#61 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

I think they need to give the kid a shot out there.  Guys have learned to play the outfield on the fly and gotten pretty good at it.  BJ Surhoff comes to mind. 

His swing is really quick and sound......the Buck hates Kim crowd, will not be happy, but Mancini's bat may be a difference maker.

There is only one way to find out if it is a mirage  or not.

@mikeghg

#62 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

I think they need to give the kid a shot out there.  Guys have learned to play the outfield on the fly and gotten pretty good at it.  BJ Surhoff comes to mind. 

His swing is really quick and sound......the Buck hates Kim crowd, will not be happy, but Mancini's bat may be a difference maker.

Surhoff was a C and a 3B before being an OF. Thats moving down the defensive spectrum. Mancini is trying to fight up it from 1B. Surhoff also had OF time before Baltimore. 

I'm fine with giving him extended time to see though. 

#63 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

....is the answer trade him to the Pirates? :)

#64 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

OK, another 2 homers today.... both of them very, very stout... one to the LF 2nd deck... the other one way, way over the fence in dead-Center...

I want someone to explain to me how Mancini is not special....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

OK, another 2 homers today.... both of them very, very stout... one to the LF 2nd deck... the other one way, way over the fence in dead-Center...

I want someone to explain to me how Mancini is not special....

Given his MiL track record, I'm not ready to call him special.

Based on everything we're seeing right now, I'm excited he's part of the roster.  I want Buck to continue to use him as he is.

I went into the off-season hoping Pearce would be back, then getting to a point where I was comfortable with Mancini effectively replacing him... what I liked best about Pearce over Mancini was Pearce's versatility... and while Steve can still play more positions, Mancini showing to be a capable OF is huge. He's a better athlete than I thought, and he has a good arm.

I still look at Mancini as a guy with Pearce esque offensive upside, but who knows... ? He's younger, and talked about the adjustments he made under Brady...  the ball is jumping off the bat... and the best thing is he's cheap for the foreseeable future.  Pretty exciting.

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Special?

How are you defining special?

I would say he has a chance to be an everyday ML player but we need to see way more of him to determine that.

So again, it goes back to how lenient your definition of special is.

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Was Nolan Reimold special? He had some good weeks for us when healthy. I like Mancini though. But I don't see "special" there, other than the obligatory, it's friggin' insane that these guys can hit 95 MPH fastballs with movement.

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Manny and Gentry hit homers with his bats too!

http://www.espn.com/...-2-other-homers

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Was Nolan Reimold special? He had some good weeks for us when healthy. I like Mancini though. But I don't see "special" there, other than the obligatory, it's friggin' insane that these guys can hit 95 MPH fastballs with movement.

Right...I'm hoping special is meant relative to the fact that these guys all have amazing talent.

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

Yes, I think Nolan had the potential to be special... but we'll never know.  But I don't think he ever hit like Mancini has early on...

Of course, we'll see how the back-and-forth of adjustments go... but I'm really, really looking forward to it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#71 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

Reimold could only dream off hitting 7 HRs over a 12 game stretch. Mancini has more offensive upside.

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Reimold could only dream off hitting 7 HRs over a 12 game stretch. Mancini has more offensive upside.
My point wasn't really to directly compare the two, I just don't see an overall difference. Like Shack, I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold. Seems like a likable guy.

#73 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

Manny and Gentry hit homers with his bats too!

http://www.espn.com/...-2-other-homers

Buck says he's never seen anything like that, ever...  2 minutes into the video:  http://www.masnsport...w_id=3341199&p=

And he ends with, "now we try to get to Cincinnati... and figure out the NL rules... they're pretty complicated, right?"   :wink:

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

In April of 2012, Reimold played 16 games.  He had 5 homers, 6 doubles a slash line of 313/333/627/960.  He had 21 hits and drove in 10 runs.

He had a similar stretch but with a 395 OBP in Sept 2011.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and B00E00N00 like this

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

#MacGIF

#76 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

#MacGIF

We all know Rob has reading compression issues. I said 7 HRs in 12 games. Prove that wrong and you can pick out any SGIF you want. The part about having more offensive upside is my opinion. Which is essentially a fact but on occasion my opinions are wrong

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

We all know Rob has reading compression issues. I said 7 HRs in 12 games. Prove that wrong and you can pick out any SGIF you want. The part about having more offensive upside is my opinion. Which is essentially a fact but on occasion my opinions are wrong

Lol...it was showing that Reimold has had similar stretches of hitting at a high level. We all know that understanding simple logic is something you struggle with but I would assume people got the point.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

Mancini's got a good enough pedigree to be given a larger opportunity as he keeps producing.  He didn't knock the door down with his AAA numbers to a point where he really forced his way into a role, but he did well enough.  There are definitely things to like in his AA and AAA stats.  He's having solid at bats way more often than not, and not just in the at bats where he runs into a meatball and hits it out.  He doesn't chase too much and he aggressively attacks pitches in the zone.

The absolute flood of HRs that he's hit in his two brief MLB stints isn't sustainable long term, but I do think he's got a very good chance of hitting well enough to justify 1B or DH.  And definitely either corner OF spot if he can improve enough out there to last.  He hasn't looked like a natural out there but he looks good enough where I think it's possible he could end up sticking with enough work.

The last two guys to hit 7 HR in their first 12 games...

#79 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

Looks like be's being eatin' up pretty regularly on changeups of late. Probably not going to see changeups that good in the minors, so I'm fine with him staying up for now. 

#80 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Mancini has a .954 OPS. He's a few games away from qualifying for the batting title. That .954 OPS would be good for 5th in the AL today. Not far away from the Top 2. Only Judge at 1.135 is way ahead of him. Alonso is #2 at .974

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=