#21 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Meanwhile, the Carolina 4 are all projected in the top 15, I believe.

Did you guys see this story?

http://sports.yahoo.... ... 08129.html

What do you think about coaches restricting a player's ability to transfer to certain schools?

I've always believed that a coach should be able to keep a player from transferring within the conference, as well as to certain rivals. But I think Bo Ryan (who I have very little respect for as a coach thanks to a number of things he said about Roy Williams and UNC) is going over the top here.

I can see restricting him from going ot the other 11 Big 10 schools and to local rival Marquette. But he's keeping him from going to any ACC schools? Why? So he won't have to possibly face him in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Really? And why not his hometown Iowa St.? That's just vindictive.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

What do you think about coaches restricting a player's ability to transfer to certain schools?

I've always believed that a coach should be able to keep a player from transferring within the conference, as well as to certain rivals. But I think Bo Ryan (who I have very little respect for as a coach thanks to a number of things he said about Roy Williams and UNC) is going over the top here.

I can see restricting him from going ot the other 11 Big 10 schools and to local rival Marquette. But he's keeping him from going to any ACC schools? Why? So he won't have to possibly face him in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Really? And why not his hometown Iowa St.? That's just vindictive.

I think coaches should be limited to preventing transferees going to any teams within conference and teams you are already scheduled to play. Anything beyond that, should be fair game. A potential game in the ACC/Big Ten challenge is a bit tricky, as it's within the gray area of my previous sentence.

I'm not aware of the incident you're talking about, but it sounds very similar to the issues with Maryland and QB Danny O'Brien when he transferred. Edsall originally wouldn't allow him release to go to Vanderbilt to be with former OC James Franklin, but after some heavy public scrutiny, they relented. O'Brien ended up choosing to go to Wisconsin, actually.

#23 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the ACC has a rule that student athletes cannot transfer to other ACC schools. It's not a school rule, it's a conference rule.

Apparently, the Big 10 doesn't have such a rule.

Mackus, how far into the future would the scheduled team thing apply? If they are playing the team in the coming season, the kid won't be playing against them anyway, as he has to sit for a year. And if they are playing the team 3 or 4 years from now? I know most schools schedule home-and-homes a couple years in advance, and the bigger schools will schedule a series of games for a 4-10 year stretch. For example, UNC and Kentucky play every year, and they renew the series every 4 years, I believe.

-Walter Sobchak

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the ACC has a rule that student athletes cannot transfer to other ACC schools. It's not a school rule, it's a conference rule.

Apparently, the Big 10 doesn't have such a rule.

Mackus, how far into the future would the scheduled team thing apply? If they are playing the team in the coming season, the kid won't be playing against them anyway, as he has to sit for a year. And if they are playing the team 3 or 4 years from now? I know most schools schedule home-and-homes a couple years in advance, and the bigger schools will schedule a series of games for a 4-10 year stretch. For example, UNC and Kentucky play every year, and they renew the series every 4 years, I believe.

Not exactly, I saw the rule referred to when DOB announced he was leaving. The rule is that they have to sit out two years, instead of one. In essence, it is to serve as even a bigger deterrent. Not exactly how it would be applied in a case like DOB's since he's using his remaining eligibility as a grad student. My guess is that he would still have to sit out two years if say he had transferred to Duke.
@levineps

#25 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Not exactly, I saw the rule referred to when DOB announced he was leaving. The rule is that they have to sit out two years, instead of one. In essence, it is to serve as even a bigger deterrent. Not exactly how it would be applied in a case like DOB's since he's using his remaining eligibility as a grad student. My guess is that he would still have to sit out two years if say he had transferred to Duke.

FIrst of all, thanks for the clarification. That's excellent info.

Second, I have even more respect for the ACC then. They still give the player the option to transfer within the conference. It's up to the player (and the school to an extent) whether it's worthwhile waiting so long to go to the school of his choice. The deterrent is still there, and it's an appropriate one. But the player's freedom is not restricted unnecessarily and unfairly.

I hope Bo Ryan is given so much flak for this that he ultimately relents. I also hope that he loses out on recruits because of this (as Phil Martelli has at St. Joe's). What player wants to play for a coach knowing that he has no freedom to move to a different program of his choice if things go wrong? And who wants to play for a coach who is so vindictive?

