713 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

No question that AJ is a money player... he comes through when things matter...

I wonder if anybody still has questions about his contract (except maybe his agent ;-))

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I wonder if anybody still has questions about his contract (except maybe his agent ;-))

Not questioning it now, but who knows in a year or two. The Orioles have signed some bad extensions before, that looked great at the time!
@levineps

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

I do...One good year doesn't change anything I have ever said about him.

In fact, I expect him to have another offensive year like this one at some point in his career and have always said that.

His defense is still average at best and UZR says this is his worst year yet. Not sure I agree that he is almost 1 win below average defensively(which is what UZR is basically saying) but I also don't think he is anything more than average either.

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

In fact, I expect him to have another offensive year like this one at some point in his career and have always said that.

His defense is still average at best and UZR says this is his worst year yet. Not sure I agree that he is almost 1 win below average defensively(which is what UZR is basically saying) but I also don't think he is anything more than average either.

I disagree that this is a career year offensively for AJ. He has gotten a little better each of his years. He is young enough that there is more upside. As for using numbers to judge D, I really have no confidence in that. I think AJ is above average in the field but that is so subjective it is not worth arguing over.
@mikeghg

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I do too. I still hate the concept of signing him in the midst of the hottest stretch of his career too.

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I disagree that this is a career year offensively for AJ. He has gotten a little better each of his years. He is young enough that there is more upside. As for using numbers to judge D, I really have no confidence in that. I think AJ is above average in the field but that is so subjective it is not worth arguing over.

Didnt say it was his career year. I could see him have a 900+ OPS season down the road, maybe even next year.

But in the best year of his career, his BB rate is still poor and it isn't much higher than it was last year. You would expect to see an uptick in it more with the power he has showed.

I don't think teams fear Jones at all. I think they still know you don't have to throw him strikes to get him out.

Its his approach that will hold him back.

#87 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

I do too. I still hate the concept of signing him in the midst of the hottest stretch of his career too.

Any time you give anybody $85M, it's a risk.

My expectation is that if he had more of a track record, the contract could not have been for the price the O's paid, it would have taken a bunch more. And, given the risks always inherent in such a big contract, I think he has acquitted himself well, not just on the field but also in the intangibles department as well. I feel better about the contract now than I did at the time... and at the time it seemed like a move the O's pretty much had to make, risks and all.

Bottom line: I like the contract better now than I did when he inked it, simply because the O's were paying for a Big Time player and AJ's demonstrated that he can actually be a Big Time guy... not just potentially, but for real.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Another tough game for Jones. Some thought he should have been bunting with Hardy on 2nd and none out in the 8th. Either way you needed Jones to advance the runner. Jones has been pretty cold since he had 6 combined hits in the double header 9/24.

Need his bat to come back alive.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Jones 2012: 648 ab's, .287 baa, 32 hr's, 82 rbi's, 39 doubles, 3 triples, 34 bb's, 126 k's, .839 OPS, wOBA .361, .218 ISO,(-5.6 UZR/150), fWAR 4.6

Predictions for his production in '13?

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

790 OPS, 3-3.5 WAR

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Give me something along the lines of 285/330/485/815 with 28 HRs.

#92 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Give me something along the lines of 285/330/485/815 with 28 HRs.

I endorse this post...

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

RotoGraphs: Jones Just Got Stronger
http://www.fangraphs...t-got-stronger/

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Camden Depot: 2012 Retrospective: Adam Jones
http://camdendepot.b...adam-jones.html

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I've noticed that Adam Jones has gone to all the Ravens playoff games including the upcoming one against New England (he tweeted it). Much had been made about the fact, he was a Colts fan. I know this isn't the biggest gesture in the world. But I'm not sure he makes all these trips without the long-term deal. He's also talked about living in MD year-round. Whether he does or not, that's his choice. Clearly, he gets it IMO that the O's are giving him big bucks but he's part of the Baltimore landscape as well.
@levineps

#96 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I've noticed that Adam Jones has gone to all the Ravens playoff games including the upcoming one against New England (he tweeted it). Much had been made about the fact, he was a Colts fan. I know this isn't the biggest gesture in the world. But I'm not sure he makes all these trips without the long-term deal. He's also talked about living in MD year-round. Whether he does or not, that's his choice. Clearly, he gets it IMO that the O's are giving him big bucks but he's part of the Baltimore landscape as well.

I think he sees how respected guys like Cal, Ray, Brooks, etc are and he realizes he is the face of the franchise right now. Good for him. He's become a really great player and person IMO

#97 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think he sees how respected guys like Cal, Ray, Brooks, etc are and he realizes he is the face of the franchise right now. Good for him. He's become a really great player and person IMO

And hes become friends with a couple of the ravens players. Meant a lot to him that they came out to support the os run.
@JeremyMStrain

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yep, I love me some Adam Jones. Great guy for the Orioles to be building around, he definitely gets it that he's the face of the franchise and doing all the things that you'd like to see around town.

Between him and Ray Rice, we've got some guys in this town that are extremely easy to root for. I like that, makes winning even better.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#99 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

My look at Adam Jones and what we can expect from his 2013 campaign:

http://baltimorespor...ons-adam-jones/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP