HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

387 BABIP

26.4 HR/FB%

His LD% is pretty low but he is hitting a lot of grounders, which helps explain the high rates there.

I am still not ready to buy into him as an everyday player...that will come with more experience, adjustments, etc...but he has to be in the lineup everyday right now, that's for sure.  

#82 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

The approach is terrific. He drives so many fastballs to RF and is turning on the offspeed stuff. Absolutely ideal and impressive. Most of the other players on the team should be taking notes

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

The approach is terrific. He drives so many fastballs to RF and is turning on the offspeed stuff. Absolutely ideal and impressive. Most of the other players on the team should be taking notes

Yep..just have to see if he keeps it up.  

The lack of walks kind of suck.  This isn't new for him, so hopefully he can sustain a pretty good average and give us a good enough OBP to go with some power.

#84 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I don't know if he's gonna be a huge OBP but he has a pretty good eye. I think he can be a league avg walk guy. Maybe slightly below.

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

I don't know if he's gonna be a huge OBP but he has a pretty good eye. I think he can be a league avg walk guy. Maybe slightly below.

I would be happy with a 6-7% walk rate.  That should give him 40ish walks a year.

If he can do that and hit 280+ and show good power, that is fine.

#86 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

I would be happy with a 6-7% walk rate. That should give him 40ish walks a year.

If he can do that and hit 280+ and show good power, that is fine.

He's at 6.2% this year. Even if he's a .265/.305 guy I still think he will slug .500

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

He's at 6.2 this year.

Yep...its not ideal but if he can sustain at least that, he will be good enough in that category.   The problem becomes if he ends up more of a 250 hitter than a 280+ hitter.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

I don't know how many walks he'll actually draw, but I have no concerns with his approach.  He frequently works himself into good counts, and lays off of tough pitches when he is ahead.  I think he looks to swing a lot more than draw walks, but as long as that manifests as him attacking hittable pitches when he works himself into good counts, which I think it has so far this season, then that can actually be better than letting those go by and perhaps drawing additional walks.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

3 hits, including 2 homers last night...

Season: 100 games, .296 baa, 20 homers, 60 rbi, 19 doubles, 23 bb's, 95 k's, .873 OPS

The homer to left was crushed... the one to right impressed because of the approach... (and the fact that he was strong enough to get it out without getting all of it). 

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

3 hits, including 2 homers last night...

Season: 100 games, .296 baa, 20 homers, 60 rbi, 19 doubles, 23 bb's, 95 k's, .873 OPS

The homer to left was crushed... the one to right impressed because of the approach... (and the fact that he was strong enough to get it out without getting all of it). 

Did not see the first part of the game, so I missed the first home run, but the back to backs with Trey and then Trumbo, went a long way.

I really like Mancini's bat speed and swing.  He should be a consistent producer in the years coming.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#91 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

I don't know where he ends up playing.

I don't know where in the lineup he ends up hitting.

But one thing I do know.  Guys an everyday starter!

• Mike B likes this

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

I don't know where he ends up playing.

I don't know where in the lineup he ends up hitting.

But one thing I do know.  Guys an everyday starter!

I actually like him better in the outfield.  He is a work in progress there, but I think he could develop into being a better than average corner outfielder.  For a guy who had never played there, he has held his own.

Definitely an everyday player IMO.

@mikeghg

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

MASN: What is the ceiling for Trey Mancini?
http://www.masnsport...ey-mancini.html

#94 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

What he did in 2017.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#95 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

What he did in 2017.

I am not sure that is his ceiling but its probably close to it. However, we need to remember that once he moved up to 5th he had zero hitting behind him in Trumbo and/or Davis. So there is some protection he could have gotten and that gives him some potential for a bit better numbers. 

#96 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

2017 obviously isn't the ceiling. And Shields wants to get on me for underestimating potential. Now, I do think Treys 2017 season may very well be above what you'd normally expect for him but his ceiling isn't 24 Hrs and an .826 OPS. I think his peak is likely the high .800s with 30+ bombs.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

I thought he'd be productive, but he far exceeded my expectations.  He had a .826 OPS in the bigs here in '17, after a .775 OPS at Norfolk in '16.

He turns 26 next March...  it's quite possible he has some additional ceiling.

#98 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

I mean they say it takes what 1500 ML PAs or something in the big leagues to get comfortable. He's only got 600. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Treys average season was lower than this by OPS standards but I also don't understand how you can say his 24 bombs and .826 OPS rookie season is his ceiling.

#99 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

I think he can have a higher WAR with improved defense but I would be surprised to see him be more than a 825 OPs guy hitting around 300, with 50+ xbh.

#100 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

I mean they say it takes what 1500 ML PAs or something in the big leagues to get comfortable. He's only got 600. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Treys average season was lower than this by OPS standards but I also don't understand how you can say his 24 bombs and .826 OPS rookie season is his ceiling.

Because I think his talent level only takes him so far. Because it’s not like he is 22 or something. He is right in the prime ages of a career, historically speaking.

If he hits 32 homers next year but he has an OPS of 800, does that mean he reached a higher ceiling? What numbers do you think he can produce?

Will he sustain a 352 BaBiP? His walk rate wasn’t good and it wasn’t that great in the minors, so I don’t see that improving either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=