104 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

From our October Q&A with Jim Callis, Baseball America

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The O’s are excited about the arm of 20 year-old RHP Parker Bridwell. Bridwell was hit around pretty well at Delmarva, posting an era over 7 in his five starts. Between Aberdeen, and Frederick he had 71.1 ip, allowing 79 hits, 35 bb’s, with 70 k’s. Your thoughts on him?”

Callis: “Bridwell is one of the more interesting prospects in the system, and he ranked 10th on our NY-P Top 20. He’s very athletic, has a heavy sinker and a hard breaking ball. In time, he could develop into a guy with two plus pitches and an average changeup, maybe become a good No. 3 starter.”

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Pitching for Delmarva last night:

Bridwell went: 5ip, allowing 4 hits, 1 er, 1 bb, with 3 k's.

#3 JonathanMitchell

JonathanMitchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I really like his upside. Needs polish but has potential and frame to be a solid #3 starter.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

4/13: 5ip, 4 hits, 2 er, 1 bb, 4 k's

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

4/19: 4 ip, 9 hits, 6 er, 3 bb's, 1 k

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

4/26: 6 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 2 bb's, 6 k's

Season: 2-0, 4.05 era, 20 ip, 19 hits, 9 er, 0 hr, 7 bb's, 14 k's

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

5/3: 5.2 ip, 7 hits, 3 er, 1 hr, 0 bb's, 4 k's

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

Season: 2-2, 5.19 era, 34.2 ip, 37 hits, 1 hr, 14 bb's, 23 k's

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

5/23: 6 ip, 5 hits, 2 er, 1 hr, 1 bb, 3 k's

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

5/28: 3.2 ip, 3 hits, 2 er, 6 bb's, 3 k's

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

6/3: 3.1 ip, 7 hits, 9 er, 3 hr's, 5 bb's, 2 k's

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

6/3: 3.1 ip, 7 hits, 9 er, 3 hr's, 5 bb's, 2 k's

Better start a couple days ago..

6/10: 5 ip, 3 hits, 2 er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, 2 k's
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@AdamWolff

#13 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Better start a couple days ago..

6/10: 5 ip, 3 hits, 2 er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, 2 k's

Heard from 2 people that he looked very good after the 1st inning HR.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

6/16: 5 ip, 4 hits, 2 er, 1 hr, 5 bb's, 5 k's

#15 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

What is it that everyone likes about Bridwell so much? Serious question. I just have never seen him pitch, but the results seem to always range from mediocre to poor. I know results aren't the only thing in the minors, and in some cases don't even really matter much, especially at the lower levels. So I'm honestly asking, what has so many people goo-goo over Bridwell?

@AdamWolff

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

What is it that everyone likes about Bridwell so much? Serious question. I just have never seen him pitch, but the results seem to always range from mediocre to poor. I know results aren't the only thing in the minors, and in some cases don't even really matter much, especially at the lower levels. So I'm honestly asking, what has so many people goo-goo over Bridwell?

I haven't seen him personally, so I continue to rely on the comments of others.

Luke Jackson had a good interview with Delmarva's Pitching Coach: http://baltimorespor...php?f=13&t=1363

#17 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, he has a perfect pitching frame with regards to projectability at 6-foot-4, 190 pounds. Look at most power arms in the big leagues and they were once 6-foot-3, 180 pounds-ish, grew into their frame and added a few ticks on their fastball. Bridwell was a three-sport star in high school, so you're looking at a perfect pitching frame and quite an athlete. For forecasting velocity and general improvement, you can do a lot worse than that.

I saw Bridwell at his best last summer in Aberdeen, and those kinds of outings tend to stick in your brain. He was consistently pounding the bottom of the strike zone with a power sinker, missing a lot of bats with a sharp slider and showed a developing changeup. Bridwell got nine strikeouts in five innings of work and plenty of groundballs. Obviously Bridwell has not duplicated that kind of performance much in his professional career, but it's in there.

Bridwell started focusing solely on baseball for the first time in his life upon signing his deal in the summer of 2010. So perhaps he's still battling consistency in part because he's still fairly new at this baseball-all-the-time thing, unlike someone such as a Dylan Bundy who's been throwing 94 mph since he was like four years old. I know that Bridwell's had a lot of trouble repeating his delivery this year, which has caused his walk numbers to rise, and cleaning that up is probably task no. 1 for Bridwell in the second half of the season.
  • Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#18 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well, he has a perfect pitching frame with regards to projectability at 6-foot-4, 190 pounds. Look at most power arms in the big leagues and they were once 6-foot-3, 180 pounds-ish, grew into their frame and added a few ticks on their fastball. Bridwell was a three-sport star in high school, so you're looking at a perfect pitching frame and quite an athlete. For forecasting velocity and general improvement, you can do a lot worse than that.

I saw Bridwell at his best last summer in Aberdeen, and those kinds of outings tend to stick in your brain. He was consistently pounding the bottom of the strike zone with a power sinker, missing a lot of bats with a sharp slider and showed a developing changeup. Bridwell got nine strikeouts in five innings of work and plenty of groundballs. Obviously Bridwell has not duplicated that kind of performance much in his professional career, but it's in there.

Bridwell started focusing solely on baseball for the first time in his life upon signing his deal in the summer of 2010. So perhaps he's still battling consistency in part because he's still fairly new at this baseball-all-the-time thing, unlike someone such as a Dylan Bundy who's been throwing 94 mph since he was like four years old. I know that Bridwell's had a lot of trouble repeating his delivery this year, which has caused his walk numbers to rise, and cleaning that up is probably task no. 1 for Bridwell in the second half of the season.

Appreciate the detailed response Luke. Thanks very much!

@AdamWolff

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Also, just an add on for Luke's post, sinker guys will tend to have higher BB rates because the ball will fall out of the zone as you kinda want it to. If guys aren't swinging through it, and leaving the bat on their shoulders you'll see higher BB to K. As he gets it closer to the zone and guys respect that he can throw it for a strike, or he has another pitch they are looking for with 2 strikes you'll see some of those BB turn into Ks.

Think of him as a young Zach Britton. Still has some development to do, but has a LOT of good things going for him at this stage.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Season: 2-7, 6.75 era, 77.1 ip, 85 hits, 12 hr's, 42 bb's, 51 k's

You can like Bridwell's tools, and potential projection; but I think you have to be disappointed by the lack of results in the South Atlantic league. Bridwell turns 21 August 2nd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=