• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#41 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

Of note last night in the O's farm system was Trey Mancini's performance, as he hit his first Triple-A homer. He went 2-for-5 with a double, raising his Triple-A slash line to .250/.362/.425.

Given that those numbers have come over 11 games, it's an extremely small sample size. I just have to wonder what the Orioles will do if Mancini performs well at Norfolk, specifically whether he gets a promotion down the stretch or is traded. I think there might be room in the majors for him later this year, particularly if Pedro Alvarez continues to struggle. 

#42 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

My question is essentially what type of prospect is he? Is he legit and if so what is his ceiling of comp?

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

Of note last night in the O's farm system was Trey Mancini's performance, as he hit his first Triple-A homer. He went 2-for-5 with a double, raising his Triple-A slash line to .250/.362/.425.

Given that those numbers have come over 11 games, it's an extremely small sample size. I just have to wonder what the Orioles will do if Mancini performs well at Norfolk, specifically whether he gets a promotion down the stretch or is traded. I think there might be room in the majors for him later this year, particularly if Pedro Alvarez continues to struggle. 

Big reason why Alvarez only has about a month to get going.

#44 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

My question is essentially what type of prospect is he? Is he legit and if so what is his ceiling of comp?

I like Mancini when it comes to hitting for average and getting on-base. The one question that's been in the minds of many is whether his power will translate to the majors. He's seen an uptick in power over the past year, but that might not be a great indicator over the long run.

When you consider that he's a first baseman, it makes Mancini a little harder to project. I still see him in the majors at some point, and best-case scenario the power could continue to develop as it has.

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

Same boat as Walker really. As a 1B only, you've got to have one HECK of a bat to stick. A lot of guys like this end up as tweeners, where you either want to move another high level bat to 1B to cover for the defense, or you have a LEGIT power bat to stash there already and these guys get moved to the OF, or sometimes as a DH. It's pretty rare to see a young guy get spotted as a DH and stick there though, either they change positions, or get bounced out of the league for a more veteran bat that needs hidden from the field.

I'd like to see more teams play these guys for the average and OBP and find more power in other positions, unfortunately you just don't see it happen often because of the number of one dimensional guys that have elite bats and can't catch a cold.

@JeremyMStrain

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

I wonder if his bat being slightly better than Nolan Reimold is the right comp for Mancini.  Better average and a bit better isolated power but a bit lower ability to draw walks.

Both are listed at 6'4", Nolan at 205 lb and Mancini at 215.  As a 23-24 y/o at Bowie in 2007-2008, Nolan had roughly a 290/366/517/883 slash line in 789 PA.  As a 23-24 in Bowie, Mancini has had a 350/399/604/1003 slash line in 429 PA.

It's a completely meaninglessly small sample (though certainly meaningful enough to give me some strong confirmation bias for this comparison), but Mancini's slash line during his first couple weeks in Norfolk (278/361/444/805) looks very Nolan-esque with just a tiny bit more power and tiny bit fewer walks.  For his career at AAA (which is exclusively at older ages than Mancini is now), Nolan has slashed 274/375/431/806.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Ive been fooled before by AA performances. Granted, by older players like Urruita and Alvarez. I don't have a feeling about Mancini one way or the other right now.  

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

A lot of Ks but otherwise, a solid season for him.

http://www.milb.com/...itting/2016/ALL

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

A lot of Ks but otherwise, a solid season for him.

http://www.milb.com/...itting/2016/ALL

He both walked and struck out a lot more this year than he had in previous stops.

K rate isn't alarming even at this year's higher rate, and the walk rate is now solid.

Don't think he's a guy you hand a job, but he's worth a look in ST if nothing falls in our lap at DH this offseason.

#50 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

Three HRs in his first four games. 

Do we upgrade him to the ML player section?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

No home run today. What the hell dude?

@BSLMikeRandall

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

MASN: More on Mancini and the possibility of playing the outfield
http://www.masnsport...e-outfield.html

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

https://twitter.com/...311653991493632

@masnSteve 2h2 hours ago

Trey Mancini has now hit 5 homers as an Oriole in 10 games and 29 plate appearances.

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

All 6 of his ML hits are XBH. The other was a double.

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

It may be time to give Mancini and extended run.

He has a quick swing and seems patient at the plate.

Not sure if he can cut it in the OF, but there is only one way to find out.

@mikeghg

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

All 6 of his ML hits are XBH. The other was a double.

Not quite sure what I was looking at. Mancini is 9 for 29 in the majors. 5 HR, 2 doubles, 2 singles. Nice slugging %. That was the point I was attempting to make.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

It may be time to give Mancini and extended run.

He has a quick swing and seems patient at the plate.

Not sure if he can cut it in the OF, but there is only one way to find out.

He definitely has a solid approach at the plate. Impressive for a hitter with 30 ML ABs

#58 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

I really think this guy could be a poor man's JD Martinez ( lower OBP).  His bat is incredibly quick along with his reactions, he's balanced with his head on the ball, and he's aggressive in the zone. 

If this is for real, the O's will have a solid bat for the OF through the early part of his prime years. 

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

I'm surprised how relatively low his minor league walk rate (~6.6%) compared to the way he approaches at bats in the time we've seen him in Baltimore and how patiently he waits for good pitches to hit.

Looking more closely, though, he upped his walk rate to 8.3% in '15-16 once he reached AA and AAA.  Prior to that at A+ and lower it was only 5.2%, so perhaps that's something he's developed.  Kid certainly looks like he belongs at the plate.  If he can work himself into a passable corner OF that'll be huge for us this year and into the future.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

He showed me a relatively decent arm last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=