-Walter Sobchak

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well, Bo Ryan made himself look like a fool this morning on Mike&Mike.

I didn't listen but CBS's Jeff Goodman was railing into him on Twitter.

#27 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

http://www.cbssports... ... rod-uthoff

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Well, Bo Ryan made himself look like a fool this morning on Mike&Mike.

I didn't listen but CBS's Jeff Goodman was railing into him on Twitter.

All he kept saying was that this is something every school and every coach does.

He never really answer the question of, just because others do this and you have the right, why did you go through with it and actually do it?

He brought up how these guys practice with you, blah blah blah.

Fine but what does that have to do with going to Iowa St?

Ryan did look bad this morning even if he is right that most programs/coaches do the same thing.

He also talked about the appeal process and how the coach isn't involved in that and that his decision(meaning Ryan's) could get overturned.

But still, why block him to begin with?

#29 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

even if he is right that most programs/coaches do the same thing.

The last 4 transfers from Carolina had zero restrictions put on them other than the ones assigned by the ACC. Of course, all four of them ended up going to schools in California, so maybe there wasn't a need.

Actually, there was one restriction put on Larry Drew II - never, ever, ever come back!

-Walter Sobchak

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

http://www.thetimesn... ... ation.html

Now, there is an Andre Dawkins situation brewing in Duke?

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

The last 4 transfers from Carolina had zero restrictions put on them other than the ones assigned by the ACC. Of course, all four of them ended up going to schools in California, so maybe there wasn't a need.

Actually, there was one restriction put on Larry Drew II - never, ever, ever come back!

I don't ever recall hearing any school put the restrictions on a player the way Ryan was.

Although, it is good to hear that he took those restrictions away, in large part because of that Mike and Mike interview.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sort of just inventing this on the fly without much deep thought, but I'd say a game would have to be contractually agreed upon. A situation like a potential ACC / Big-10 challenge game two years from now wouldn't count, but a game already scheduled for next season would (only really applies to guys who don't have to sit a year). I don't know how early the fields for pre-season tournaments are set, but that is something that could come into play. A yearly matchup game would count, so Kentucky could block a transfer to UNC and vice versa, in your example.

I'd say if there is a direct and definite competitive disadvantage that the team would face by allowing their player to transfer to a school, then you can block it. Otherwise, everywhere should be fair game.

Glad to see Wisconsin and Ryan ultimately did the right thing.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Grantland: Bo Ryan, Duke's Terrible Month, and UCLA's Resurrection
http://www.grantland...la-resurrection

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

What's up with Dawkins, SG?

I heard that he's having difficulty dealing with the death of his sister? It appears that they might redshirt him so he can get his head straight. (Don't mean to be disrespectful there.)

I guess it's just uncommon to have someone redshirt in the middle of their college career, unless its an injury.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

CBS Sports: Roscoe Smith (Baltimore) latest to leave UConn
http://www.cbssports...-to-leave-uconn

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

What's up with Dawkins, SG?

I heard that he's having difficulty dealing with the death of his sister? It appears that they might redshirt him so he can get his head straight. (Don't mean to be disrespectful there.)

I guess it's just uncommon to have someone redshirt in the middle of their college career, unless its an injury.

Yea, that seems to be the rumor.

Perhaps this is why he remains the softest player in Duke's recent history? He maybe can't get over his sister's tragic death.

Its a shame too..Kid has a lot of ability, more athletic than some think and a great shooter but still, he isn't mentally in games a lot of the time.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Coach K getting praised for how he handled the Gbinijie transfer:

http://blog.syracuse... ... _duke.html

Bo Ryan looks even worse now.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Coach K getting praised for how he handled the Gbinijie transfer:

http://blog.syracuse... ... _duke.html

Bo Ryan looks even worse now.

Agreed, that's going above-and-beyond by K considering Syracuse is going to be in the ACC real soon.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Also, (because I feel dirty now) Duke sucks!

:D

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Also, (because I feel dirty now) Duke sucks!

:D

When I saw that you had commented in this thread, I knew something like this was going to be said. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=