304 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Don't you dare say her name in my presence! ;)

Yeah but ultimately, it's his job to make them successful, and he chose to focus more on graduation rates, and character (conveniently something tied to his major bonuses) than on-field product. He also was very my-way-or-the-highway and botched an interview with a high profile coach.

Donations will be down if he doesn't keep the boosters happy, that's part of his job (as unfair as that is).

Sorry to bring up her name again, but Yow did exactly the same thing. She received bonuses based on the overall performance of the athletic program in terms of winning. Realizing how much money she would have to pour into football and MBB to win in those sports, versus the much lower amount it would cost to build winning programs in some Olympic sports, she chose the latter....going so far as to build a bloated program that sponsored 27 sports. For a school with the athletic revenues of MD, that number is ridiculous.

But back to my point, which is that I'm sure any AD with a contract that pays bonuses for them is naturally going to focus on reaching those particular goals. Call it what you will, but the person to really hold accountable for that is the person who offered the AD that contract.

#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Sorry to bring up her name again, but Yow did exactly the same thing. She received bonuses based on the overall performance of the athletic program in terms of winning. Realizing how much money she would have to pour into football and MBB to win in those sports, versus the much lower amount it would cost to build winning programs in some Olympic sports, she chose the latter....going so far as to build a bloated program that sponsored 27 sports. For a school with the athletic revenues of MD, that number is ridiculous.

But back to my point, which is that I'm sure any AD with a contract that pays bonuses for them is naturally going to focus on reaching those particular goals. Call it what you will, but the person to really hold accountable for that is the person who offered the AD that contract.

Good point here -- in addition to the self-serving purposes, you always want to meet the objectives of your job. And if Loh (or whoever) is making these areas a priority, it's on him.

College sports is a funny business -- there basically two sports that matter, sometimes only one, from a financial perspective, occasionally three (baseball). But you can always tout the achievements of the other sports. At the end of the day, no matter how successful the Olympic sports are, if football and/or men's basketball isn't winning, you are failing.

@levineps

#83 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yep, get that too, which is why I took a shot at Loh in one of my earlier posts. With this leadership in charge I probably wouldn't have gone there when I did honestly.

@JeremyMStrain

#84 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, but here's why people like Turge way more than Edsall.

1) He didn't put his big fat foot in his mouth every time he opened his mouth, compared to Edsall who most certainly did.

2) KA talked about good to great in football and they were coming off a 9-4 season. Yes, I agree with Ralph being fired but bottom line is Esdall shit all over a 9-4 team and coach and then has proceeded to go 2-10, 4-8, and we have another free fall coming.

3) Turge can recruit AND coach. He has a staff that can coach. Edsall can recruit but can't coach a lick and hasn't hired any coordinators who can coach a lick...and if he hired some coordinators who could coach, we'd get a drop off recruiting (aka Locksley).

4) It's much harder to make the NCAA Tournament than it is to win 6 football games IMO. You can win 6 games against bad/very mediocre teams. You can't only beat bad/mediocre teams and make the tournament.

That said, I'm certainly not enamored with Turgeon. I think he's a decent coach but I'm not a huge fan and I'm not convinced he's the answer, and if he becomes the answer I'm not convinced he'll be at MD for life. But we are in way better hands than him than Edsall. Turgeon has made every program he's been at better. Edsall has been at 1 other program and got them from awful to good and took advantage of a flawed BCS system.

Here's the bottom line that's a legitimate fact. If Edsall goes 7-5 his last season at UCONN and plays in the Holiday Bowl, he is not hired to coach MD. But because he made a BCS bowl in a shit conference and got trounced by a better team (which he ALWAYS DOES when he plays a better team), he parlayed that into a very, very good job. Especially for him. 

The guy loses to every single team he plays that's better than his team and loses half the times to worse teams, and in half the games they win against worse teams they play like garbage and barley scrape by. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this
@PeterDiLutis

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

What's your concern regarding Turge not being here for life if he is the answer? Kansas? It doesn't look like Self is stepping away anytime soon. And regardless, if Turge ends up a hot enough prospect for Kansas, I'd take that scenario any day as that would obviously mean the program was in great shape. Good thoughts though all around, I agree with just about all of what you're saying here.

#86 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, but here's why people like Turge way more than Edsall.

1) He didn't put his big fat foot in his mouth every time he opened his mouth, compared to Edsall who most certainly did.

2) KA talked about good to great in football and they were coming off a 9-4 season. Yes, I agree with Ralph being fired but bottom line is Esdall shit all over a 9-4 team and coach and then has proceeded to go 2-10, 4-8, and we have another free fall coming.

