• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

MiLB.com: Mancini remains hot in Keys' romp, Orioles' No. 23 prospect records third three-hit game this week

http://www.milb.com/...s_milb&sid=milb

#22 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Got called up to Bowie

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

PressBox: Orioles Prospect Trey Mancini Hitting For Power In Bowie

http://www.pressboxo...-power-in-bowie

#24 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Is this guy a legit top 10 prospect at year end? Batting 354 on the year with a 951 ops 15 homers 565 slg..  Not his first time with these numbers either.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

He has been killing it for a long stretch now since being promoted to AA. It's at least interesting even if he isn't suddenly a great prospect.

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

Is this guy a legit top 10 prospect at year end? Batting 354 on the year with a 951 ops 15 homers 565 slg..  Not his first time with these numbers either.

He has been killing it for a long stretch now since being promoted to AA. It's at least interesting even if he isn't suddenly a great prospect.

He's certainly put up numbers to get into the conversation.  RZNJ brought him up in a thread as the starting 1B next year.  I think that's a bit ambitious and you put him in AAA next year and force his way into the lineup (something like Pearce on a 1+1 deal)....but he's 23 at AA and finally mashing so that's good.

I remember reading his profile when he was drafted.

FROM BA: Notre Dame third baseman Eric Jagielo's power will make him a first-round pick, and scouts say his teammate Mancini has even more raw juice. Jagielo is a better prospect because he bats lefthanded, has a better swing and offers more defensive value. Mancini hits from the right side and employs a big uppercut and an all-pull approach, which leads to questions about how much success he'll have against pro pitching. Yet he makes consistent hard contact and has improved his strike-zone discipline this spring, which contributed to a hot streak at the end of April during which he collected 18 hits in 22 at-bats. The team that drafts Mancini is going all-in on his bat. The 6-foot-5, 205-pounder is a marginal athlete with below-average speed, hands and range at first base. 

The questions on guys like Mancini are always if they can find the usable power against better pitching.  Jagielo is putting up good numbers at AA also this year, so it's a storyline to watch.

Honestly, when a guy is putting up those kind of numbers in another organization, it's a guy to target......so the Orioles should (at this point) consider ....either leveraging the hot year or put him into a track to take a job.

#27 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

He had 18 hits in 22 at bats at some point! Wow...

#28 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

He continues to rake and has a walk in every game this week I think.
  • Cisc-O's likes this

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

He's not going to the Arizona Fall League

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

He's not going to the Arizona Fall League

I'm actually ok with that.  

I could live with it either way, but I think (hope?) he's going to AAA next year anyway....so <<shrug>>

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

PressBox: Five Things To Know About Orioles Prospect Trey Mancini

http://www.pressboxo...ct-trey-mancini

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

MASN: Trey Mancini on a career turning point, his power increase and more
http://www.masnsport...e-and-more.html

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

MASN: Trey Mancini on a career turning point, his power increase and more
http://www.masnsport...e-and-more.html

A real turning point for Mancini in his career may have come before he was drafted. It happened in April 2013 when he was still at Notre Dame. Mancini told us that story during an interview on Thursday night on 105.7 The Fan's "Hot Stove Show."

"I was kind of struggling halfway through my junior year," Mancini remembered. "I think I was letting the fact that the draft was coming up (bother me) and I always thought after my junior year I would get drafted high enough to go. Things were not going exactly as planned and I had missed the previous summer in the Cape Cod League. I kind of took that hard, too.

"Then my coach (Mike Aoki) about halfway through the season saw that I was struggling and just not enjoying it. He talked to me and said, 'Look, you can't do this to yourself. You've got to just think about now and playing for the team. And just enjoying being out here because you never know when baseball is going to end.'

"So that is what I did. I just went out every day to be the best teammate I could be, honestly as cliched as that sounds. I just tried to help the team win and all the sudden, things turned around and clicked. My second half was definitely much better than the first half.

"That was a huge turning point in my career. Even when I am struggling now, I look back to that moment. And think about just the kind of struggles I put myself through and that is not the way to go."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

I think we probably see Mancini at some point this year, unless he tanks.

I hope he is not another one of the prospects the Orioles have pushed through the years, to enhance the outlook of their farm systems.

Not a big fan or believer of prospect rankings, but was shocked he was not in the top 100, based on all the organizational noise.

@mikeghg

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

Per Reggie Yinger 2/20
http://baltimorespor...prospect-press/

Mancini made a huge splash in 2015 after hitting 21 home runs between Frederick (A+) and Bowie (AA). After a slow start in 2015, he made a change in his mental approach at the plate and everything clicked. He has a slightly closed stance that has minimal moving parts, which was changed during Spring Training in 2015. Although he showed home run power last season, his overall hit tool projects for more of a line drive, gap-to-gap hitter. He does a nice job using all parts of the field. The swing can get long at times, which will give him troubles against pitchers with higher velocity. Additionally, he’s a “swing early” type, that sometimes results in too aggressive of a swing on bad pitches. In the field, his range and arm will limit him at first base. Speed is limited on the base paths.

Going Forward:
Certainly 2015 was an exciting run for Mancini; however there are several road blocks that may limit Mancini’s growth. With Chris Davis returning for the next few seasons, and Christian Walker already on the 40-man roster, the first base position is a log-jam. Additionally, despite the 20+ home runs in 2015, Mancini doesn’t project as a power hitter, with a lot of the batting average generated from a high batting average on balls in play (BABIP). I’d like to see a more patient approach at the plate, in regards to seeing more pitches. If he continues to hit, the Orioles could try a corner outfield spot for him, but I don’t think it will stick. He should open the season with Norfolk (AAA).

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

PressBox: Orioles Prospect Trey Mancini: 'I'm Definitely Capable Of Playing The Outfield'

https://www.pressbox...ng-the-outfield

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

Not a fan of him being back in Bowie, but glad he's picking up as hot as he left off last year (I especially like the 9 BB so far after only 22 in 350 AA PAs last year).  I think he's one of the few legit prospects we have, he shouldn't be blocked by anyone other than Chris Davis. 

Also, he's not even really blocked.  Walker's been playing OF in Norfolk.  Some 27 y/o journeyman named - I'm not making this up - Joey Terdoslavich has been playing 1B in Norfolk.  Badly, I might add, with a sub-500 OPS so far. 

Mancini needs to be in Norfolk, he's got no business remaining in AA as a 24 y/o.  More of the typical dysfunction of the Orioles development process.

• Dr. FLK likes this

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

Not a fan of him being back in Bowie, but glad he's picking up as hot as he left off last year (I especially like the 9 BB so far after only 22 in 350 AA PAs last year).  I think he's one of the few legit prospects we have, he shouldn't be blocked by anyone other than Chris Davis. 

Also, he's not even really blocked.  Walker's been playing OF in Norfolk.  Some 27 y/o journeyman named - I'm not making this up - Joey Terdoslavich has been playing 1B in Norfolk.  Badly, I might add, with a sub-500 OPS so far. 

Mancini needs to be in Norfolk, he's got no business remaining in AA as a 24 y/o.  More of the typical dysfunction of the Orioles development process.

Pretty much the only thing I got out of Mancini being back at AA, was that the O's wanted to puff up his early numbers... thinking that would help when using him as a trade piece.

Even that seems far fetched as other organizations will just note that he's back at a level he's already had success.

Was discussed some on the first episode of The Verge.

#39 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Trey Mancini promoted to Norfolk after today's game.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Better late than never I suppose. Hope he continues to rake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=