/signing our homegrown players if we treat Jonesy badly. He's a leader of this team and plays a premium position (I know there's a discrepancy with how well he plays CF) Most importantly, if they were going to trade him, they would've done so already if contract negotiations failed. All this said, Adam Jones might be the least tradeable player on the team.

@levineps

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Despite his homer yesterday, Jones is struggling a bit in June: 

17 for 70 (.243 baa), 4 homers, 14 rbi.... 0 bb's, 16 k's, .721 OPS entering today.

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Baseball Analytics: What has Jones been doing since he's not walking?
http://www.baseballa...ot-walking.html

#136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

It's pretty amazing how few times he's walked this year.  It's a new level of pathetic for him in terms of getting on base.  I didn't expect him to ever become Kevin Youkilis, but he had been increasing his walk rate the past few seasons from 3.7% to 4.7% to 4.9%.  I was hoping he could eventually get up to around 6%, but he's plummeted to a ridiculous 2.9% so far this year.  Even if you take out this absurd stretch of 35 games without a walk, he had only walked in 4.3% of his PAs through May 18th, so it's not like he was even doing particularly well prior to deciding to swing at everything.

To put it into perspective, Miguel Tejada has a career walk rate of 6% and 6.5% when he was with the Orioles and Jim Palmer used to call him "Mr. Swings-at-Everything".

#137 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

He has seen 531 pitches - 390 strikes, 140 balls

73% of the pitches against him have been strikes...Now, I know some of that is pitches he has chased out of the zone but it is amazing me that pitchers throw him this many strikes.

#138 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

http://www.baseballp...p?player=430945

PitchFX says 53.8% of pitches to him this year have been in the zone.  I'm trying to find what the overall league percentage is, but having trouble tracking it down.

#139 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

73% of the pitches against him have been strikes...Now, I know some of that is pitches he has chased out of the zone but it is amazing me that pitchers throw him this many strikes.

It might have something to do with Davis batting behind him.

• Mike in STL likes this

#140 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

It might have something to do with Davis batting behind him.

Most likely
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=