Atlanta Braves

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#621 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:29 AM

Braves overcame their crazy starting pitching problem and clinched their 3rd straight NL East division championship.  Before that, they went through the same kind of rough times the O's did, and while they did that - they built up their farm system to the #1 ranked in MLB for a few years, and it's paid off!. This is the pattern for the O's to follow.  But what the Braves did - and the O's haven't yet - is get top international talent (of course, they went too far in their methods at some point - and their GM got banned for life, but that's another story :) ).  They wouldn't be where they are without Acuna and Albies - much as the Nats wouldn't have won a WS without Soto and Robles.    

• Mackus likes this

#622 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

All the 1.1 and 1.2 picks they made really was the key...
  • dude likes this

#623 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:57 AM

Braves overcame their crazy starting pitching problem and clinched their 3rd straight NL East division championship.  Before that, they went through the same kind of rough times the O's did, and while they did that - they built up their farm system to the #1 ranked in MLB for a few years, and it's paid off!. This is the pattern for the O's to follow.  But what the Braves did - and the O's haven't yet - is get top international talent (of course, they went too far in their methods at some point - and their GM got banned for life, but that's another story :) ).  They wouldn't be where they are without Acuna and Albies - much as the Nats wouldn't have won a WS without Soto and Robles.    

Baltimore was never allowed into the international market under King Peter.

I suspect that the boys are not in agreement with that, and Elias appears to want to partake there and adding resources and scouts, and hopefully will be a strong player in this market.

#624 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:03 AM

I suspect that the boys are not in agreement with that, and Elias appears to want to partake there and adding resources and scouts, and hopefully will be a strong player in this market.

Yup, unfortunately we're way behind because of King Peter, and the best prospects are signed when they're teenagers, so even if we get top international prospects, it'll take years.  

#625 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:08 AM

Yup, unfortunately we're way behind because of King Peter, and the best prospects are signed when they're teenagers, so even if we get top international prospects, it'll take years.  

Lets be positive, at least they are able to be there now. And not sitting at home, staring out the window and wish we could be playing out there.

I think having guys like Mora there, and willing to have a relationship with him, could be pivotal.

• Ruzious likes this

#626 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

Just one of the many faults of Angelos ownersip.

I will be skeptical until we sign one of the top prospects.
@mikeghg

#627 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:33 AM

Just one of the many faults of Angelos ownersip.

I will be skeptical until we sign one of the top prospects.

I think Irsays son did better with the Colts, than Dad did. There was another team, where the son did better, and I just got get the name out of my skull. Maybe Bidwell.

Anyway, sometimes son[s] do worse, and there is evidence that they learn from Dad's mistakes and do better.

So far, it appears out of the gate, they are already do better. IMO

• Mike B likes this

#628 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

I think Irsays son did better with the Colts, than Dad did. There was another team, where the son did better, and I just got get the name out of my skull. Maybe Bidwell.

Anyway, sometimes son[s] do worse, and there is evidence that they learn from Dad's mistakes and do better.

So far, it appears out of the gate, they are already do better. IMO

I would agree but Bob did not set the bar real high.  My dog would have been a better owner than drunken Bob.  As for PGA and his sons, we shall see.  It seems like the sons are trusting Elias.    I am not sure Peter ever trusted any of his GM's.   

I think we are probably a year away from seeing what the Angelos son's will be as owners.  

I expect them to do next to nothing this off season, but if some of the kids step forward next year, hopefully they will be on the lookout for players who can fit in and move the team forward in 2022.

@mikeghg

#629 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:24 AM

I would agree but Bob did not set the bar real high.  My dog would have been a better owner than drunken Bob.  As for PGA and his sons, we shall see.  It seems like the sons are trusting Elias.    I am not sure Peter ever trusted any of his GM's.   

I think we are probably a year away from seeing what the Angelos son's will be as owners.  

I expect them to do next to nothing this off season, but if some of the kids step forward next year, hopefully they will be on the lookout for players who can fit in and move the team forward in 2022.

Actually, I think thanks to Andy, PGA backed off and with Dan, he didnt meddle too much, until the Blue Jays came kicking the tires on Dan to see if he was interested, for me, that the defining moment, where PGA got back to what he does and muddle up his team.

• Mike B likes this

#630 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

Actually, I think thanks to Andy, PGA backed off and with Dan, he didnt meddle too much, until the Blue Jays came kicking the tires on Dan to see if he was interested, for me, that the defining moment, where PGA got back to what he does and muddle up his team.

True, I think PGA lost all trust of Dan starting with the Blue Jay fiasco.  He should have let Dan go.

