107 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Maybe on average, but Duke is rich, they don't have to worry about it... of the private ACC schools Wake is way less rich than Duke... compared to Duke, it would be more of a worry for a state school that is not treated favorably by its state legislature... one that's 2nd fiddle in its own state... 

Then perhaps it was Wake that voted no. I never had the answer, was just wondering if anyone wanted to take a guess. I wouldn't rule out BC or Miami either. Never got the impression their athletic departments were flush with cash.

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

Coach questions grad transfer rule

This is so irritating to me. Especially this dandy of a comment he makes.

"We're Division I like the other level," Ash said in a telephone interview. "Our guys need to start and finish at the same school. We cannot be perceived as a farm system or Triple-A ballclub or anything like that."

If there was ever a more blatant assertion that student-athletes are viewed as little more than modern-day indentured servants, than that sentence is it. Of course it goes without saying that if this hypocritical jackass got a better offer from a school that wasn't at the "farm system or Triple-A" level, there would be a trail of dust from his office to said school. 

If I ever have a billion dollars, one of the things I'd use it for is to fund an antitrust lawsuit for student-athletes against the NCAA. And certainly I'd make sure that this dumbass gets subpoenaed at trial to answer for that statement.

• RShack likes this

#83 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:25 AM

I agree with your basic point... but to be fair about it, this guy works at Montana State (of all places) where he doesn't get the benefit of being on the Money Train... he's probably been dreaming forever of getting an Actual Talent in his program... and when he finally does, that guy picks up and leaves for a big-time school... so, while I don't agree with him, I can understand why he's frustrated to the point of having a fit about it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#84 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:50 AM

I agree with your basic point... but to be fair about it, this guy works at Montana State (of all places) where he doesn't get the benefit of being on the Money Train... he's probably been dreaming forever of getting an Actual Talent in his program... and when he finally does, that guy picks up and leaves for a big-time school... so, while I don't agree with him, I can understand why he's frustrated to the point of having a fit about it...

I can understand that sentiment, but as the "adult" in this equation, you'd think he'd have a better perspective when it comes to his public comments.

#85 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

The grad transfer rule is a total joke, basically just abused as free agency, but yeah this guy is a total hypocrite. I'm pretty sure he has no problem accepting an FBS transfer to his school and not having to sit out a year.

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

I heard today they are raising the HS GPA minimum to 2.3 in order to be eligible to play in the NCAA.

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

Site allows for athlete donations

There might be another way to keep your favorite college players in school: Pay them to stay.

New crowdfunding site FanAngel will allow fans, among other things, to pay college athletes to stay in school through donations that are given to the athlete when his or her eligibility expires.

#88 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

John Oliver smacks one out of the park. It's long, but worth it....the last couple minutes are priceless.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#89 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

I don't think college athletes should get a salary to play. I do think they should get a cut when their likeness is used.

#90 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

That is awesome. Oliver killed it there.

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

I don't think college athletes should get a salary to play. I do think they should get a cut when their likeness is used.

Agree.  Don't pay them to come to your school and play.  But if their face or signature or jersey or endorsement is worth money, they get a cut of that.

• Chris B likes this

#92 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

If the NCAA was made up of intelligent people with the best interests of the sport in mind, they would be working hard for an arrangement based around the latter, which would be far cheaper and less complicated than the former. Unfortunately, by fighting the currents of history as they are, they likely will end up dealing with both.

@DJ_McCann

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

It's the 98.4% of NCAA Football and Basketball athletes who never make it pro who need some compensation. Those aren't the types having endorsements and such. Not that those guys shouldn't get more for their endorsements, they absolutely should get a cut. But the majority of the amateur athletes who are helping these administrators and coaches make millions and receiving nothing is an absolute sham.

#94 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

I don't think Oliver's overall point was that the athletes should be paid salaries. It was simply that revenue college sports are highly exploitative and run by a bunch of hypocrites....and he's 100% spot-on. And agree with DJ....by continuously fighting the issue without willingly giving an inch, the NCAA may well end up taking the scorched earth route, when they probably could have settled it with a couple relatively easy concessions towards the athletes.

#95 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Agree.  Don't pay them to come to your school and play.  But if their face or signature or jersey or endorsement is worth money, they get a cut of that.

And frankly, as a fan, I'd rather have a #44 WELLS jersey available in the store rather than a #44 even if it meant it was a little bit more.

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

It's the 98.4% of NCAA Football and Basketball athletes who never make it pro who need some compensation. Those aren't the types having endorsements and such. Not that those guys shouldn't get more for their endorsements, they absolutely should get a cut. But the majority of the amateur athletes who are helping these administrators and coaches make millions and receiving nothing is an absolute sham.

Eh, I think the stars drive most of the money.  I don't mind if the left guard doesn't get the money that the QB does for appearing at a car dealership to sign autographs..  Or if Varun Ram isn't getting what Melo Trimble gets for jersey sales.  Capitalism, baby!

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,480 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Eh, I think the stars drive most of the money.  I don't mind if the left guard doesn't get the money that the QB does for appearing at a car dealership to sign autographs..  Or if Varun Ram isn't getting what Melo Trimble gets for jersey sales.  Capitalism, baby!

I'm not arguing otherwise.

#98 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

The Oliver bit was great. It's still weird to me that the college band members can be paid, but not the players, even though it seems that stipends are becoming more of a thing with college sports.

#99 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

This situation and how screwed up the NCAA is altogether is part of why I can't get into college sports like I used to.

#100 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

The problem isn't that the QB can make money signing autographs while the LG can't because his signature has no value. The problem is when neither can get three meals a day at school, and don't have the money (because they aren't allowed to earn it) to go buy their own food. That's just one example of what's wrong, and that particular issue seems to be changing at many schools now, but they still have a ways to go IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=