104 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

7/21: 7 ip, 6 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, 2 k's

Nice start, let's see if he can build on that.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

7/27: 6 ip, 8 hits, 2 er, 2 bb's, 4 k's

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

5-9, 5.98 ERA, 114.1 IP, 71 K, 63 BB

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

4/4: 5 ip, 4 hits, 1 er, 2 bb's, 4 k's

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

MASN / Melewski: Bridwell looks for better delivery, better results
http://www.masnsport...ther-notes.html

#26 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Any reports on how he looks physically?  He was the third amigo this offseason with Bundy and Hobgood.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#27 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Any reports on how he looks physically?  He was the third amigo this offseason with Bundy and Hobgood.

Hearing he looks great physically.

I'll be down there this weekend, will have plenty to say after the trip.

• Can_of_corn likes this

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Season: 1-1, 2.30 era, 15.2 ip, 13 hits, 0 hr's, 5 bb's, 14 k's

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Season: 1-2, 4.12 era, 19.2 ip, 18 hits, 7 bb's, 20 k's

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Season: 2-2, 5.11 era, 24.2 ip, 23 hits, 2 hr's, 9 bb's, 27 k's

#31 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Bridwell currently has a 6.29 ERA. Numbers wise, his ERA has increased in each of his professional seasons. He's 21, in his 3rd years of low A ball, and has never really posted anything impressive, aside from one off instances. I know numbers aren't everything, especially in the low minors for pitchers, and a lot of scouts like Bridwell a lot, but at what point do you need to see some results? Is this just a guy that everyone is kind of hoping 'gets it' all of a sudden? 

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

@AdamWolff

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Good post Adam. I'd be curious as to what Tucker or Jeremy might be able to share regarding Bridwell. It is a little discouraging on paper.

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

At the lower levels scouts will "like" someone because they see potential in there. It's more common than not for that potential to go unrealized and the prospect fizzles out at some level, so I wouldn't worry too much about when scouts start giving attention to guys in the lower levels. It's when they hit AA you look for, if they are still rising, and getting good reviews there, it's time to really pay attention.

These days fans think a guy is a prospect if he is a young player on your favorite team. Actual "prospects" are much more far between and while Birdwell was on that level, I don't think he's really progressed enough the last couple years to stay on that level. That's just me though, I liked him ok in that he had some tools to work with and some potential, but I'm not as high on him as others have been. Liked Rodriguez more, like Hader more, I think I even like Kline better.

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff and You Play to Win the Game like this
@JeremyMStrain

#34 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's tough for me to say it, but Jeremy is right.

He hasn't taken the next step. Tons of potential, just hasn't realized any of it. And this happens a lot in baseball. It's why professional caliber pitchers are SO coveted. Even guys like Joe Blanton. That's why they get so much money.

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

So, Bridwell to the pen needs to happen at this point?

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

At the lower levels scouts will "like" someone because they see potential in there. It's more common than not for that potential to go unrealized and the prospect fizzles out at some level, so I wouldn't worry too much about when scouts start giving attention to guys in the lower levels. It's when they hit AA you look for, if they are still rising, and getting good reviews there, it's time to really pay attention.

These days fans think a guy is a prospect if he is a young player on your favorite team. Actual "prospects" are much more far between and while Birdwell was on that level, I don't think he's really progressed enough the last couple years to stay on that level. That's just me though, I liked him ok in that he had some tools to work with and some potential, but I'm not as high on him as others have been. Liked Rodriguez more, like Hader more, I think I even like Kline better.

Well said...it's fun to get excited about a guy in the lower minors but talk to me when they get to the upper minors before talking about them being a real prospect.

#37 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well said...it's fun to get excited about a guy in the lower minors but talk to me when they get to the upper minors before talking about them being a real prospect.

so Josh Hader isn't a real prospect?

I don't understand that logic.

A prospect is someone who has potential.

• BobPhelan likes this

#38 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

It seems like for 3 years in a row now I've been checking the box scores each day waiting for this guy to put it together and it just isn't happening. I know box scores don't tell the whole story but you would think by now he would be putting it together.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I kind of a agree here. My definition of a prospect has always been any player who shows the tools necessary to eventually be in the Majors with progression.

I think Rob's point is generally that outside of those uber-prospects who arrive in an organization with high-pedigree, it's hard to be that excited by anyone before they reach the High A, AA level.

I kind of agree, or at-least identify with that perspective as well. I like keeping an eye on the system, from the lowest levels and watching players progress. See how they handle different levels, handle adversity, handle success. Just hard for me personally to get real invested in guys before they are on the verge of knocking on the Major League door.

Which is another one of the reasons why having you a part of BSL has been great. You are out watching the Minors regularly, and you are following the system far closer than I have or would. You are keeping more names on the periphery for us to watch... I do appreciate that.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Just a semantics thing.  Chris basically answered this with his last post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=