#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hard to believe MD's government would do anything that would benefit us long term.

Oh, I know. I didn't say they would INTEND to do it...;)

@DJ_McCann

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

My brother is dating a girl whose dad has been to every single one since like 1976.

Summer and winter?, guessing this guy has a lot of money.

@levineps

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Summer and winter?, guessing this guy has a lot of money.

Yeah, there was an article written about him a while back in the NY Times I think. It's pretty cray-cray. His daughter is a teacher with MCPS and he takes her with him all the time. She said it's not that fun though cause they have a schedule to hit as many events as possible, as he barters with guys from other countries to see events he wants to see when he wants to see them, so it's pretty non-stop. Still pretty cool. I keep telling my bro he needs to work his way into that Brazil trip, but he said he doesn't want to go unless he can actually go experience Brazil, not just olympic village.

@JeremyMStrain

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, there was an article written about him a while back in the NY Times I think. It's pretty cray-cray. His daughter is a teacher with MCPS and he takes her with him all the time. She said it's not that fun though cause they have a schedule to hit as many events as possible, as he barters with guys from other countries to see events he wants to see when he wants to see them, so it's pretty non-stop. Still pretty cool. I keep telling my bro he needs to work his way into that Brazil trip, but he said he doesn't want to go unless he can actually go experience Brazil, not just olympic village.

I can see where she is coming from. The downside to the Olympic "vacations" is that you aren't going to see where you are going but to go to the Olympics. And you have to deal with the crowds and what not. So unless you really like the Olympics, you should probably go to London, Sydney, Salt Lake City another time. Nonetheless, I'd love to go to the Olympics at some point. I'm not exactly dying to go, if I don't make it there, I'm sure I'll have bigger regrets.

@levineps

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Well, here's the turd in the punchbowl viewpoint:

http://www.washingto...ympics/?hpid=z5

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Can't argue with any of the points made. Even the infrastructure improvements to the communities, which in some cases are necessary without the Olympics, are not handled in the most efficient way possible.

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Of course it's a terrible idea! That's what makes it fun!

Hasn't anyone in the groups that do these studies ever said, "Hey ya'll, watch this!" before?

@DJ_McCann

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

So what goes on if they win this bid. I'm under the assumption that most places that earn the bid then have to build facilities, which cost tax payer money? Right?

I feel like FedEx field, Byrd Stadium, etc.. arent big enough for the opening ceremonies/track events. Then they usually build a facility for aquatics. Hate to say it, but how much of a waste are these giant pool arenas that get used for two weeks? I'd be curious to know what other cities have done with their arenas once the Olympics wrap up.

Unlikely, but I wonder if part of the agreement would be to expand Byrd Stadium to a 100,000 seating capacity, so after the Olympics we would have a quality college football home field advantage like our soon to be Big Ten rivals Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

So what goes on if they win this bid. I'm under the assumption that most places that earn the bid then have to build facilities, which cost tax payer money? Right?

I feel like FedEx field, Byrd Stadium, etc.. arent big enough for the opening ceremonies/track events. Then they usually build a facility for aquatics. Hate to say it, but how much of a waste are these giant pool arenas that get used for two weeks? I'd be curious to know what other cities have done with their arenas once the Olympics wrap up.

Unlikely, but I wonder if part of the agreement would be to expand Byrd Stadium to a 100,000 seating capacity, so after the Olympics we would have a quality college football home field advantage like our soon to be Big Ten rivals Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

There would almost definitely be a new or heavily renovated stadium (most likely RFK) for the Opening Ceremonies and it be in DC. Byrd probably wouldn't receive such a facelift for the games alone, they'd likely host soccer games.

Turner and Olympic Stadium in Montreal became their teams respective stadiums as a result of the games. As others have said, the likely new stadium would result in the Redskins new home.

In terms of the aquatic facilities, it could still be good for general use after the games, just wouldn't need the seating.

Yes, it cost a lot for a few weeks, you know that going in.

I highly doubt Byrd gets renovated to seat 100k. Other than maybe the top games and even that is hardly given, there just isn't the demand to go to the games. They are getting to around 60k I believe, if they complete the plan. I'm not even sure how they'd get to 100k with the luxury suites, they're running out of a footprint to build.

@levineps

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

There would almost definitely be a new or heavily renovated stadium (most likely RFK) for the Opening Ceremonies and it be in DC. Byrd probably wouldn't receive such a facelift for the games alone, they'd likely host soccer games.

Turner and Olympic Stadium in Montreal became their teams respective stadiums as a result of the games. As others have said, the likely new stadium would result in the Redskins new home.

In terms of the aquatic facilities, it could still be good for general use after the games, just wouldn't need the seating.

Yes, it cost a lot for a few weeks, you know that going in.

I highly doubt Byrd gets renovated to seat 100k. Other than maybe the top games and even that is hardly given, there just isn't the demand to go to the games. They are getting to around 60k I believe, if they complete the plan. I'm not even sure how they'd get to 100k with the luxury suites, they're running out of a footprint to build.

