#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

That's the other side of the equation, who can you realistically get that will both energize the fan base and get immediate, or close to it, results on the field? I really don't know.

Yeah I'm not quite sure who they are getting. There's only so many BCS jobs so you could find someone, but it need to be some under-the-radar guy. Barring some big donation, it's going to be hard to compete with the other major players for top-notch coaches.

@levineps

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Turgeon is obviously a better basketball coach than Edsall is a football coach, that can't be questioned.  Maryland is a much higher echelon basketball job than a football job, so it just naturally engenders better candidates.

I can't stand Edsall.  I do think he's done a good job recruiting, but I don't know how much is him and how much is Locksley and Stewart.

I don't think any of that trio are good actual coaches, though they can get good talent in, which is very important.  I don't know if a new regime would be able to bring in as good of talent, but maybe they could get more out of it.  I'd be willing to roll the dice at this point, though I agree with the arguments about Anderson.  I'm not a fan of his.

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Edsall would've gotten more leeway had he been hired off of Fridge's 2-10 year IMO.

Good point. While Friedgen had a small group of influential boosters who seemed to be behind him no matter what, firing him after winning ACC COY naturally creates more dissent and tougher expectations for the next guy among the larger segment of the fan base. And yes, Edsall has 3 more seasons after this one.

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

This is maybe the worst post you've made on this site.  The team was NEVER going to win 9 games?  Really?  If they were 100% healthy, and already at 5-1, you don't think winning against Wake, Cuse, BC and NC State is out of the question?  If this team were fully healthy I respectfully disagree.

You Edsall haters amuse me, you offer zero examples of the good he has done here (namely, improved recruiting) and instead just point to his W/L record without taking anything else into account.  The fact that you're claiming the injuries will be an "excuse" to keep him around next year is laughable.  Have you ever seen a team, in any sport ever, have as many injuries as this year's Terps team?  What about last year when we started off 4-2 before eventually having a linebacker playing quarterback?

Again, the man isn't perfect and he's definitely said/done some questionable things, but you people are acting like we have Bruce Coslet as our head coach -- this is a guy who turned UConn from nothing into a legit 1A school in very short time, and this is a guy who has increased our recruiting from the day he set foot in College Park.  Look at the recruiting classes and tell me I'm wrong.  Hell, we had two freaking five star athletes starting at WR this year!  When has that EVER happened?  Of course, they both broke their legs and are done for the year, but don't let the facts get in the way of your biased stance.

Is HE doing the recruiting though (honest question)? I had heard that most of the credit should go to assistants, and that there was someone else driving the recruiting.

@JeremyMStrain

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Is HE doing the recruiting though (honest question)? I had heard that most of the credit should go to assistants, and that there was someone else driving the recruiting.

Even if that's the case, it's still the system in place. You always want to compensate for your weaknesses. Good coach, bad recruiter --> get strong assistant coaches who can recruit.

If you fire him, you'll need to replace everything since those coaches aren't likely to stay on.

@levineps

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Even if that's the case, it's still the system in place. You always want to compensate for your weaknesses. Good coach, bad recruiter --> get strong assistant coaches who can recruit.

If you fire him, you'll need to replace everything since those coaches aren't likely to stay on.

Yeah but wasn't the word that Locksley was pushed on Edsall? He was here from 98-02 or something like that and was the recruiting coordinator, he's local and I thought the plan was to get back to locking up some of the blue chip local recruits, so they brought him in for that. I could be wrong, trying to remember where I heard it, might have been through alumni/booster circles, but not sure.

The assistants all have a clause in their contract that says they are fired the day that Edsall is no longer the head coach. (Thought it was weird at the time, but tied into them getting 3 year deals, which is odd for assistants)

@JeremyMStrain

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Turgeon is obviously a better basketball coach than Edsall is a football coach, that can't be questioned.  Maryland is a much higher echelon basketball job than a football job, so it just naturally engenders better candidates.

I can't stand Edsall.  I do think he's done a good job recruiting, but I don't know how much is him and how much is Locksley and Stewart.

I don't think any of that trio are good actual coaches, though they can get good talent in, which is very important.  I don't know if a new regime would be able to bring in as good of talent, but maybe they could get more out of it.  I'd be willing to roll the dice at this point, though I agree with the arguments about Anderson.  I'm not a fan of his.

