#101 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Why exactly? Because he spanks his kid with a switch? Maybe the 4 year old doesn't listen to reason. Maybe when you put him in time out, he just gets up and does what he wants. I don't spank my son, but there are kids who will push anyone to their limits. Experts can say that parents shouldn't do this or that when you raise your kids, but what do they know about my kids? You can't lump all these kids into one group. They're individuals and they all respond differently to discipline. There are no easy answers when it comes to raising kids. My son likes to try to climb into the oven when I'm baking something. I put one of my stepsons in time out, he sat down for 15 seconds then threw a Wii remote through a flat screen tv. You do the best you can, and if you're a good man, you're going to do all right. But you're going to be tested and you're going to make mistakes.
Now, hitting with a switch is too far. But that's how he was raised. I don't think he needs to be locked up for it.

I have no issue with him spanking his kid, etc....this country has turned into a bunch of liberal PC pussies when it comes to stuff like that.

But when you take, essentially, a weapon and beat him to the point where he did in this case, that's different.

I agree the intent wasn't to do this but the intent here doesn't override the result.

This is a 4 year old child. 4!

If you don't think he should be locked up, I assume you don't think Rice should, right?

#102 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

I think the switch and how aggressive he apparently was with it is why it's so bad. But his intentions, no matter how misguided, were in the right place IMO. You can't say that about Rice.

Don't disagree with this although we don't know how much alcohol played a part in Rice's mind.

That being said, Janay has a much better chance at defending herself than a 4 year old does.

#103 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think the switch and how aggressive he apparently was with it is why it's so bad. But his intentions, no matter how misguided, were in the right place IMO. You can't say that about Rice.

Don't disagree with this although we don't know how much alcohol played a part in Rice's mind.

That being said, Janay has a much better chance at defending herself than a 4 year old does.

Neither have a real chance at defending themselves in those situations.
  • KWebz likes this

#104 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Why exactly? Because he spanks his kid with a switch? Maybe the 4 year old doesn't listen to reason. Maybe when you put him in time out, he just gets up and does what he wants. I don't spank my son, but there are kids who will push anyone to their limits. Experts can say that parents shouldn't do this or that when you raise your kids, but what do they know about my kids? You can't lump all these kids into one group. They're individuals and they all respond differently to discipline. There are no easy answers when it comes to raising kids. My son likes to try to climb into the oven when I'm baking something. I put one of my stepsons in time out, he sat down for 15 seconds then threw a Wii remote through a flat screen tv. You do the best you can, and if you're a good man, you're going to do all right. But you're going to be tested and you're going to make mistakes.

Now, hitting with a switch is too far. But that's how he was raised. I don't think he needs to be locked up for it.

I have no issue with him spanking his kid, etc....this country has turned into a bunch of liberal PC pussies when it comes to stuff like that.

But when you take, essentially, a weapon and beat him to the point where he did in this case, that's different.

I agree the intent wasn't to do this but the intent here doesn't override the result.

This is a 4 year old child. 4!

If you don't think he should be locked up, I assume you don't think Rice should, right?

I do think Rice should be locked up. Like we both said, apples and oranges. There's no excuse for what Rice did. I can see AP's reasoning. What Rice did was outright wrong. What AP did was a matter of degree, and something he clearly felt wasn't bad parenting.

#105 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

I do think Rice should be locked up. Like we both said, apples and oranges. There's no excuse for what Rice did. I can see AP's reasoning. What Rice did was outright wrong. What AP did was a matter of degree, and something he clearly felt wasn't bad parenting.

By this logic, can't Rice say he didn't feel he was a bad boyfriend? Maybe she needed to be disciplined?

#106 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yep..apples and oranges. This is way worse.

Then you need to be a better parent. (Not YOU you, just to be clear)

It is a parents job to know their kid and find a way. With a 5 and 3 year old I understand completely the difficulties of that age range...but its your job as a parent to be smarter then them and find a way. Lazy parents beat their kid...its an act of frustration because they let someone with limited reason skills get under their skin.

I have no sympathy for someone who says nothing works except pain and the threat of it, that's a half assed lazy way to parent. If it takes you sitting them in time out and you sitting there with them to keep them in that seat, so be it. Try getting them to understand why they are in trouble and what consequences are.

People that beat kids that savagely go straight from nothing to that because they honestly believe its the only way. They don't try other methods and just finally get there after exhausting other options, because the people that will do try so many alternatives don't believe in the physical abuse alternative.

Keep in mind this is a big difference between spanking a kid once or smacking their hand or something...this is beating a defenseless kid that doesn't understand what he did.
  • You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, 1970 and 1 other like this
@JeremyMStrain

#107 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

Here is something else to think about : This man is college educated, yet he's still beating a four year old with a tree branch, hitting his exposed scrotum and leaving "welps". Speaks to what a joke college football is. Quit with the fake education nonsense and just make a minor league football program.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#108 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

THIS JUST IN: Vikings announce RB Adrian Peterson is returning to team and is expected to play Sunday.

I'm surprised.

#109 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

THIS JUST IN: Vikings announce RB Adrian Peterson is returning to team and is expected to play Sunday.

I'm surprised.

I'm a little surprised as well. Has the NFL said why they haven't suspended him?

#110 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Bottom line is and always will be winning. Shame on the Vikings.

#111 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

Wow, I'm shocked.  It will be interesting to see how fans react.

Did anyone catch the Charles Barkley segment on the Dan Patrick Show today?   Barkley brought up something that I had originally missed -- Peterson originally testified Aug 21 in front of grand jury. On Sept 4 they decided not to indict. Then, a  week later they decide to indict.

Barkley went on to make some absolutely moronic comments (IMHO) about how what Peterson did was not child abuse and that Peterson simply may have just "crossed the line a little bit".   Not sure what he "crossed the line a little bit" into, if not child abuse.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

The Vikings want to wait for the judicial process to play out here, that's not the route I'd go, but fine. As for the NFL, Goodell has made a big deal out of them not needing to wait for the judicial system to play out, so they should never use that justification for not acting. Be consistent. I'll be interested to see if they suspend him or not. You almost think they have to given the PR situation going on.

#113 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

IMO, he should be suspended 6 games. This is domestic violence, is it not?

Just got the text update -- reinstated by the Vikings.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#114 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hey Vikings, here's a suggestion for a helmet logo for Sunday's game.  Own that terrible decision.

dkAmf1r.png

• McNulty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#115 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

https://twitter.com/...9316480/photo/1

#116 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Very reasonable letter from AP.

He better hope there's no video though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#117 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

It's sad that I have to share the same planet with some of the commenters at the bottom of that article.  Calling that "spanking" is like calling rape "dating".

• You Play to Win the Game and Icterus galbula like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#118 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

"So 48 hours of time-out as punishment?  If only the Vikings were in charge of AD's kid's discipline."

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#119 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Respect the letter, but feeling like he does love his kid and this isn't a recurring thing doesn't mean I don't think he should be harshly punished. At minimum the 6 game domestic abuse penalty. Facts being facts, he was charged with assaulting the kid, which should meet the JUST SET guidelines for a 6 game ban at least.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and Icterus galbula like this
@JeremyMStrain

#120 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

The comments saying it's none of our business are interesting.  Peterson is saying that, due to the attention this incident received, he now realizes he shouldn't beat the crap out of his kid with a tree branch anymore.  So, by us sticking our nose in his business, we have potentially saved his kids from future beatings.   So, is it a good thing or a bad thing that we care about the "welps" on his kid's body?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=