The new DC United stadium would host some of the soccer, I think the track n field would be done at RFK with a facelift like you said. They still have Fed Ex and Ravens Stadium to use in some way. There are a few aquatic centers that are top national quality around here so they'd use one or two of those. You have the new center at UMCP just recently done, one of either Towson or UMBC is being redone right now, then you have the training sites, Rockville, and another one up in Towson that could be used too.

Just guessing though.

@JeremyMStrain

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Just wishful thinking. I'm not a big college football fan at all, and I guess that's because I had Maryland growing up. But I've been to some high profile games with friends who are into it. White out game at Penn State, FSU/Miami in their prime, and an Iron Bowl game at Tuscaloosa. The amount of people at those games makes it loud and a lot of fun. Going to Terps games now feels like a high school game. If they had 100k people, they would fill it up when Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State comes to town. And for every other game when they better. Again, just wishful thinking. I'll care more about Terps football when the move to the Big Ten happens. Bigger and better things on the horizon.

They don't need luxury boxes. They need more cheap seats.
@BSLMikeRandall

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

The new DC United stadium would host some of the soccer, I think the track n field would be done at RFK with a facelift like you said. They still have Fed Ex and Ravens Stadium to use in some way. There are a few aquatic centers that are top national quality around here so they'd use one or two of those. You have the new center at UMCP just recently done, one of either Towson or UMBC is being redone right now, then you have the training sites, Rockville, and another one up in Towson that could be used too.

Just guessing though.

Maybe on the women's side and/or smaller matches, but I'd think they'd put the soccer at bigger venues like Byrd, M&T, FedEx. In the past, they've branched out soccer to other cities, so maybe Philly, Charlottesville, or even Atlanta to return the favor (remember DC hosted some soccer in 1996).

The track and field events would likely be the same stadium as the Opening/Closing Ceremonies and I think that's likely on the RFK site, whether it's a new stadium or heavily renovated.

With the acquatic centers, you need a lot of seating, which I don't think any of those places has and might be hard to do. The US Olympic Trials have been an arena in Omaha, could they put it at Comcast or a new Baltimore arena?

@levineps

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Maybe on the women's side and/or smaller matches, but I'd think they'd put the soccer at bigger venues like Byrd, M&T, FedEx. In the past, they've branched out soccer to other cities, so maybe Philly, Charlottesville, or even Atlanta to return the favor (remember DC hosted some soccer in 1996).

The track and field events would likely be the same stadium as the Opening/Closing Ceremonies and I think that's likely on the RFK site, whether it's a new stadium or heavily renovated.

With the acquatic centers, you need a lot of seating, which I don't think any of those places has and might be hard to do. The US Olympic Trials have been an arena in Omaha, could they put it at Comcast or a new Baltimore arena?

The new spot is supposed to be 20-22k seats, which isn't the huge mega stadium, so you could be right there, but it'll also be a couple blocks from Nationals Park, so having them so close together just begs for both of them to be used somehow.

Yeah I figure RFK has to be used in that somehow, but I don't think it'll be the new stadium, cause they can't promise as of right now it will be done, so that's why I figured they'd do some minor refurb and use it for like we said opening/closing/track.

I don't know that there is a TON of seating at the aquatic events though, think how rare it is to see crowd shots at those events. I know MD's new pool is supposed to be state of the art, and they've been having national meets there, but I haven't been there yet. RMSC is like the pinnacle as far as swim training spots in the country, so I imagine they've gotta be pretty well equipped. I dunno though.

I imagine there are enough different places in this area with universities, stadiums etc, that they can make it work somehow.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just wishful thinking. I'm not a big college football fan at all, and I guess that's because I had Maryland growing up. But I've been to some high profile games with friends who are into it. White out game at Penn State, FSU/Miami in their prime, and an Iron Bowl game at Tuscaloosa. The amount of people at those games makes it loud and a lot of fun. Going to Terps games now feels like a high school game. If they had 100k people, they would fill it up when Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State comes to town. And for every other game when they better. Again, just wishful thinking. I'll care more about Terps football when the move to the Big Ten happens. Bigger and better things on the horizon.

Cheap seats don't bring in the big bucks and college sports is increasingly becoming more of a business. This is reflected in new ADs such as Dave Brandon at Michigan who have less of a sports background and more of a business one. At Colorado when the AD was forced out, the chancellor specifically said he wanted someone who would run it as a business (they hired the President of Business Ops for the Texas Rangers).

Even if Maryland were consistently good, I'm not sure if there would ever be interest for those mega stadiums. This isn't Nebraska where it's the "states team" because it lacks pro teams. You have six major pro teams within a relatively easy drive of Byrd. A lot of places you mentioned are the only game in town and/or pro teams around that lack the passion of Ravens and Redskins fans. Maryland is naturally third fiddle when it comes to football in the area or second after the Ravens or Redskins(whichever team you root for).

