304 replies to this topic

#1 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Maryland will literally never be anything other than slightly above average in their best year under Edsall. Guy just flat out can't coach and can't prepare a lick. 

@PeterDiLutis

#2 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Maryland will literally never be anything other than slightly above average in their best year under Edsall. Guy just flat out can't coach and can't prepare a lick. 

Honestly I really wanted to/did give Edsall a chance but I'm slowly coming around to this line of thinking.  Especially the prepare part.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

He is atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. I can't believe he still has supporters.

Here is another laughable stat. So many of these. I might drop one a week until Edsall is gone.

@D1scourse Meanwhile, Randy Edsall is now 7-27 in conference road games since 2004.

That's in the rough and tumble Big East and ACC conferences. Cant wait til next season. :roll:

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

He is atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. I can't believe he still has supporters.

Here is another laughable stat. So many of these. I might drop one a week until Edsall is gone.

@D1scourse Meanwhile, Randy Edsall is now 7-27 in conference road games since 2004.

That's in the rough and tumble Big East and ACC conferences. Cant wait til next season. :roll:

I don't think that is a surprising number. UConn was not even a 1A member until 2002.  2004 was their first year in the Big East.

2004 Road Conference Losses
Boston College

Syracuse

2005 Road Conference Losses
Cincinnati

#16 West VA
Pittsburgh

2006 Road Conference Losses
South Florida

#15 Rutgers
Syrcause

#6 Louisville

2007 Road Conference Losses
Cincinnati

#4 West VA

2008 Road Conference Losses
Rutgers

South Florida

2009 Road Conference Losses
Pittsburgh

West VA

#4 Cincinnati

2010 Road Conference Losses
Rutgers

Louisville

2011 Road Conference Losses
#13 Georgia Tech
Florida State

Wake Forest

NCST

2012 Road Conference Losses
#8 Clemson
Boston College
North Carolina

2013 Road Conference Losses

#8 FSU

Wake Forest

Again, I hate you putting me in positions of defending Edsall.... but the UConn program was being built from nothing, to playing in a AQ conference. Even though the Big East was the worst AQ conference... that is really not the point. It takes years to build a program. The fact that he was competitive at all was an accomplishment.

This past Saturday sucked because it is game that MD should have been expected to win. However, just like all of last season... it becomes difficult to evaluate due to the injuries.

It's not unrealistic to think MD could have won 9 games this year had they stayed healthy. Not going to happen now. Now you are looking at 6 wins.... if he won 9 games, are you getting rid of him?  If he wins 6 due to the injuries, are you getting rid of him?

Remember you have to factor in MD's financial issues, the improved recruiting, etc.

If these last weeks are a disaster, I'd lean towards making a change. Mainly because there are too many MD fans like yourself who will never support him. MD can't afford to have a guy leading their program that doesn't get buy-in from everyone.

If you do that though, you are going to impact the recruiting gains... maybe see more turnover from the roster which has added talent...

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

The worst thing about the injuries this year is it gives Edsall another excuse. This team was never going to win 9 games this year. They don't have depth, they don't have a QB, they don't have coaches that can make adjustments. All of that is on Edsall.

I'll say this though, its useless to fire Edsall before Anderson. I don't want that buffoon picking anymore head coaches.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

The worst thing about the injuries this year is it gives Edsall another excuse. This team was never going to win 9 games this year. They don't have depth, they don't have a QB, they don't have coaches that can make adjustments. All of that is on Edsall.

I'll say this though, its useless to fire Edsall before Anderson. I don't want that buffoon picking anymore head coaches.

I'm not the biggest KA fan, but didn't he do an OK job with the Turgeon hire?

@levineps

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

This is maybe the worst post you've made on this site.  The team was NEVER going to win 9 games?  Really?  If they were 100% healthy, and already at 5-1, you don't think winning against Wake, Cuse, BC and NC State is out of the question?  If this team were fully healthy I respectfully disagree.

You Edsall haters amuse me, you offer zero examples of the good he has done here (namely, improved recruiting) and instead just point to his W/L record without taking anything else into account.  The fact that you're claiming the injuries will be an "excuse" to keep him around next year is laughable.  Have you ever seen a team, in any sport ever, have as many injuries as this year's Terps team?  What about last year when we started off 4-2 before eventually having a linebacker playing quarterback?

Again, the man isn't perfect and he's definitely said/done some questionable things, but you people are acting like we have Bruce Coslet as our head coach -- this is a guy who turned UConn from nothing into a legit 1A school in very short time, and this is a guy who has increased our recruiting from the day he set foot in College Park.  Look at the recruiting classes and tell me I'm wrong.  Hell, we had two freaking five star athletes starting at WR this year!  When has that EVER happened?  Of course, they both broke their legs and are done for the year, but don't let the facts get in the way of your biased stance.

• Dr. FLK likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Who cares about recruiting if you can't coach them up on Saturday. And its not like we're getting enough talent to make us real conference contenders anyway. He's just a really bad coach. I mean I bitch and complain about Harbaugh on the pro level but he's still one of the top half of the league coach. Edsall is probably in the lower 25%-30% of FBS coaches.

I don't care at this point. Im gonna stop bitching because

A. He's going to be around for at least one more year

B. I was dead serious earlier when I said I don't want Anderson hiring the next coach. Get a new AD first.

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm not the biggest KA fan, but didn't he do an OK job with the Turgeon hire?