Stewart is a good Coach. His schemes and NFL pedigree make a difference. His game plan vs. Wake wasn't great though.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Turge is getting Top 10 classes. Edsall is getting Top 30 classes. Big difference.

I don't know what more to say. Besides the bad coaching, he's done absolutely nothing to revitalize the fanbase. People know a loser when they see one.

Using your words from this thread:

Who cares about recruiting if you can't coach them up on Saturday

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I'm not quite sure who they are getting. There's only so many BCS jobs so you could find someone, but it need to be some under-the-radar guy. Barring some big donation, it's going to be hard to compete with the other major players for top-notch coaches.

And it is very unlikely an under-the-radar guy will energize the fan base. That would take a guy with a relatively proven track record who is also associated with an exciting style of play. I'm not saying there isn't a coach out there who could do both of those and would be willing to come to MD....but no one comes to mind for me.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Shame the Terps didn't keep Franklin...he has done a great job in Vandy and will get a bigger job IMO.

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yeah but wasn't the word that Locksley was pushed on Edsall? He was here from 98-02 or something like that and was the recruiting coordinator, he's local and I thought the plan was to get back to locking up some of the blue chip local recruits, so they brought him in for that. I could be wrong, trying to remember where I heard it, might have been through alumni/booster circles, but not sure.

The assistants all have a clause in their contract that says they are fired the day that Edsall is no longer the head coach. (Thought it was weird at the time, but tied into them getting 3 year deals, which is odd for assistants)

Not sure, a new coach will probably want his own guy anyways, so it's not so relevant to me.

I'm not sure about the assistants contracts, but I think you'd have to buy them out when Edsall is fired if they still have years left on it, it might not be guaranteed but its something collectively.

@levineps

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

I now Gary Crowton was not Edsall's choice for OC, so I wouldn't be surprised if Locksley wasn't either. Same goes for Stewart, although I agree with Chris that Stewart has mostly done well.

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

And it is very unlikely an under-the-radar guy will energize the fan base. That would take a guy with a relatively proven track record who is also associated with an exciting style of play. I'm not saying there isn't a coach out there who could do both of those and would be willing to come to MD....but no one comes to mind for me.

Yeah, it won't happen -- they aren't getting Nick Saban either. Regardless who they get it won't matter if they don't win. They had the chance with Mike Leach,

@levineps

#54 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Shame the Terps didn't keep Franklin...he has done a great job in Vandy and will get a bigger job IMO.

Plus, he only hires coaches who have smoking-hot wives.  They could've had a "hot wives" section at Byrd to help bring in a bigger crowd and fill that place up.

• Oriole85 likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

The funny thing is for all the talk about how they spent too much on assistants when paying Franklin, they are spending a good bit more NOW than they were then (can't remember the exact numbers but it's something like $1.5m then to $2.3m recently ballpark).

@JeremyMStrain

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Plus, he only hires coaches who have smoking-hot wives.  They could've had a "hot wives" section at Byrd to help bring in a bigger crowd and fill that place up.

Hot-Wives-Cam on the jumbotron during commercial breaks. Works for me.

#57 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Maryland will literally never be anything other than slightly above average in their best year under Edsall. Guy just flat out can't coach and can't prepare a lick. 

This is an accurate, well-informed post that clearly resulted from lots of research and is a true benefit to the board.

#OppositeDay

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#58 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hot-Wives-Cam on the jumbotron during commercial breaks. Works for me.

Hot-Wives-Kissing-Each-Other-Cam works even better.  Byrd would be at capacity every game.  That's it, bring Franklin back.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hot-Wives-Kissing-Each-Other-Cam works even better.  Byrd would be at capacity every game.  That's it, bring Franklin back.

Sounds like a scene out of The Replacements. Hey....does Keanu Reeves have any eligibility left? Can't be much worse than Brown/Rowe right now.

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sounds like a scene out of The Replacements. Hey....does Keanu Reeves have any eligibility left? Can't be much worse than Brown/Rowe right now.

C'mon man, did you SEE that Sugar Bowl?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=