3) Turge can recruit AND coach. He has a staff that can coach. Edsall can recruit but can't coach a lick and hasn't hired any coordinators who can coach a lick...and if he hired some coordinators who could coach, we'd get a drop off recruiting (aka Locksley).

4) It's much harder to make the NCAA Tournament than it is to win 6 football games IMO. You can win 6 games against bad/very mediocre teams. You can't only beat bad/mediocre teams and make the tournament.

That said, I'm certainly not enamored with Turgeon. I think he's a decent coach but I'm not a huge fan and I'm not convinced he's the answer, and if he becomes the answer I'm not convinced he'll be at MD for life. But we are in way better hands than him than Edsall. Turgeon has made every program he's been at better. Edsall has been at 1 other program and got them from awful to good and took advantage of a flawed BCS system.

Here's the bottom line that's a legitimate fact. If Edsall goes 7-5 his last season at UCONN and plays in the Holiday Bowl, he is not hired to coach MD. But because he made a BCS bowl in a shit conference and got trounced by a better team (which he ALWAYS DOES when he plays a better team), he parlayed that into a very, very good job. Especially for him. 

The guy loses to every single team he plays that's better than his team and loses half the times to worse teams, and in half the games they win against worse teams they play like garbage and barley scrape by. 

1)Edsall has done better lately, they did hire a PR firm I believe, but let's give credit where it's due.

2)That's more on KA, but for Edsall it comes with the territory. Bottomline, you fire the ACC COY, who goes 9-4, you expect improvement

3)Turge might be able to recruit, but he hasn't exactly done anything here yet. You're the one yourself who was outraged that he got a bonus for winning NIT games.

4)Turge still hasn't made the NCAA Tourney, I liked the NIT to going to a lower-tiered bowl. Maryland only made the NCAA Tourney every year for a decade-and-a-half. Also they haven't gotten out of the first weekend in nearly a decade now. Just making it didn't used to be good enough.

I like Turgeon as well, I'm not as high on him as most people are. He did a good job maintaining the program Billy Gillespie built, didn't get it over-the-hump. Like Edsall, he did a good job of building programs before that.

You could also say if Ralph goes 9-3 during the regular season game and it elevates to a better bowl, he is retained. That "if game" goes both ways. And in college football, one game matters more than any other major sport. The difference between 5-7/6-6 or 10-2/9-3. If you go 83-79 in baseball versus 82-80, there's not likely a ton of difference, you likely miss the playoffs either way, you had a good but not great season. Edsall is head coach because no one who KA wanted with NFL ties wanted to do it and the administration got cold feet with Leach. While I think Maryland is an upgrade over UConn football-wise at the time, it wasn't as much as it is now since they were still in a BCS conference and Maryland football at best was mid-level ACC job.

Saying he loses to half the worst opponents is likely inaccurate. You're a odds person, are you basing this on games he's been favored in and loses?

@levineps

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

What's your concern regarding Turge not being here for life if he is the answer? Kansas? It doesn't look like Self is stepping away anytime soon. And regardless, if Turge ends up a hot enough prospect for Kansas, I'd take that scenario any day as that would obviously mean the program was in great shape. Good thoughts though all around, I agree with just about all of what you're saying here.

Self has mentioned that he might like to try to the NBA at some point. If he gets another national championship, what does he have left to prove? He wins the Big 12 title every year at KU.

Since both my teams are coached by KU guys, I hear more of a speculation with Tad Boyle going to KU. He's even less established than Turgeon (he worked under him after all). I can't imagine at this point, KU would want someone with a resume this thin, but that's the only program I could see Boyle leaving CU for at this point, given he's a Colorado native as well. I'm sure on the AD's short-list at KU since they keep running ones in the event that there is a vacancy -- you never know what lies ahead -- Turgeon is on it for if nothing else, his strong ties to the program, being a Larry Brown protege. I don't think he'd get hired solely on that, but it's certainly gives him bonus points, another candidate might not have.

Maryland was obviously a destination for GW, he was an alum after all, grew up in Jersey, had mostly east coast jobs. How many would leave Ohio State for Maryland at this point?

I agree with you it's a good problem to have. And I have no doubt, Maryland could replace him given the recruiting area and facilities.

Maryland is a very, very good program. but it's not (and will likely never) will be Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, or UCLA. I'd still say it's a top 10-15.

@levineps

#88 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Turge will be fine now that all of Gary's trash is gone. And if he isn't fine that's when you can really start criticizing. When he doesn't win with his own players. Again, as I said in one of the basketball threads the other week he's got a bunch of kids that are entering their 2nd year in the program either as sophomores or transfers. Faust, a junior, is the only Turge recruit entering his 3rd year in the program.