Something I've never understood is why Turgeon is hailed as the almighty savior to the men's basketball program, and Edsall is this horrible man set to ruin the football team. In his two years at Maryland, Mark Turgeon hasn't taken the team to the NCAA Tournament. He has gotten a lot of high-level recruits, and has lost a few players when he stepped foot on campus.

In his two years at Maryland, Randy Edsall hasn't taken the team to a bowl game. He's had a lot more injuries than Turgeon had comparatively, and has also gotten a lot of high-level recruits (Wes Brown, Stefon Diggs, Deon Long, William Likely, etc.) Edsall lost players when he came to campus, but there were also more players to leave, the team is bigger. His teams have shown improvement every year, just like Turgeon's. Turgeon also has trouble winning on the road. Combined through his first two years, his record in conference road games is 3-14.

Now, I believe Mark Turgeon is a very good head coach for this program, just like I believe Randy Edsall is a very good head football coach for this program. What I don't understand is how people give him a free pass, while they crucify Randy Edsall. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Who cares about recruiting if you can't coach them up on Saturday. And its not like we're getting enough talent to make us real conference contenders anyway. He's just a really bad coach. I mean I bitch and complain about Harbaugh on the pro level but he's still one of the top half of the league coach. Edsall is probably in the lower 25%-30% of FBS coaches.

I don't care at this point. Im gonna stop bitching because

A. He's going to be around for at least one more year

B. I was dead serious earlier when I said I don't want Anderson hiring the next coach. Get a new AD first.

I'm sure you were among the same people saying that coaching doesn't matter if you can't recruit when Gary Williams was near his end of his career here. Recruiting DOES matter. And how can you even evaluate Randy Edsall's coaching? Are you at the practices? Have you spoken to the players? If you want to talk about play-calling or about schemes, a lot of that is on Mike Locksley and Brian Stewart. Edsall has done a very good job at making this team better each year he's been here. 

Mark Turgeon is 3-14 in conference road games since he came to Maryland. Randy Edsall is 1-7 (1-9 if you count this season).

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Turge has clearly been better than Edsall.

To this point, Turge has continued the mediocrity that was Gary Williams last 5 years. Edsall has clearly been a step down from the mediocre Fridge era.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,434 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm pretty sure Mark Turgeon is under just as much pressure to get to the tournament this season as Edsall is a bowl game. If Turgeon can't do it in year 3, with the talent he himself recruited, you will hear calls for him to be fired if he doesn't get it done.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Turge has clearly been better than Edsall.

To this point, Turge has continued the mediocrity that was Gary Williams last 5 years. Edsall has clearly been a step down from the mediocre Fridge era.

None of this is right.

• glenn__davis likes this

@bopper33

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm sure you were among the same people saying that coaching doesn't matter if you can't recruit when Gary Williams was near his end of his career here. Recruiting DOES matter. And how can you even evaluate Randy Edsall's coaching? Are you at the practices? Have you spoken to the players? If you want to talk about play-calling or about schemes, a lot of that is on Mike Locksley and Brian Stewart. Edsall has done a very good job at making this team better each year he's been here. 

Mark Turgeon is 3-14 in conference road games since he came to Maryland. Randy Edsall is 1-7 (1-9 if you count this season).

Turge is getting Top 10 classes. Edsall is getting Top 30 classes. Big difference.

I don't know what more to say. Besides the bad coaching, he's done absolutely nothing to revitalize the fanbase. People know a loser when they see one.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, one could argue Turge has fared slightly worse than Edsall so far, when you take everything into account. That said, I have much more faith personally in Turge being here LT than I do Edsall. But I'm not quite ready to write off Edsall yet. 

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

None of this is right.

Of course it is right. Gary left Turge with almost no talent his first year. He had like 6 scholarship players. Last year with a bunch of first year players in the program and soph Alex Len he won 20+ games and went to the NIT semis. That's at least the equivalent of a lower tier bowl win.

Fridge left more in the cupboard than Gary though Edsall completely lost half of them.

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Turge is getting Top 10 classes. Edsall is getting Top 30 classes. Big difference.

I don't know what more to say. Besides the bad coaching, he's done absolutely nothing to revitalize the fanbase. People know a loser when they see one.

Turgeon has not had a top 10 class yet.  Maybe the 2014 class will end up being there.  MD is ranked 3rd now (according to 24/7), but they are probably finished and there are still a ton of shoes left to drop in that class.  I would guess they end up in the 15-ish range, but that's just a guess.  (This year's class, BTW, is ranked 34th, last year's was 18th, again according to 24/7).

Of course, none of that is really a fair comparison either, since MD is a legit basketball school with an abundance of basketball talent in the area, while the football program has been mediocre at best for the past 30 years.

I agree, as usual, with ZackKiesel.  Both programs have had a very similar trajectory to this point, with similar positives and similar negatives.  But I also agree with Birds of B-more, Turgeon's position will start to be a bit uncomfortable if the BB team does not make the tourney this year.

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

How can you possibly say Edsall has been a step down from Fridge when you look at all the facts?  Again, just mentioning W/L record is not a fair argument.

@bopper33

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, one could argue Turge has fared slightly worse than Edsall so far, when you take everything into account. That said, I have much more faith personally in Turge being here LT than I do Edsall. But I'm not quite ready to write off Edsall yet. 

That's because Turge has legit track record.

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

That's because Turge has legit track record.

Yea, what Edsall did at UConn clearly isn't "legit" :roll:

You're beaten here, you're clearly biased and when you're biased you aren't able to see things rationally.  Just move on like you said you would.

• Dr. FLK and BSLZackKiesel like this

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=