• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Jeff Goodman of CBS has compiled a hefty list of NCAA basketball players looking to transfer.

http://www.cbssports... ... st-edition

Biggest name should be Alex Oriakhi of UConn, who is looking to obtain a waiver to play this upcoming season. Remember that it appears that the Huskies will be ineligible for postseason play due to the new NCAA academic rules.

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz
Not surprising that UConn's last appeal was denied. This makes Alex Oriakhi's decision to leave easier. Next up to decide Drummond/Lamb.

Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz
This means that UConn won't participate in the 2013 Big East tournament and/or any postseason.

This was their appeal after the NCAA deemed them academically ineligible for postseason.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Well, the "offseason" has been going on for about a week now. For those who aren't Twitter-savvy, I figured I could make a thread where we could post any news on recruiting, transferring players, scheduling updates, or coaching searches in this thread.

The top two players, Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad will declare where they will go for next year tonight. Noel's list is Georgetown, Kentucky, and Syracuse, while Shabazz has UCLA, Kentucky, and Duke as his final three.

The hottest transfer on the list is UConn big man Alex Oriakhi, who intends to play this year following the NCAA sanctions and postseason ban on UConn. He has narrowed his list to UNC, Kentucky, Mizzou, and Xavier. If Noel decides to go to the Commonwealth, I could see Oriakhi looking elsewhere, as he wants playing time and a stage to showcase his NBA talent. (Personally hoping he comes to Xavier, of course. :mrgreen: )

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

As a MD fan, I'm really hoping that Kentucky lands both Noel and Muhammad. With the Terps opening their season with the Wildcats next year, I want the Wildcats hyped not just as the defending champs; but as a team capable of winning again.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Shabazz Muhammad to UCLA, Nerlens Noel to Kentucky.

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Alex Oriakhi chose to go to Mizzou last night.

In coaching news, SMU is looking at Larry Brown. They have already been denied by other coaches several times, the latest coming from SLU's Rick Majerus.

#7 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Great idea for a thread, Chris B!

i was hoping Oriakhi would come to Carolina, but wish him the best at Mizzou. They'll be loaded again moving to the SEC.

Obviously my Heels lost a ton of talent, and next year will be just the opposite of this past year as we'll have to be a guard oriented offense, with McAdoo in the middle. Should fit Roy's style of play at least.
@beginthebegin71

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Duke has had about as rough an offseason/end of season as they have had in years.

Doesn't look like Parker or Jefferson will pick Duke...Maybe they get in on Rodney Hood but Duke wasn't one of the schools he looked into coming out of HS, so I would say thats a long shot.

they are in on the top guys for next year but thats a long ways away right now.

the red shirt guys Plumlee and Murphy, will have to be huge for them next year. I expect Murphy to be a very good player...sounds like Marshall will still be a year or 2 away.

#9 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

If dook is counting on a Plumlee, they are in real trouble.

Did you hear that they turned the big men over to Jeff Capel (used to be Wojo)? If you were a big man coming out of high school (unless your last name is Plumlee), why in the world would you go to dook? They have very little track record of developing big men for the pros, they have guards coaching them, and they play a style that undervalues them and depresses their stats.

I hear Parker is likely to go for either Kentucky or UNC.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Did you hear that they turned the big men over to Jeff Capel (used to be Wojo)? If you were a big man coming out of high school (unless your last name is Plumlee), why in the world would you go to dook? They have very little track record of developing big men for the pros, they have guards coaching them, and they play a style that undervalues them and depresses their stats.

Plumlee is a good rebounder, decent shot blocker and can provide some offense...in no way should he be the focal point of anything I really fail to see first round pick with the guy.

Agree about the big men..They haven't had a lot of success there but their ability to draft NBA talent has really increased but it is guards and wing players.

I think Parker could easily end up in UCLA with Shabazz.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Plumlee is a good rebounder, decent shot blocker and can provide some offense...in no way should he be the focal point of anything and I really fail to see first round pick with the guy. Still, I am glad he is back and his double double capabilities will be needed.

Agree about the big men..They haven't had a lot of success there but their ability to draft NBA talent has really increased but it is guards and wing players.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wow, the hits keep coming for Duke. Gibinije transferring:

http://www.goduke.co... ... EM_ID=4200

I am surprised by this. He would have likely gotten a lot of playing time this year. I actually thought he could have gotten more at the end of last year but K doesn't play freshman a lot of minutes unless they are really good.

#13 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

HAHA, I just realized that you were referring to Tony Parker and Amile Jefferson!!!

I was talking about Jabari Parker and Rondae Jefferson!!!