#89 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Turge will be fine now that all of Gary's trash is gone. And if he isn't fine that's when you can really start criticizing. When he doesn't win with his own players. Again, as I said in one of the basketball threads the other week he's got a bunch of kids that are entering their 2nd year in the program either as sophomores or transfers. Faust, a junior, is the only Turge recruit entering his 3rd year in the program.

Why are you unable to give the same courtesy to Edsall? A lot of guys who are here are still Friedgen's. Edsall's recruits are still young. I can't begin to understand your double standards when it comes to Turge and Edsall.

@BSLZackKiesel

#90 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

1)Edsall has done better lately, they did hire a PR firm I believe, but let's give credit where it's due.

I've read over on WaPo's Terps Insider that some posters believe that the Edsall/MD PR-firm has some posters who post there to try to post more positive views of Randy and maybe try to turn the tide on him, as far as he's viewed by the people who read there.  Whether or not that's just interweb-conspiracy-theory or not it probably wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#91 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I've read over on WaPo's Terps Insider that some posters believe that the Edsall/MD PR-firm has some posters who post there to try to post more positive views of Randy and maybe try to turn the tide on him, as far as he's viewed by the people who read there.  Whether or not that's just interweb-conspiracy-theory or not it probably wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Possible but I don't read too much into those conspiracy theory type things. I had a teacher who got some negative ratings one on of those ratemyteacher websites and he obviously having low self-esteem, self-posted positive reviews of himself.

@levineps

#92 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I think it's definitely much more of a conspiracy theory but I think it does speak to Edsall's image problem.  Even when/if someone tries to highlight Randy's positives they get shot down as a PR-plant.  Now granted this is just one Terps-related blog and probably isn't indicative of the fanbase as a whole so take it with a fair amount of granulated salt but at the same time it does show that in some circles Edsall still has his fair share of detractors.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#93 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Damn, I've been made.

@BSLZackKiesel

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I know the PR Company. 1) They wouldn't do that, 2) Don't have the size to do that if they were so pleased.

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Damn, I've been made.

And your many alter egos. 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@levineps

#96 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

I know the PR Company. 1) They wouldn't do that, 2) Don't have the size to do that if they were so pleased.

I guess it's natural, but I don't like how cynical people can get. 

@levineps

#97 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I guess it's natural, but I don't like how cynical people can get. 

Everybody likes a conspiracy. They also like to find easy ways to hammer on a guy they don't have the best opinion of.

@BSLZackKiesel

#98 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Why are you unable to give the same courtesy to Edsall? A lot of guys who are here are still Friedgen's. Edsall's recruits are still young. I can't begin to understand your double standards when it comes to Turge and Edsall.

As others have opined, Turge is just flat out the better coach. Edsall is really bad.  Of course, that's just our opinion but that's a big factor.

Also,  from nearly the moment he stepped on campus he pissed off many of his players, fans, students, and alumni.

I was more than willing to give him a chance. I was fine with firing Ralph and open to a new era but his first year here  really soured me and still  lingers. I was and am still willing to be proven wrong. It's just obvious at this point that he's not the answer in any way. He's not going to coach well enough, win enough, or get enough support from the students, alumni, and fans.

#99 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

As others have opined, Turge is just flat out the better coach. Edsall is really bad.  Of course, that's just our opinion but that's a big factor.

Also, as from nearly the moment he stepped on campus he pissed off many of his players, fans, students, and alumni.

I was more than willing to give him a chance. I was fine with firing Ralph and open to a new era. but his first year here  really soured me and still  lingers. I was and am still willing to be proven wrong. It's just obvious at this point that he's not the answer in any way. He's not going to coach well enough, win enough, or get enough support from the students, alumni, and fans.

At this point, neither has accomplished really anything on-field/court related -- Edsall making a bowl/Turgeon making the tournament. Sure you can make the recruiting comparisons, but at the end of the day, you need to win with those players. Jury is still out on both. I think Turgeon will make the tournament this year and won't be on the hot seat next year. Edsall even if he wins one more game, will face pressure with how he does in the Big 10.

Turgeon did have the better track record going in but ultimately he needs to win here as does Edsall.

@levineps

#100 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

At this point, neither has accomplished really anything on-field/court related -- Edsall making a bowl/Turgeon making the tournament. Sure you can make the recruiting comparisons, but at the end of the day, you need to win with those players. Jury is still out on both. I think Turgeon will make the tournament this year and won't be on the hot seat next year. Edsall even if he wins one more game, will face pressure with how he does in the Big 10.

Turgeon did have the better track record going in but ultimately he needs to win here as does Edsall.

Just a small point of contention but as someone pointed out earlier, making a bowl game, at least not a high profile one,  is not the equivalent of making the NCAA tourney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=