#41 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

How you pronounce that word will tell you if you're a plumber or an electrical engineer.

[/bad joke]

Heh. Took me a second.

@DJ_McCann

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

The NCAA Should Pray That Players Are Able To Form A Union

@DJ_McCann

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

CBS Sports: Possible unionization a game-changer for college athletics
http://www.cbssports...llege-athletics

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

CBS Sports: Jadeveon Clowney 'probably' would've stayed at SC if paid

http://www.cbssports...-if-he-was-paid

Yes. Having to take care of my family, it would have made a difference if I'd have gotten paid," Clowney told Jim Rome. "If I would have had the chance to take care of my family through college I would have probably stayed in college."

I find this hard to believe that he would comeback if he got paid. He's a top pick.

Unsurprisingly, Clowney also believes that college athletes should be paid and told Rome as much.

"I think so," Clowney said. "They are selling our jerseys with our numbers and making money off of ticket sales so I think college athletes should get paid."

There's a long way to go before that becomes a "thing" and it won't ever matter to Clowney, but he certainly has a good case for wanting to receive some compensation for generating so much money for his school.

@levineps

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

http://regressing.de...0190/@tcraggs22

So Barta already knows enough about compensating athletes to pay a football player, on average, about three times as much as a wrestler, despite the relatively higher performance of Iowa wrestling than Iowa football. (I suspect this has a lot to do with the way the NCAA rules cap compensation for both sports, and also the lack of competition Iowa faces—comparatively speaking—in recruiting wrestlers vs. football players.) He can even make similar valuations within a sport. For instance, he drops $27,093 apiece on 88 scholarship football players while giving nothing at all to 21 walk-ons.

Anyway, Gary Barta says figuring that out is too hard for him to do in exchange for a mere $456,992 in salary and $140,000 in bonuses. I know that if I ran a major state university and one of my department heads told me he was not smart enough to figure out how to pay the people who generated his department's revenue, I'd probably see whether my $456,992 could maybe find a different person who could.

@DJ_McCann

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

@darrenrovell Northwestern is truly one of the worst places to be a test case for athletes to argue that they are employees.

@levineps

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

It's going to trial.

http://collegefootba...ll-go-to-trial/

@DJ_McCann

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Pat Fitzgerald testifies against union (ESPN)

Fitzgerald, a former star for Northwestern, said his program is about far more than football.

"We want (players) to be the best they can be ... athletically, academically, socially ... to be a champion in life," he said. He tells players, he said, that academics "is their priority."

Colter also said he couldn't recall an instance where a coach ever told a player to leave practice and go study, but Fitzgerald said it does happen. He said there have even been instances when players who needed more study time were allowed to skip a game.

@levineps

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

This Is How You Kill The NCAA

Instead of seeking compensation, the suit would simply ask the court to rule that the NCAA's caps on student-athlete compensation violate anti-trust laws. It would ask the court to call NCAA "amateurism" by its proper name: price-fixing.

Let's say our imaginary plaintiff wins. Just like that, it would become illegal for schools to collude to restrict athletes' pay, capping it at the value of college tuition. Instead, big sports schools would have to pay whatever the market would bear for current and future college athletes. With that precedent set, lawyers would be tripping over one another to sue for damages on behalf of recent graduates. The NCAA would soon be reduced to a heap of smoking rubble, and the only question we'd be asking ourselves is: How did it remain intact for so long?

@DJ_McCann

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

ESPNNorthwestern players win bid to unionize

Northwestern Wildcats football players and the College Athletes Players Association on Wednesday won their petition through the National Labor Relations Board to form a union and bargain for benefits.

As a result, Northwestern players will hold a vote on whether to unionize, a decision that will clearly impact college football and college sports generally. Northwestern said in a statement that it will appeal the decision.

@levineps

#51 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Even though it's just private schools, this is still a big deal.

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Unionize The U

Miami’s roots are in rebelliousness. It is a program defined by its disregard for NCAA rules, and approval of the NCAA has never been lower. So the other day, the Miami Herald asked several current Hurricanes how they might feel about forming a players’ union. And one of them, tight end Clive Walford, said it was a smart idea; he then said something that even Northwestern’s Kain Colter is hesitant to advocate for.

He said, “Getting paid would be everyone’s desire.”

So here’s what I’m asking you to do: Let your football team form a union. Become the social experiment college football is going to have to undergo anyway. If it’s going to happen somewhere, why shouldn’t it be at Miami?

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Yahoo SportsNCAA still refusing to see big picture; all college sports are not equal

@levineps

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Silver: NBA may look to help NCAA athletes

NBA commissioner Adam Silver is so intent on keeping basketball players in college for another year that he said the NBA might consider subsidizing athletes to make them feel better about staying.

Silver said he could envision the league potentially contributing to make up the actual cost of attendance gap above what the players get for their scholarships and getting involved in a more complete insurance plan, which could include total disability insurance should an athlete return to school and injure himself so badly he could never play again. Currently, the NCAA provides only a preferred loan rate to elite athletes whom it deems to be potential high draft picks.

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

ESPNAdrian Peterson backs pay for play

"Johnny Manziel made Texas A&M so much money," he said. "When I was at Oklahoma, they made so much money."

Peterson also spoke out against NBA commissioner Adam Silver's comments that basketball players should stay in school for two years.

"They're trying to make basketball players go two years in college. Wow. I wonder why?" Peterson said. "Think about it -- just imagine if LeBron James had been in college for two years. How much money would that college have made off LeBron James? They would have made so much money off LeBron James. It's about the freedom to do as you want and make your own decisions."

@levineps

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

ESPNTrevor Siemian opposes union

"I'm treated far better than I deserve here," Siemian said. "Introducing a third party or somebody else, especially when our main goals when this began ... there were issues with the NCAA that we thought we could address, and [unionizing] was one of the ways to do it. Nothing had been exhausted from within the school. Myself included, nobody ever addressed Fitz or Dr. Phillips about these issues.

"Two of these guys that all of us have come here and trusted so much -- I've known Coach Fitz five or six years now -- to say I don't trust you enough to help us out addressing these changes isn't the right way to go."

@levineps

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

The Map The NCAA Got Thrown Out At Trial

770867355014773906.jpg

Why the plaintiffs' lawyers submitted the map rather than the data behind it, we have no idea. (Virality!) We're also not personally offended—the NCAA just appears to be challenging anything that makes it look bad, like "publicly available financial data" and "reported facts" and other such nonsense.

@DJ_McCann

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

ESPNJim Delany takes stand at trial

"There wouldn't be a Rose Bowl if either they or we were operating in a very different wavelength in terms of paying players," Delany said.

Anyone want to bring him up on perjury charges?

@levineps

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

ESPNJim Delany takes stand at trial

Anyone want to bring him up on perjury charges?

Not sure if you were serious or not, but hyperbole doesn't necessarily mean perjury.

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Grantland: Dispatches From the NCAA’s Deathbed....the Ed O’Bannon trial is not going well for the titans of college sports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=