107 replies to this topic

#101 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

This situation and how screwed up the NCAA is altogether is part of why I can't get into college sports like I used to.

Oh stop.

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

It's screwed up. That makes me less inclined to support it. What's the problem with that?

#103 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

Nothing. Good for you.

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

It's screwed up. That makes me less inclined to support it. What's the problem with that?

It's hard to blame you. I'm conflicted about it.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about the NFL?

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

The problem isn't that the QB can make money signing autographs while the LG can't because his signature has no value. The problem is when neither can get three meals a day at school, and don't have the money (because they aren't allowed to earn it) to go buy their own food. That's just one example of what's wrong, and that particular issue seems to be changing at many schools now, but they still have a ways to go IMO.

I'm pretty sure players are allowed to have jobs, there is just a limit on how much they can make.  Though of course, there isn't really time for them to work during their seasons, that's a fair critique.

Also, athletic scholarships come with a meal plan.  Athletes should get more of a stipend than a typical student, since they naturally have to eat more, but I'd be surprised if that isn't the case anyways.

I doubt any story where an athlete on scholarship says they don't have enough money to eat.  Shabazz Napier was full of shit last year.  I believe that perhaps he didn't have any cash to order carry out, but if he had a "hungry night" it was only because he forgot to go the the campus diner before it closed.

• DuffMan likes this

#106 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Also, athletic scholarships come with a meal plan.  Athletes should get more of a stipend than a typical student, since they naturally have to eat more, but I'd be surprised if that isn't the case anyways.

"The NCAA’s Board of Directors approved a rule change Thursday (roughly 4/24/14)  allowing Division I athletes to receive unlimited meals and snacks. The new guidelines go beyond the previous policy that limited scholarship athletes to three meals per day or a stipend for food.

Granting unlimited meals not only applies to those who are on scholarship, but also to walk-on athletes who did not previously receive a food allotment.The rules will take effect Aug. 1."

http://www.dailycal....t-cal-athletes/

#107 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

It's hard to blame you. I'm conflicted about it.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about the NFL?

Yes to an extent, but I don't feel it's as exploitive since at least the players are getting paid quite well.

The violence in the game, especially regarding head injuries are a big concern to me, which makes college football worse than the NFL in my view because they have those same risks (fewer games though) and aren't even being compensated for it beyond the scholarship.

#108 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

CNN Money: College athletes finally getting some cash

http://money.cnn.com...thletes400story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=