• This topic is locked This topic is locked
318 replies to this topic

#301 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

OK, I give up. I can see that nobody is willing to do that, and will return to the cutter issue no matter what, so I will stop asking for opinions about it.

The premise of your question does not allow for it to be a 'complimentary issue.'

You are asking us to envision a scenario where Bundy has ascended to the majors, and is pitching in a game with some of his pitches not working. Asking us to determine how an organization should prepare pitchers to succeed without particular pitches.

It appears you are saying, is that if he uses the cutter as a clutch in the Minors, he might not further develop his fastball, curve, and change. And if that further development of those core pitches does not happen, we could see such a scenario where Bundy is facing adversity in the majors - trying to figure out how to pitch in a hostile environment.

If I am following this correctly, I do not see how the cutter does not factor in this discussion.

If Bundy retained use of the cutter, and the O's promoted him without further development of his fastball, curve, and change; that is on the O's. I don't buy the idea that taking away one pitch, will make the others better. You can easily argue that if the cutter is a plus pitch for Bundy, that makes the other pitches better as well. Idea being that you give hitters more to think about.

As the cutter will not be used, it is also on the O's if they promote him, and he is struggling without his full compliment of pitches available to him.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#302 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

I understand some folks feel strongly about the no-cutters-for-kids policy. I don't feel strongly about it either way.

For just a moment, let's forget about the no-cutters-for-kids policy, and instead address the other complementary issue. I would appreciate opinions about that. For example...

If you don't think they should prepare kid-P's by ensuring they know how to succeed without particular pitches, how do you think they should prepare them for that?

Actually I said somewhere early in the convo, way back, I can see where they are coming from with that philosophy for younger pitchers, lower draft picks, IFAs and the such that really need work and need to be developed. The cutter is USUALLY a pitch you pick up when other things don't work (sliders/change up) so you want to do that as a later resort.

MY issue isn't the no-cutters for kid P, it's that Bundy is a rare exception that has a plus cutter, that is actually nothing like either of the 2 cutters described in the fangraphs article, it's more of a hybrid of the two, and I don't think they should be lumping him into that no cutters rule unless they have a valid reason that applies to him directly.

Back to the Yankee scenario again, like I've said a few times, I appreciate trying to strengthen other pitches by not letting him rely on one pitch, but you can do that without COMPLETELY stripping the pitch, don't let him throw it below AA like KC, don't let him throw it for a couple months, whatever, but don't say we are taking it away and never giving it back. What if he's relying on his CV ball in the minors (which for the record is better than the cutter and he uses it much more), or if he were relying on his CH? I can appreciate a period of telling him to work without it for a start (like they did with Matusz) and let him figure out how to use the other pitches to compensate, that's what the minors are for. HOWEVER, like I said, your scenario is great IF it's the cutter that is off that day pitching against the Yankees, but what if it is the CV, or the CH? Shouldn't he have had some practice with the cutter to give him another pitch in his arsenal that day?
@JeremyMStrain

#303 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Chris and AS just answered my point.

There posts are the exact reasons why I have asked the questions to rshack that I have.

I think what Chris and AS just said is common sense and my thinking...yet it seems like Rshack and the Orioles disagree? Is that fair to say?

#304 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

And now that it got me thinking. KC was loaded with a bunch of TOP flight pitching prospects a couple years ago. Injuries contributed, but once they got to AA they all stalled out. I wonder if them restricting certain pitches below AA (I don't know if it's any more than the cutter) is hindering them once they get to that level where they need it. Totally spitballing here, no basis or anything, just made me think of that group of KC pitchers that flattened out in AA.
@JeremyMStrain

#305 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

The premise of your question does not allow for it to be a 'complimentary issue.'

I didn't say "complimentary", I said "complementary". Different word.

Here's how they are complementary (or reciprocal, or contrasting in a symmetrical way): one is a negative goal, the other is a positive goal. And this is not just about Bundy. It's about various comments various folks have made about how it's dumb to take pitches away from a guy in the bus leagues. Which is why I asked what opinions are if we forget about the no-cutters-for-kids policy.

The NCFK policy is about a negative goal: While there may be collateral benefits from taking the cutter away from kids, the main reason they say they have that policy is because they think they can avoid a negative result (long term damage to FB ability). The core purpose of the policy is not to achieve a positive goal (improving some ability in and of itself), it's to avoid a negative, some kind of future damage that presumably cannot be undone. (Forget the evidence issue, that's what they think. For me, whether they're right or wrong is an unknown.)

