#81 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

Good news, guys, Peterson's lawyer says it was unintentional. http://profootballta...ury-to-his-son/Man, these professional liars make me sick.

I highly doubt that his intent was to do what he did, at least at the start.

But he didn't exactly let up either.

#82 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Serious talk. WTF could a 4 year old have possibly done, that someone considers it intentional and malicious enough to beat them with a stick????
That "my mama used to hit me with a switch" shit is BS. They used to use leaches to cure sinus infections too.
I HATE bad parents. HAAAAAATE.

Yea, this is way overboard. A 4 year old? Seriously?

I don't want to make domestic violence out to be nothing but what AP did to his FOUR year old son is way worse than what ride did.

I know we don't have a video but we have pictures and quite frankly you don't need a video for this. Everyone should be outraged by this on a much higher level than Rice.

#83 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Maybe he needs to learn the definition of "intent". Did he think there would be a different result?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#84 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Serious talk. WTF could a 4 year old have possibly done, that someone considers it intentional and malicious enough to beat them with a stick????

That "my mama used to hit me with a switch" shit is BS. They used to use leaches to cure sinus infections too.

I HATE bad parents. HAAAAAATE.

Especially since studies show corporeal punishment doesn't work and actually has detrimental effects on a child's long term development.

#85 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

Is this the worst week in NFL history? Does anyone still feel like watching football this weekend?

#86 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:30 AM

Is this the worst week in NFL history? Does anyone still feel like watching football this weekend?

I thought this summed it up well:

I've always loved my #NFL football, but based on this week's news and the culture it seems to represent... for now, I'm out.

I agree.

@fuzydunlop

#87 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,622 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

I can't wait for the next person, who will undoubtedly be an NFL fan, to tell me what a "thug league" the NBA is.
  • mweb08 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#88 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

I thought this summed it up well:

Rob Lowe @RobLowe

I've always loved my #NFL football, but based on this week's news and the culture it seems to represent... for now, I'm out.

I agree.

I wonder how Rob Lowe feels about the party and womanizing culture, because that's part of the problem with the culture of NFL as well.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

AP was obviously raised the same way, and he thinks he turned out OK, and wants to help ensure his kid does too by replicating what his parents did. Yet another example of how so many people aren't remotely qualified to be a parent. It's one of the true crimes that isn't recognized as such, yet is ultimatelyone of the worst crimes there is. (Bad parenting in general, I mean)

The sick part is the text exchange to the mom. Peterson seemed fairly giddy about it. Like he enjoyed that it was his turn to do to his kid what his parents did to him.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

AP was obviously raised the same way, and he thinks he turned out OK, and wants to help ensure his kid does too by replicating what his parents did. Yet another example of how so many people aren't remotely qualified to be a parent. It's one of the true crimes that isn't recognized as such, yet is ultimatelyone of the worst crimes there is. (Bad parenting in general, I mean)The sick part is the text exchange to the mom. Peterson seemed fairly giddy about it. Like he enjoyed that it was his turn to do to his kid what his parents did to him.

Yea, not only that but football players obviously a propensity for violence and that makes these acts even less surprising.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

AP was obviously raised the same way, and he thinks he turned out OK, and wants to help ensure his kid does too by replicating what his parents did. Yet another example of how so many people aren't remotely qualified to be a parent. It's one of the true crimes that isn't recognized as such, yet is ultimatelyone of the worst crimes there is. (Bad parenting in general, I mean)

The sick part is the text exchange to the mom. Peterson seemed fairly giddy about it. Like he enjoyed that it was his turn to do to his kid what his parents did to him.

He clearly thought he was providing good parenting. Totally agree it's because it is what he experienced, and thinks it as appropriate.  4 year old  being struck at-all, let-alone 10-15 times? Ugh.

In a previous post above, Rob said he considered this worse than what Ray did.  I don't want to get into that. Slippery slope debating what horrible thing is worse.

I'll say that even if his intentions (providing discipline) were in the right place... the results here are sick. Don't know if significant ramifications will come to AP, but do think this image will stay with him.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

He clearly thought he was providing good parenting. Totally agree it's because it is what he experienced, and thinks it as appropriate.  4 year old  being struck at-all, let-alone 10-15 times? Ugh.

In a previous post above, Rob said he considered this worse than what Ray did.  I don't want to get into that. Slippery slope debating what horrible thing is worse.

I'll say that even if his intentions (providing discipline) were in the right place... the results here are sick. Don't know if significant ramifications will come to AP, but do think this image will stay with him.

Totally agree. I just wish the debate on this centered around parenting issues. That's where the problem is. But as always, it's going to remain about what the NFL does, how the Vikings react, vitriol, vitriol, etc. These things are so much more complex than the media ever cares to portray, and that is a big concern about for me in terms of whether or not change really does come from things like this.

#93 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

He clearly thought he was providing good parenting. Totally agree it's because it is what he experienced, and thinks it as appropriate. 4 year old being struck at-all, let-alone 10-15 times? Ugh.
In a previous post above, Rob said he considered this worse than what Ray did. I don't want to get into that. Slippery slope debating what horrible thing is worse.

The problem is, everyone had this intense hate towards Rice...which is justified.

But where is that same hate towards AP?

I know a video isn't there but we don't need one.

I mean, look at this thread...there has barely been a mention of it on here yet we had tons of people throwing their opinions out there about domestic violence...and that was before the step was released.

#94 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

I agree Rob. The fact this isn't getting more press or talked about is crazy.

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hit the news cycle late on a Friday afternoon. Will get more tomorrow on the NFL shows. Will pick-up more on Monday, when all the weekly programming returns.

It won't reach the same proportions of the Rice incident though, the lack of video being a major reason.

#96 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

This is terrible. No defense for it. I will say that the thought process and "justification" that AP used was much better than whatever thought process and "justification" is used for punching a women. The end result is awful on both accounts, though. There should be serious repercussions for this, preferably primarily legal ones.

#97 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

I can't see him getting any legal punishment out of this. If he didn't hit his child's thigh when the switch wrapped around, then he's not in trouble. He got a little overzealous in his discipline and he'll be ordered to attend counseling and that'll be it. No way this blows up to Rice standards. It's apples and oranges.

#98 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

I can't see him getting any legal punishment out of this. If he didn't hit his child's thigh when the switch wrapped around, then he's not in trouble. He got a little overzealous in his discipline and he'll be ordered to attend counseling and that'll be it. No way this blows up to Rice standards. It's apples and oranges.

Yep..apples and oranges. This is way worse.
  • JeremyStrain and BobPhelan like this

#99 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yep..apples and oranges. This is way worse.

Why exactly? Because he spanks his kid with a switch? Maybe the 4 year old doesn't listen to reason. Maybe when you put him in time out, he just gets up and does what he wants. I don't spank my son, but there are kids who will push anyone to their limits. Experts can say that parents shouldn't do this or that when you raise your kids, but what do they know about my kids? You can't lump all these kids into one group. They're individuals and they all respond differently to discipline. There are no easy answers when it comes to raising kids. My son likes to try to climb into the oven when I'm baking something. I put one of my stepsons in time out, he sat down for 15 seconds then threw a Wii remote through a flat screen tv. You do the best you can, and if you're a good man, you're going to do all right. But you're going to be tested and you're going to make mistakes.

Now, hitting with a switch is too far. But that's how he was raised. I don't think he needs to be locked up for it.
  • KWebz likes this

#100 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

I think the switch and how aggressive he apparently was with it is why it's so bad. But his intentions, no matter how misguided, were in the right place IMO. You can't say that about Rice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=