It be cool to see GameDay come here and more RVs in the parking lot, but I'm not counting on the type of festive atmosphere you see in the SEC and even other Big Ten schools anytime in the near future, except for game here or there once in a blue moon. I would love to be wrong.

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

The new spot is supposed to be 20-22k seats, which isn't the huge mega stadium, so you could be right there, but it'll also be a couple blocks from Nationals Park, so having them so close together just begs for both of them to be used somehow.

Yeah I figure RFK has to be used in that somehow, but I don't think it'll be the new stadium, cause they can't promise as of right now it will be done, so that's why I figured they'd do some minor refurb and use it for like we said opening/closing/track.

I don't know that there is a TON of seating at the aquatic events though, think how rare it is to see crowd shots at those events. I know MD's new pool is supposed to be state of the art, and they've been having national meets there, but I haven't been there yet. RMSC is like the pinnacle as far as swim training spots in the country, so I imagine they've gotta be pretty well equipped. I dunno though.

I imagine there are enough different places in this area with universities, stadiums etc, that they can make it work somehow.

By minor I think you mean major. There's no way the IOC will let RFK host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies in anything close to that form IMO. It's not until 2024, I think they make a decision six years out or so (so 2018). That would give plenty of time to demolish RFK if they choose and build a new stadium. I was there last for when Maryland was in that bowl game, which was nearly 3 years ago, I can't imagine things have gotten any better. With DCU scheduled to move out there's no real need to do anything more than simple upkeeps to make sure the stadium doesn't fall apart.

In terms of the crowd shot, is Debbie Phelps going to be there? I'm really not sure how much these events seat myself but I'm thinking around 5-6k atleast. I don't think it's as simple as this is a world class pool, let's put the aquatic events there.

@levineps

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

By minor I think you mean major. There's no way the IOC will let RFK host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies in anything close to that form IMO. It's not until 2024, I think they make a decision six years out or so (so 2018). That would give plenty of time to demolish RFK if they choose and build a new stadium. I was there last for when Maryland was in that bowl game, which was nearly 3 years ago, I can't imagine things have gotten any better. With DCU scheduled to move out there's no real need to do anything more than simple upkeeps to make sure the stadium doesn't fall apart.

In terms of the crowd shot, is Debbie Phelps going to be there? I'm really not sure how much these events seat myself but I'm thinking around 5-6k atleast. I don't think it's as simple as this is a world class pool, let's put the aquatic events there.

Well by minor I mean they don't need to tear it down and build a new stadium. I think they try to announce the next winner by the end of this run of olympics, but maybe that's after the next summer in 16. Either way, the problem is that a new stadium isn't happening unless Snyder does it, and he's still under contract to PG County. Unless he pulls something out of a hat and gets it planned and through in the next year or so, I don't think they can figure that into plans.

Problem is that they aren't going to build a place that we don't have just for these olympics, if they don't have something in mind to use and keep using after, it won't happen. They got pretty far in the process last time, so I imagine that they've got something in mind already.

@JeremyMStrain

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well by minor I mean they don't need to tear it down and build a new stadium. I think they try to announce the next winner by the end of this run of olympics, but maybe that's after the next summer in 16. Either way, the problem is that a new stadium isn't happening unless Snyder does it, and he's still under contract to PG County. Unless he pulls something out of a hat and gets it planned and through in the next year or so, I don't think they can figure that into plans.

Problem is that they aren't going to build a place that we don't have just for these olympics, if they don't have something in mind to use and keep using after, it won't happen. They got pretty far in the process last time, so I imagine that they've got something in mind already.

Chicago was going to do some temporary facility, DC could do as such.

When does the lease on PG run until? Snyder owns FedEx Field, so I'd think it be easier to break any deal. My guess is even with a new stadium, they'd want to retrofit like they did at Turner after the games. For example, you'd get rid of the running track.

@levineps

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Chicago was going to do some temporary facility, DC could do as such.

When does the lease on PG run until? Snyder owns FedEx Field, so I'd think it be easier to break any deal. My guess is even with a new stadium, they'd want to retrofit like they did at Turner after the games. For example, you'd get rid of the running track.

I don't know that a temporary facility is going to work when you are talking about that many pools, that deep etc. I could be wrong, I just don't the area going with a stopgap.

It runs through 2027, 30 year lease. Word was that they would be willing to let them out early if they could get the new FBI building for the site.

@JeremyMStrain

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I can guarantee you that:

1) If Maryland had a 100,000-seat stadium it would fill for the games you mentioned.

2) Somewhere around a third or less of the fans would be supporting the Terps, maybe 40% if they were winning ten games a year.

@DJ_McCann

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

The IOC announces the host city for each Olympiad seven years in advance. The 2020 Games are set to be announced a week from Saturday (I'm rooting for Istanbul, but that's really nobody's business but the Turks'). The 2024 Games host will be chosen in 2017.

That's four years to get a workable plan in place, bribe the proper IOC officials, and then have seven more years to build the facilities. Plenty of time.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=