#61 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

I haven't been this excited about a prospect since Wieters, and (going way back) Ben McDonald before them. That's few and far between. Not saying there hasn't been others I've looked forward to seeing, but not like these guys. BTW, Machado isn't far behind.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

ESPN: Phenom making them miss
http://espn.go.com/m...eacutesumeacute

#63 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Lost in that article is the fact that Bundy himself is the one that chose to do his starts the way he's doing them. So after all that crying about how the O's are mishandling him, I hope people finally shut up and respect that he decided which way he wanted to spend his 125 innings.
@JeremyMStrain

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Lost in that article is the fact that Bundy himself is the one that chose to do his starts the way he's doing them. So after all that crying about how the O's are mishandling him, I hope people finally shut up and respect that he decided which way he wanted to spend his 125 innings.

I really enjoyed the article. Very well done.

#65 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

He allowed a walk and a hit tonight...he sucks! :)

Palmer just said Buck was talking bout him not throwing many breaking balls...wouldn't the need for that increase against better competition?

According to the article, they told him to lose his cutter/slider this year and focus on his changeup. He's throwing three pitches: fastball (about 50%), curve (about 25%), and change (about 25%).

The plan is to let him take 4 more starts in Delmarva, then they'll re-evaluate and decide where to promote him.

My biggest concern for him is that he move up the ladder at a pace that gets him to us after the projected Super 2 deadline next season.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#66 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

What would you think of this scenario:

O's stay in contention into September (OK, so I'm hooked. Improbable, yes, but not impossible.)
Bundy throws only about 100-110 innings through the end of August

Do you consider bringing him up as a September callup to help with the stretch run? You have to think that he'd be a great addition to the pen for an inning or two in crucial pennant drive games.

-Walter Sobchak

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

What would you think of this scenario:

O's stay in contention into September (OK, so I'm hooked. Improbable, yes, but not impossible.)
Bundy throws only about 100-110 innings through the end of August

Do you consider bringing him up as a September callup to help with the stretch run? You have to think that he'd be a great addition to the pen for an inning or two in crucial pennant drive games.

I think he'd be overmatched a bit right now. The majors is a bit too ambitious for this season. I could see him staying successful this season, starting next year in the minors and moving to the ML sometime NEXT year, but that's about as aggressive as I would get.
@JeremyMStrain

#68 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

I think he'd be overmatched a bit right now. The majors is a bit too ambitious for this season. I could see him staying successful this season, starting next year in the minors and moving to the ML sometime NEXT year, but that's about as aggressive as I would get.

Even if they move him up to AA in June and he's just as (or nearly as) dominant there for a couple months? The jump from AA to the majors, especially for a pitcher, isn't insurmountable.

-Walter Sobchak

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Even if they move him up to AA in June and he's just as (or nearly as) dominant there for a couple months? The jump from AA to the majors, especially for a pitcher, isn't insurmountable.

Figuring in service time, and experience, yeah. Wait until you see him in AA, he won't be as dominant. He might as well be facing little leaguers right now compared to AA hitters, there is a HUGE jump in talent, and he needs to get some experience in "pitching" not just throwing. After a couple months in AA you can evaluate him, but moving him up before at the earliest next June is STUPID. The money Harper is going to demand (or he's going to leave at 25) is going to be insane...we are talking $300m contract.
@JeremyMStrain

#70 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

In this hypothetical (the Orioles contending in September) I'd offer the following

1. Bundy might be an intriguing option in the bullpen. Look at Strop. You don't have to be a pitcher, just a thrower if you have the right stuff.
2. You could bring him up for September and have him go back to being a starter in AA/AAA next year, nullifying the service clock problem
3. The O's would have to be pretty desperate in the bullpen. No sense bringing him up if they continue to be as deep as they seem to be right now.

#71 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

In this hypothetical (the Orioles contending in September) I'd offer the following

1. Bundy might be an intriguing option in the bullpen. Look at Strop. You don't have to be a pitcher, just a thrower if you have the right stuff.
2. You could bring him up for September and have him go back to being a starter in AA/AAA next year, nullifying the service clock problem
3. The O's would have to be pretty desperate in the bullpen. No sense bringing him up if they continue to be as deep as they seem to be right now.

I agree with this pretty much entirely. Am I remembering correctly that September callups don't count as far as starting the service time clock, or is it just that they don't burn an option?

-Walter Sobchak

#72 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

I agree with this pretty much entirely. Am I remembering correctly that September callups don't count as far as starting the service time clock, or is it just that they don't burn an option?

The O's already burned an option (1 of 4) when they sent him down before the season started.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Another strong outing. 3 ip, 8 k's.

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Gave up his first run, although it was unearned. Sounds like he had some bad defense behind him, a few errors and one guy reached on a wild pitch on Strike 3.

This was supposed to be his final 4-inning start before moving up to 5-inning outings, right? Will they make him do another 4-inning one since he only made it through 3, or will he be "let loose" all the way up to 5 innings next time out?

#75 lordbrook

lordbrook
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

New article in SI http://sportsillustr....html?hpt=hp_t3

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Gave up his first run, although it was unearned. Sounds like he had some bad defense behind him, a few errors and one guy reached on a wild pitch on Strike 3.

This was supposed to be his final 4-inning start before moving up to 5-inning outings, right? Will they make him do another 4-inning one since he only made it through 3, or will he be "let loose" all the way up to 5 innings next time out?

I was wondering the same thing. I see he threw 61 pitches in those 3 innings. So, is this a pitch limit or an innings limit?

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I see he threw 61 pitches in those 3 innings. So, is this a pitch limit or an innings limit?

Probably both. Two hard caps. He can go 4 innings if he is under x number of pitches (apparently 60, which seems a bit tight, 15 pp/in isn't that bad). I think last night's 61 was the most he's had by a pretty decent amount.

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

http://sportsillustr... ... index.html

#79 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Probably both. Two hard caps. He can go 4 innings if he is under x number of pitches (apparently 60, which seems a bit tight, 15 pp/in isn't that bad). I think last night's 61 was the most he's had by a pretty decent amount.

The pitch count limit was 65.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#80 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Has to be a promotion coming, like..yesterday, right?

What good is it doing to keep him in Low A right now? I wasn't opposed to starting him there, but it's clearly not a challenge. Let's get him to Frederick already.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=