#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I don't know that a temporary facility is going to work when you are talking about that many pools, that deep etc. I could be wrong, I just don't the area going with a stopgap.

It runs through 2027, 30 year lease. Word was that they would be willing to let them out early if they could get the new FBI building for the site.

We're talking about two different things. I'm saying a temp facility for the Opening/Closing as well as track events, that's what Chicago was supposed to be IIRC. That said, I think it's somewhat likely they'd build temp facilties for aquatics as there would be little use for them after the games, they'd just need seating and media capabilities.

Even, if the Skins couldn't get out of their lease, maybe the new stadium is just a white elephant for a few years.

@levineps

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

New York TimesU.S. Cities Vie to Carry the Olympic Torch in 2024

The top contenders are Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia and Boston. That list will be cut to two or three cities by the end of May, and the U.S.O.C. hopes to have one city selected by the end of the year.

Washington

In what is being touted as the most patriotic offering, the Washington bid would involve demolishing R.F.K. Stadium to construct an Olympic stadium and athletes’ village. “It’s ready to be torn down,” Russ Ramsey, chairman of Washington 2024, said.

Having the Games in the Eastern Time Zone, a potentially lucrative opportunity for NBC, is another one of Washington’s selling points, and the Games could sprawl into Baltimore. The area is accustomed to staging high-security gatherings.

Amid a campaign finance scandal, Washington’s mayor lost his bid for re-election, and it is unclear whether his successor will support the bid. And while lovely in the spring, D.C.'s summer weather can feel like a warm pool.

@levineps

#43 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Would getting the games be the kick in the pants Baltimore needs to build a new Arena?

#44 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

If anything it'd FORCE some action by the DC Council and DCU on a new stadium one way or another.

Washington in 2024.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

I've always considered demolishing RFK Stadium as one of the most patriotic things you could do, too.

• Russ likes this
@DJ_McCann

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,433 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

Would getting the games be the kick in the pants Baltimore needs to build a new Arena?

I would hope so. Ideally you want two decent-sized indoor arenas for the Olympics, one each for basketball and gymnastics. I suppose they could manage with just the Verizon and Comcast Centers though.

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Washington PostD.C. bid to host 2024 Olympics receiving USOC consideration

The USOC hopes to choose the city to nominate by the end of the year. That would give the USOC and city leaders roughly nine months to bolster the bid and fine-tune their strategy before formally submitting it to the International Olympic Committee in September 2015. The IOC is expected to name the 2024 host in 2017, providing the customary seven-year window for preparation.

Much like the successful London 2012 Games, it would focus on integrating the competition with existing facilities and locating the hub of new construction — the Olympic stadium and village — in a region that needs redevelopment and reinvestment. One site under consideration is the area around RFK Stadium.

Finally, a DC2024 bid would stress the region’s experience and readiness in public safety and securing high-profile events; its network of public transportation; and its multicultural population.

@levineps

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,433 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

A Washington-area bid would incorporate the region’s inventory of sporting venues within a compact geographical area, with only an Olympic stadium and athletes’ village required to be built.

Soooooo.....as I read that, it means that a new arena in Baltimore will not be part of the plan? That was probably the lone good thing that would come out of having the Olympics there. Otherwise, I wouldn't want any parts of it.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

Soooooo.....as I read that, it means that a new arena in Baltimore will not be part of the plan? That was probably the lone good thing that would come out of having the Olympics there. Otherwise, I wouldn't want any parts of it.

"Baltimore" didn't appear in this article -- I think it's safe to say if DC gets the games, there will be events in Baltimore. I can't imagine they'd hold things at Baltimore Arena in it's current state. A new arena would likely come.

@levineps

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

I think it wouldn't be "required" as part of the bid. However, I can't see any event being held in that pile, so a new arena would be a likely outcome.

@DJ_McCann

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I wonder if Baltimore would really even play much of a part. DC could use UM for some stuff as well as Georgetown and other local colleges. They have most the other stuff you need. I could see M&T Bank being used for some stuff. Am I missing something?
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,433 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

I think it wouldn't be "required" as part of the bid. However, I can't see any event being held in that pile, so a new arena would be a likely outcome.

My thinking is that they simply won't need an arena in Baltimore at all. I think ideally you would have two decent ones, one for basketball and one for gymnastics. Maybe Verizon and Comcast Centers will cover it?

EDIT: Or maybe they have some lower-tier indoor event in The Dump, like badminton or table tennis.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,433 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I wonder if Baltimore would really even play much of a part. DC could use UM for some stuff as well as Georgetown and other local colleges. They have most the other stuff you need. I could see M&T Bank being used for some stuff. Am I missing something?

M&T would probably host soccer. I think there's been a push to reinstate baseball and softball too....if that happens OPACY could be a venue as well (which would mean a 2 1/2 week road trip for the O's).

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think minor league stadiums would also work for that. Plenty of those in the area.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#55 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

My thinking is that they simply won't need an arena in Baltimore at all. I think ideally you would have two decent ones, one for basketball and one for gymnastics. Maybe Verizon and Comcast Centers will cover it?

LOL. Anything for Baltimore to not build a new arena.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

M&T would probably host soccer. I think there's been a push to reinstate baseball and softball too....if that happens OPACY could be a venue as well (which would mean a 2 1/2 week road trip for the O's).

If Baltimore is hosting a significant amount of events, they'll probably be on a 2.5 week roadtrip to begin with. 

@levineps

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I think minor league stadiums would also work for that. Plenty of those in the area.

They'll probably have baseball at Nats Park. If they need a second stadium, it will be OPACY, don't think they'll be playing at minor league stadiums.

@levineps

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

LOL. Anything for Baltimore to not build a new arena.

I figure that, since there seems to be SOME political and public desire for a new building, just not enough to get it pushed through, an Olympic bid would be used as justification for getting it done. That way there can be more going on in Baltimore.

I remember the early plans for a 2012 bid involved a dual Opening Ceremonies at the Olympic stadium and the Inner Harbor. That would be cool.

@DJ_McCann

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

They'll probably have baseball at Nats Park. If they need a second stadium, it will be OPACY, don't think they'll be playing at minor league stadiums.

Depends on how involved they want Baltimore. I could see them using Nats Park for other events (archery, etc.)

@DJ_McCann

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

They'll probably have basketball in multiple venues most likely, women compete here as well. There's plenty of arenas they could use besides Verizon/Comcast. But still would be nice to get that new arena in Baltimore.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=