HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

O'Bannon wins.

http://espn.go.com/c...-antitrust-case

A federal judge ruled that the NCAA can't stop players from selling the rights to their names, images and likenesses, striking down NCAA regulations that prohibit players from getting anything other than scholarships and the cost of attendance at schools.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken, in a 99-page decision that followed a contentious three-week trial in June, ruled in favor of former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon and 19 others who sued the NCAA, claiming it violated antitrust laws by conspiring with the schools and conferences to block the athletes from getting a share of the revenues generated from the use of their images in broadcasts and video games. The injunction she issued allows players at big schools to have money generated by television contracts put into a trust fund to pay them when they leave.

It's not a total rout, with limitations and caps allowed to the NCAA. But this is pretty much the worst-case scenario for the NCAA.

@DJ_McCann

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

Great news.

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Huge news. This is a game changer.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

The question is, how will they regulate it?

#65 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

So I guess now the question(s) are whether or not the individual schools will choose to maintain the status quo (pending the recently granted autonomy to the Big 5 conferences), whether doing so could potentially constitute collusion, and whether or not the schools really have enough incentive to want to pay the athletes.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Grantland: The NCAA is a wreck now

http://grantland.com...ations-lawsuit/

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Sports on Earth: Nothing and everything has changed

http://www.sportsone...nothing#!bB7WDN

#68 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

http://www.umterps.c...TCLID=209611616

So it begins...

Lifetime guarantee for scholarships from UMD.

#69 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

Emmert said if schools want to set what an athlete can make on autographs, they should discuss it, NCAA will help enforce.

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

College QB Forced To Sue T-Shirt Company To Retain Eligibility

Basically, Mississippi State's QB was forced, under the NCAA's bylaws, to sue this t-shirt company for using his likeness (whether or not he approved himself) or risk losing his eligibility.

And if you check the comments, the obvious question is answered.

@DJ_McCann

#71 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Cost-of-attendance, multi-year scholarships approved

Among the initiatives that were approved were schools being required to make up the difference for the full cost of attendance that an athletic scholarship doesn't cover as well as four-year guaranteed scholarship (with some stipulations).

@DJ_McCann

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

Who wants to guess who the ACC school was that voted against?

#73 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

Estimated Cost of Attendance $63,530

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#74 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

I give up.  Who?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

I give up.  Who?

What Pedro said.

Honestly though, I don't know. But I'd lay big time money on one of the private schools, who will have to shell out the most money under the new rule (not that I have any problem with that, as the cost of attending college in general these days is beyond absurd).

#76 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

What Pedro said.

Honestly though, I don't know. But I'd lay big time money on one of the private schools, who will have to shell out the most money under the new rule (not that I have any problem with that, as the cost of attending college in general these days is beyond absurd).

Well, it's not like they actually lay out that money.  If somebody fills out financial aid applications, then the out-of-pocket cost of Harvard ends up being the same as the cost of Anytown State College, based on the kid's family's finances... although the normal student does get nailed with way more student loans, and that clearly does matter big time for normal students.  But with scholarship jocks it, I'm not sure how much it matters, since the jock scholarship always pays for the crazy tuition anyway.  I bet the costs beyond tuition and R&B are about the same... other than those 2 things, what's gonna be more expensive at a private school than at a state school?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Well, it's not like they actually lay out that money.  If somebody fills out financial aid applications, then the out-of-pocket cost of Harvard ends up being the same as the cost of Anytown State College, based on the kid's family's finances... although the normal student does get nailed with way more student loans, and that clearly does matter big time for normal students.  But with scholarship jocks it, I'm not sure how much it matters, since the jock scholarship always pays for the crazy tuition anyway.  I bet the costs beyond tuition and R&B are about the same... other than those 2 things, what's gonna be more expensive at a private school than at a state school?

Its still a higher overall outlay for the private school.

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Its still a higher overall outlay for the private school.

But the scholarship covers the expensive part anyway... the increase is the same pocket change for everybody...

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

But the scholarship covers the expensive part anyway... the increase is the same pocket change for everybody...

Because the private schools, at least in many cases, already tend to have smaller alumni/donor bases to draw upon to fund athletic scholarships. If that is the case, it would seem to make sense that adding more costs onto an amount that is already greater than a public school is going to be even tougher still on them.

#80 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Because the private schools, at least in many cases, already tend to have smaller alumni/donor bases to draw upon to fund athletic scholarships. If that is the case, it would seem to make sense that adding more costs onto an amount that is already greater than a public school is going to be even tougher still on them.

Maybe on average, but Duke is rich, they don't have to worry about it... of the private ACC schools Wake is way less rich than Duke... compared to Duke, it would be more of a worry for a state school that is not treated favorably by its state legislature... one that's 2nd fiddle in its own state... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=