The more conventional reason for taking pitches away from kids in the bus leagues is to achieve a positive goal: making them less dependent on whatever they've been able to skate by with so far, and forcing them to develop capabilities they don't currently have (or don't have enough of). They might not need those capabilities in the bus leagues, but they will need them in the bigs. The core purpose here is not to avoid any damage to the P's future ability but rather is to improve his future ability... whether the kid likes it or not.

Now, the nature of the negative goal is that they have to intervene by just banning the damn pitch for an extended period (based on their expectation of harm to the P's future FB ability if they don't). In contrast, the nature of the positive goal is that they have much more room for judgment about exactly how to apply their intervention. It's not about stopping something bad, it's about adding something good. So, they can take whatever steps they feel are appropriate and necessary to achieve that addition. By the complementary nature of the two goals, the policy associated with the positive goal can be much more flexible and much more individualized for each kid-P's strengths and weaknesses than the policy for the negative goal can be. So, the fact that the negative-goal policy is rigid and across the board, while the positive-goal policy is flexible and individualized is inherent in the different nature of the two goals, not in the misguided judgement of whoever is filling in the details of policy implementation. To make a completely ridiculous analogy, a policy of not eating rat poison is about a negative goal and is properly rigid and across the board, while eating a healthy diet is about a positive goal and is by its nature much more flexible and individualizable.

So, just forget about Bundy and his dang cutter and just focus on the positive-goal aspect of taking pitches away from kid-pitchers in the bus leagues. I think there is a wide range of how that positive goal might be implemented as policy.

At one extreme is the M's thing I heard about and read about: the FB is the foundation, they do that first, they learn to master that and command it thoroughly as their baseline foundational tool. While they're doing that, we don't want them getting distracted or changing the subject by fooling around with other pitches. The batter expects a FB? Well, what else is new? They all expect FB's. Your job, kid, is to learn how to get them out by mastering exactly what they're expecting you to throw. In, out, up, down, faster, slower, 2-seam, 4-seam. Beat the hitters at their own game. I can see how they want a kid to do that first, and I can see how they don't want the kid cheating on the goal by throwing a CB to get a guy out... because they wanna see that he's able to throw a FB to get the guy out. Throwing a CB is just a distraction. If he does that, you cant tell if he succeeded at the goal, because he cheated about what his assigned goal was. (Since it's a pos-goal and not a neg-goal, there is no reason he can't throw CB's on the side.) The kid is impatient to throw his breaking stuff? Good... tell him the sooner he masters his FB, the sooner he gets to impress everybody with his CB. (Over the last several years, how many kid-P's did we see the O's bring up who simply didn't know how to throw their FB the way they wanted to? 10? 15? 20? more than 20?)

At a less extreme level, you do what I mentioned before: Wait until the kid is about to start the game and then tell him and his catcher, "Oh, by the way... no sliders anywhere near the strike zone today... deal with it." Do that a bunch a times, and do it with every pitch the kid's got, until both you *and he* can clearly see exactly what he can succeed with and what he can't... and then make sure he gets better at what he can't.

But this is more than just helping him get his pitches better. You also want to get the kid absolutely comfortable with being on the mound with only a partial arsenal... because, let's face it, the days when all the pitches in a SP's arsenal are working right for the whole damn game are few and far between. A partial arsenal is really the normal state of affairs, it's not some weird occurrence, and you want him prepared for what's normal. It's not enough to dev a kid to the point that he can win when everything's working, he's gotta be able to win when things aren't working, so that's what you want him to get lots of practice at... and bus league hitters wont give him the same kind of taxing practice at being challenged when his repertoire is diminished that big league hitters will, so you artificially and arbitrarily up the difficulty of his situation on the mound, because that's what will become normal once he makes it to the bigs and you want him used to coping with that so he doesn't get rattled when it happens.

Now, with somebody like Bundy who is supposed to be special, this applies to his cutter for reasons that have nothing to do with the NCFK policy. From what everybody says, he doesn't throw it a lot, but he throws it when he needs it. That right there is a good reason to take it away... and take it away more than just once in a while. The only reason you'd take it away for years is because of the negative goal, the NCFK thing. But even if that didn't exist, you still wanna deprive him of it a bunch, just to force him to dev a pitch that's good enough to be an out pitch. If you let him get by with throwing the cutter as his out pitch, he'll never do that on his own. Why would he? Because it will make him better later? He's not gonna want to hear that, he's gonna want to just K everybody now and get to the bigs ASAP. And next thing you know, he'll be standing on the mound in Yankee Stadium with runners on 1st and 3rd, facing $200 million worth of hitters and, oops, his cutter doesn't work. Then what?