I do think all of our GM's under Pete have had to deal with his quirks and rules.  And that is trying to be kind.

@mikeghg

#631 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

True, I think PGA lost all trust of Dan starting with the Blue Jay fiasco.  He should have let Dan go.

I do think all of our GM's under Pete have had to deal with his quirks and rules.  And that is trying to be kind.

I get it. I dont put too much fault in Dan for the Blue Jays having interest.

#632 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:19 PM

Speaking of the Braves  :cool: they won 1-0 in 13 vs Cincy.  It was ugly - neither team seemed to want to win - swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone.  They could have used that 10th inning rule - with the man on 2nd - and still these teams wouldn't have scored for a while.  Over 20 SO's by the Braves batters.  The one good offensive note - it was Freddie Freeman that knocked in the walkoff run. 

Btw, like him or not - Trevor Bauer is a great pitcher.       

#633 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

I talked before in the O's section about the importance of getting high picks and making the most of them - before my posts got grotesquely mangled by another poster - and I'm serious about that, btw - and still pissed off about it.  

Anyway, if you've been watching the Braves, this is a perfect example @1314309098662514694

Ian Anderson was the 3rd pick in the 2016 draft, and Kyle Wright was 5th in 2017.  

#634 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

You can make a good pick anywhere in the first. Don't need to be top-5.

Odds are slightly better at the very top of the draft, #1 and #2 overall, of finding a decent player. By the third pick the odds are negligibly different than the rest of the top-10.

Drafting good players when you have high picks is a key to being successful in the future. If you hit big on those picks your work gets much easier. But intentionally being bad in order to get those high picks is an aggressively bad plan, IMO. I don't think any smart teams or baseball people actually do this. They do sometimes bottom out payroll, but I firmly believe that's about making money and not about getting the top pick as part of a rebuilding strategy.

#635 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

I want Markakis to get his ring so bad.

• Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#636 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:02 PM

I want Markakis to get his ring so bad.

Would like to see this as well.

But mostly...anyone but the Yankees. Would also prefer not the Astros.
  • Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#637 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

The Braves are going to be who I am rooting for.  Screw the Yankees and  the cheaters.  Don’t want to see the Dodgers win,  Go Braves or I guess Rays.

@mikeghg

#638 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

You can make a good pick anywhere in the first. Don't need to be top-5.

Odds are slightly better at the very top of the draft, #1 and #2 overall, of finding a decent player. By the third pick the odds are negligibly different than the rest of the top-10.

Drafting good players when you have high picks is a key to being successful in the future. If you hit big on those picks your work gets much easier. But intentionally being bad in order to get those high picks is an aggressively bad plan, IMO. I don't think any smart teams or baseball people actually do this. They do sometimes bottom out payroll, but I firmly believe that's about making money and not about getting the top pick as part of a rebuilding strategy.

If you're bottoming out of payroll when you don't have a particularly good team, then - in most cases - you are intentionally being bad.  That is what the Braves, Nats, and Astros did.    

#639 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,933 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:59 AM

If you're bottoming out of payroll when you don't have a particularly good team, then - in most cases - you are intentionally being bad. That is what the Braves, Nats, and Astros did.

I'd argue that it's not what they did and those teams were good mainly for other reasons and not because they tanked a couple seasons (if they did tank, Astros clearly did, I don't think the Braves ever did, Nats did a long time ago and that has nearly nothing to do with why they are good now).

Hitting on the draft picks is a low odd proposition. If you do happen to get a couple stars you've done an aamzing thing. Having that happen is good, and maybe it's the result f being smart at drafting though I sort of doubt there is any significant skill that one team has over another in that regard. But to rely on that as the core foundation of your plan to rebuild is a terrible idea.

The Astros, Braves, Nats, Cubs, etc teams that have been bad for a while and are now good are good primarily for other reasons than the results of their high draft picks. For every team listed, I bet I could replace their high picks with someone taken later and improve those teams.

The #1 overall pick is a bit more valuable, so if your plan is to be bad to get high picks you better be bad enough to get the #1. But the value of the rest of the high draft picks is relatively low. Barely different than picks 5 spots or 10 spots later. These picks just do not reliably churn out solid regular players yet alone stars.

One definite advantage of drafting early is the larger bonus pool. If you go slot or above for your top pick youve given that away, but if you go under slot early and overslot later, that is something I can't quantize but I believe would be a benefit and have better overall odds of improving your organization.

#640 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:30 PM

I talked before in the O's section about the importance of getting high picks and making the most of them - before my posts got grotesquely mangled by another poster - and I'm serious about that, btw - and still pissed off about it.  

You want the Blue pill.  I'm sharing the Red one.  It's ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=