Tony Parker: 2012 Rivals #27/Scout #20
Amile Jefferson: 2012 Rivals #36/Scout #22

Jabari Parker: 2013 Rivals #2/Scout #1
Rondae Jefferson: 2013 Rivals #19/Scout #22

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you said Parker would go to UCLA. Jabari Parker isn't considering UCLA - he's probably going to choose between UNC, dook, Kansas, Michigan St., and Illinois, with Kentucky probably making a late push on him. And my rumor mill says that Roy Williams is recruiting him himself (whereas Kryzyzewski has assigned Chris Collins to him, possibly signifying a white flag), which means he has made him his top priority.

If Carolina gets Parker for 2013, watch out. He'd be joining Nate Britt (Rivals #11/Scout #15) and Isaiah Hicks (Rivals #22/Scout #8) to form a super-class.

This is Roy WIlliams' style - he recruits one year of 3-4 guys who are top 20 players who will leave after a year or two, then one year of 3-4 guys who are ranked #25-75 who will likely stay for 3-4 years. In 2012, he got Paige (#34/#29), Tokoto (#45/#90), B. Johnson (#49/#48), and James (#65/#68).

As opposed to Calipari's style, in which he goes after (and pays for?) a killer class every year and figures they'll walk. The Calipari method is high risk/high reward, and is bound to backfire on Kentucky as soon as the NCAA investigators start sniffing around, by which time Calipari will be long gone to the NBA. Maybe this time they'll finally hit him with a show cause that'll keep him from returning.

-Walter Sobchak

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

HAHA, I just realized that you were referring to Tony Parker and Amile Jefferson!!!

I was talking about Jabari Parker and Rondae Jefferson!!!

Tony Parker: 2012 Rivals #27/Scout #20
Amile Jefferson: 2012 Rivals #36/Scout #22

Jabari Parker: 2013 Rivals #2/Scout #1
Rondae Jefferson: 2013 Rivals #19/Scout #22

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you said Parker would go to UCLA. Jabari Parker isn't considering UCLA - he's probably going to choose between UNC, dook, Kansas, Michigan St., and Illinois, with Kentucky probably making a late push on him. And my rumor mill says that Roy Williams is recruiting him himself (whereas Kryzyzewski has assigned Chris Collins to him, possibly signifying a white flag), which means he has made him his top priority.

If Carolina gets Parker for 2013, watch out. He'd be joining Nate Britt (Rivals #11/Scout #15) and Isaiah Hicks (Rivals #22/Scout #8) to form a super-class.

This is Roy WIlliams' style - he recruits one year of 3-4 guys who are top 20 players who will leave after a year or two, then one year of 3-4 guys who are ranked #25-75 who will likely stay for 3-4 years. In 2012, he got Paige (#34/#29), Tokoto (#45/#90), B. Johnson (#49/#48), and James (#65/#68).

As opposed to Calipari's style, in which he goes after (and pays for?) a killer class every year and figures they'll walk. The Calipari method is high risk/high reward, and is bound to backfire on Kentucky as soon as the NCAA investigators start sniffing around, by which time Calipari will be long gone to the NBA. Maybe this time they'll finally hit him with a show cause that'll keep him from returning.

Weren't we supposed to watch out for UNC this season? :D ;)

Yea, I am not sure Duke ends up with Jabari but I do know they are pushing hard for him now.

#15 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

An Elite 8 appearance that was only a few minutes away from a Final Four spot despite 3 season-ending injuries to top 7 guys and a severely hampering injury to a 4th guy isn't enough to have watched out for?

Certainly it was better than losing to Lehigh in the first round, wasn't it? ;)

-Walter Sobchak

#16 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

An Elite 8 appearance that was only a few minutes away from a Final Four spot despite 3 season-ending injuries to top 7 guys and a severely hampering injury to a 4th guy isn't enough to have watched out for?

This will always be the ultimate "what might have been" season for the Heels. Man, so much talent, so many injuries. Knowing those guys were all leaving made it worse to watch those last three minutes of the Kansas game.

Sigh.
@beginthebegin71

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Still came away with the same thing as Duke...nada! :D

Actually, I think they were the best team if they were healthy but they still should have been able top advance had Barnes not come up so small.

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Not surprising, but the Wildcats (Davis, Kidd-GIlchrist, Teague, Terrence Jones, and Doron Lamb) all declared that they are entering the NBA Draft.

Kentucky is the epitome of reloading though, as they have the #1 recruiting class in the nation for 2012 (4th consecutive year with that honor).

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Not surprising, but the Wildcats (Davis, Kidd-GIlchrist, Teague, Terrence Jones, and Doron Lamb) all declared that they are entering the NBA Draft.

Kentucky is the epitome of reloading though, as they have the #1 recruiting class in the nation for 2012 (4th consecutive year with that honor).

I know Jones is expected to be a lottery pick, but will Teague and Lamb crack the Top 20 picks?

#20 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

I know Jones is expected to be a lottery pick, but will Teague and Lamb crack the Top 20 picks?

I'm not much of an NBA guy, but after browsing through some mocks, it seems like a lot of people have them just outside Top 20. Some draft boards don't even have them going in the first round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=