I have no clue about whether the NCFK policy has merit or not. And, to tell you the truth, seeing guys fuss about it on a message board isn't gonna tell me much about that either. (It can certainly clarify what the issue is, but it's not gonna resolve the issue because nobody here knows enough about it.) Plus, even if I had some kind of clarity about that, so what? My opinion isn't gonna change what the O's do, and I don't get any particular pleasure from ranting forever about how everybody but me is stupid.

The O's have their policy and they believe in it. That alone is a refreshing change. Now, nomatter what policy they have about anything, people will say it's stupid. If it's a blanket policy, they're not being individualized enough. But if they individual everything, then they don't have enough of a system. On a message board, they're gonna lose nomatter what they do. But in the meantime, Bundy doesn't have his cutter. The only thing that really means to me is that he'll have to dev another out pitch, and I don't see how having another one is a bad thing. Best case is that we later find out that the O's policy is the right one and they essentially extended his career by being on top of the issue before everybody else realized it was a good policy. Worst case: if he's half as good as he's supposed to be, then he learns how to succeed without it, and then once he's in the bigs and successful, he does whatever the hell he wants to do anyway, except now he's better because he's got 2 out pitches instead of one. I just don't see how it's worth making a federal case about. I'm much more interested in seeing what good can come out of it.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#306 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Maybe the previous post was too long for anybody to read... or maybe folks are just sick of the topic... or are sick of me talking about the topic... but I'm kinda surprised that nobody chimed in to either agree or disagree with the parts of it that were about the positive-goal aspect, the parts that were not about the NCFK policy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#307 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Bowie: 2-0, 3.24 ERA, 16.2 IP, 13 K, 8 BB
Frederick: 6-3, 2.84 ERA, 57 IP, 66 K, 18 BB
Delmarva: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 30 IP, 40 K, 2 BB

#308 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

"@masnSteve: ... Bundy final line tonight is 6 IP, 6 hits, 1 R-ER, 1 BB and 7 Ks. Had 93 pitches with Dan Duquette here."

#309 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

"@masnSteve: ... Bundy final line tonight is 6 IP, 6 hits, 1 R-ER, 1 BB and 7 Ks. Had 93 pitches with Dan Duquette here."

Outstanding... the kid is something special.

#310 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Game Scouting Report on Bundy: http://orioles-natio... ... rt-952012/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#311 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Game Scouting Report on Bundy: http://orioles-natio... ... rt-952012/

You should change the change up's number to 23 in the section I quoted below... otherwise well done. :)

In typical fashion, Bundy pounded the lower portion of the zone the entire night. He works fast and it’s obvious he has a clear plan each time out. He threw 57 fastballs, 13 change ups, and 12 curve balls.

#312 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

You should change the change up's number to 23 in the section I quoted below... otherwise well done. :)

ah thanks Greg! Probably my punishment for doing this at 1 am :D

#313 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Welcome to the show, kid. Perhaps we can move this to the O's player talk sub-forum now?

@Britt_Ghiroli

Orioles rookie Dylan Bundy is expected to wear #49.

#314 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bundy talks to the media about his call-up: http://brittghiroli.... ... undy-time/

By the way, this is pretty surreal for me. A guy on my hometown team that is officially younger than me. Feels weird.

EDIT: Forgot about Machado. But still, weird.

#315 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Bundy talks to the media about his call-up: http://brittghiroli.... ... undy-time/

By the way, this is pretty surreal for me. A guy on my hometown team that is officially younger than me. Feels weird.

EDIT: Forgot about Machado. But still, weird.

It sounds cliche, but one day much sooner than you think, you'll blink and they'll all be younger than you. Try to remember the excitement you're feeling today because that day is going to suck.
@Thyrl

#316 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

It sounds cliche, but one day much sooner than you think, you'll blink and they'll all be younger than you. Try to remember the excitement you're feeling today because that day is going to suck.

Just wait, and next thing you know, the friggin' managers will start being younger than you...

#317 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Just wait, and next thing you know, the friggin' managers will start being younger than you...

Yeah, that sucks. It does drive home, he age thing doesn't it. On the positive side, as long as the age number keeps going up, you are OK. :D
@mikeghg

#318 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Bundy made his Major League debut, getting the final 2 outs of the 8th inning with 7 pitches, 4 for strikes. However, he had some problems finding his glove when the call came in to the bullpen!!

The bullpen phone rang and reliever Tommy Hunter answered it.

That's how Dylan Bundy's major league debut got under way.

Then it got complicated ... and comical.

"Tommy Hunter answered the phone and told me I was going in. I said, 'What?' and I couldn't find my glove. Took me about a minute to find it," Bundy said. "He told me to get going, so I was like, OK, its happening, and I got loose as quick as I could."

http://www.masnsport... ... phone.html
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MKlein76

#319 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

The Orioles named Bundy as the Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=