#61 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

That's a big add for dook. Of course, he won't contribute this year, when they could really use him most. But it's as good as adding a top-20 recruit for next year.

Then again, he's basically the same style player as everyone else dook gets these days. He won't help them break the mold. And until they do that, they are predictable and exploitable. I don't fear them anywhere near as much as I once did.

Duke hasnt had his athleticism plus he is 6'8".

I have seen him talked about as a top 10 NBA pick after his soph season.

#62 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Duke hasnt had his athleticism plus he is 6'8".

I have seen him talked about as a top 10 NBA pick after his soph season.

First of all, he might be officially listed at 6'8", but that's stretching things a bit. He's a lean kid who is probably closer to 6'7" and just looks long. He's a SF/SG, just like everyone else on dook's roster not named Plumlee. He can't handle the ball, he doesn't have the strength to bang down low, and that makes him, yet again, just like everyone else on the dook roster.

He has very good range, he is athletic, as you said, and he's got a lot of potential. But top 10? Already after one more year? No way.

It's a great pickup. It just doesn't do anything to change the impression that dook is all shooters who can maybe drive the lane. I think Hood is more of a drive the lane guy who can shoot, so that's an improvement, but they are still lacking any kind of post game.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#63 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

First of all, he might be officially listed at 6'8", but that's stretching things a bit. He's a lean kid who is probably closer to 6'7" and just looks long. He's a SF/SG, just like everyone else on dook's roster not named Plumlee. He can't handle the ball, he doesn't have the strength to bang down low, and that makes him, yet again, just like everyone else on the dook roster.

He has very good range, he is athletic, as you said, and he's got a lot of potential. But top 10? Already after one more year? No way.

It's a great pickup. It just doesn't do anything to change the impression that dook is all shooters who can maybe drive the lane. I think Hood is more of a drive the lane guy who can shoot, so that's an improvement, but they are still lacking any kind of post game.

Yes, he doesn't help the post game.

But you are wrong that he is the type of player Duke has had. They have liked athleticism in a big way,especially athletes with size.

If he were a 6'3" slow footed, non athletic guard who can shoot, then Hood would be the same player they have.

Hood is the athletic wing player they have lacked in the last few years.

#64 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

I see, so Rivers and Irving would qualify as unathletic? And so would Nolan Smith and Andre Dawkins and even Lance Thomas, right? And DeMarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson?

That's just the past 5 years.

What they've lacked more than anything is athletic players who can play down low. Instead, they've had big stiffs like Zoubek and the Plumlees and Ryan Kelly.

If they had ONE player like a Thomas Robinson or a John Henson, or hell, even a Tyler Zeller, who can at least run the court, they'd have a completely different type of threat, and teams couldn't gameplan them as much.

The closest they've come is Thomas, who was a huge disappointment to them.

Hood simply doesn't answer this need. Granted, he's more Kyle Singler than Martynas Pocius, but he's not going to win them a title either.

-Walter Sobchak

#65 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I see, so Rivers and Irving would qualify as unathletic? And so would Nolan Smith and Andre Dawkins and even Lance Thomas, right? And DeMarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson?

That's just the past 5 years.

What they've lacked more than anything is athletic players who can play down low. Instead, they've had big stiffs like Zoubek and the Plumlees and Ryan Kelly.

If they had ONE player like a Thomas Robinson or a John Henson, or hell, even a Tyler Zeller, who can at least run the court, they'd have a completely different type of threat, and teams couldn't gameplan them as much.

The closest they've come is Thomas, who was a huge disappointment to them.

Hood simply doesn't answer this need. Granted, he's more Kyle Singler than Martynas Pocius, but he's not going to win them a title either.

Rivers wasn't that athletic. And yes, they have had a few guys. But when they play teams with athletic guards and big men, they struggle. They havent have the perimeter athleticism at all.

They have had a lo of size recently but no, not a low post threat but they didn't have one when they won the title in 2010 either.

#66 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

That 2010 title annoys me more than any other. They deserved the other titles they've won, more or less. But they fluked into that one, and it's really frustrating to me that ratface was gifted a title when he's obviously lost a lot of his touch.

-Walter Sobchak

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

That 2010 title annoys me more than any other. They deserved the other titles they've won, more or less. But they fluked into that one, and it's really frustrating to me that ratface was gifted a title when he's obviously lost a lot of his touch.

Kentucky and Kansas losing was huge for that team.

But they won and didnt choke and have superstar players wilt under pressure.

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/m... ... 13-openers

Duke/Kentucky will end the marathon of basketball day.

#69 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Due to a heart condition, Rick Majerus will not coach the Saint Louis Billikens this season.

#70 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Due to a heart condition, Rick Majerus will not coach the Saint Louis Billikens this season.

I was a bit surprised he even got back to coaching in the first place. He had that USC thing where he insisted he was healthy then a few days later he wasn't. And I find it amazing he lasted this long. This is hardly shocking.
@levineps

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

ESPNRick Majerus takes leave of absence

http://espn.go.com/m...illikens-health
@levineps

#72 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

I know many don't know/think much of the Billikens, but the loss of Majerus is pretty significant if you ask me. He really brought a lot to that program: recognition, recruits, etc. Many analysts are saying that Majerus will retire, as he has not yet determined if he'll be back for the 2013-2014 season.

It will be interesting to see what SLU does to replace him. In the past 2-3 years, they have risen to the top of the A10. Will they be able to stay there? The A10 is getting stronger and stronger.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

ESPN: 50 in 50 series (50 most successful programs last 50 years)
http://espn.go.com/b...50-in-50-series

1 UNC
4 Duke
27 Maryland

#74 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

1 UNC
4 Duke
27 Maryland

34 Xavier :D

#75 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

1 UNC
4 Duke
27 Maryland

As a Heels fan, I can't help but agree, BUT... this really should be qualified. Carolina only came in first because UCLA lost points for having been put on probation one time for recruiting violations. So while they called this the "most successful" programs, it is actually the combination of "most successful" and "cleanest" programs.

That having been said, there was no doubt who the top 5 would be in some order, and in fact, the top 3 were pretty much a sure thing too. It's hard to differentiate between the success they've had at Carolina, UCLA, and Kentucky, other than that Carolina's success has been more sustained and consistent - they have managed to avoid any stretch of more than 2-3 years of downtime, while the others (including dook) have not.

-Walter Sobchak

#76 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

27 Maryland

BTW, I take exception at Maryland being ranked behind Texas (26) and Penn (T-22). I think they are in the same general level as Arkansas (25) and maybe a bit behind Cincinnati (24). I can see the case for Princeton (T-22) too, although I think they are probably behind Maryland too.

So I'd have ranked Maryland at #23.

Also, there's a huge problem with any ranking system that puts Murray St. at #28 and Western Kentucky at #30. They get credit for winning tons of conference championships, which is impressive. But they don't belong in the discussion of most successful programs ahead of teams the likes of Notre Dame, Oklahoma, St. John's, NC State, Missouri, and Xavier. Put Illinois in one of their conferences and they'd win it every year too.

-Walter Sobchak

#77 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

For all you who love to bitch and moan that Carolina gets basketball scheduling special preference from the conference:

http://sports.yahoo.... ... ncaab.html

-Walter Sobchak

#78 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

ESPN: Gotham Classic

http://espn.go.com/n...-gotham-classic

A new tournament I didn't know about. MSG gets a lot of use for sure!
@levineps

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Sporting News: Top 25 teams for 2012-13
http://aol.sportingn...recommended_3_5

#80 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF