#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Washington Business Journal: Washington launches 2024 Olympics bid
http://www.bizjourna...e=.html&ana=twt

Regional effort which includes Baltimore, but only has Washington's name on the bid.

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I still want to see this happen in my lifetime. Though I would prefer the dual bid (I remember the theoretical plans for a dual Opening Ceremony on the Mall and at the Inner Harbor; how awesome would that be?) as long as Baltimore and the whole region is part of the deal I'll be really excited.

@DJ_McCann

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

I got mixed feelings on this -- I'd like to see it but I don't want to deal with a lot of the headaches that could come potentially with it. I remember last year while it was happening in London, how the weather wasn't ideal here, Ultimately though, it would be pretty cool.

@levineps

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Baltimore Sun: Washington group explores bid for 2024 Olympics

http://www.baltimore...7544,full.story

@levineps

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

I would assume if successful, this would serve as the impetus to build a stadium in DC that would eventually accommodate the Redskins. And more importantly for Baltimore, it could at long last be what gets a new arena built.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

I could care less if it's only under the DC name having olympic events in Baltimore would be awesome.   I'm curious where the track and field events would take place.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

I could care less if it's only under the DC name having olympic events in Baltimore would be awesome.   I'm curious where the track and field events would take place.

I wouldn't love it, but I would understand it. I believe it would benefit the region as a whole.  Most likely with lasting improvements to mass transportation.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I just worry about the traffic impact.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I just worry about the traffic impact.

Oh, it would be hell for a few weeks, there's zero doubt about that. But on the bright side, maybe I'll rent out my apartment for $1,500 a week and go shack up at the rents for a few weeks. :lol:

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Oh, it would be hell for a few weeks, there's zero doubt about that. But on the bright side, maybe I'll rent out my apartment for $1,500 a week and go shack up at the rents for a few weeks. :lol:

I remember them doing a study on it back when they came close to getting a bid last time, and they said it was their biggest obstacle. We have mass transit set up well in each area, but not much in the way of connecting Bmore and DC, and we need both to have enough places for events. That and already having the worst traffic in the country, adding that many people for 2 weeks isn't going to be fun.

I'll just make sure to plan my OBX trip for those 2 weeks and rent my house out for like $3k.

@JeremyMStrain

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

That would surely be the new Olympic/Redskins stadium in DC, probably at the RFK site.

I would guess basketball would be at Verizon. I think the 2012 plan called for soccer and baseball at the Camden Yards complex and gymnastics at the Baltimore Arena. The "Olympic Village" was the University of Maryland dorms.

All of that was over a decade ago and I still remember it pretty clearly. No, I wasn't excited at all.

@DJ_McCann

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I remember them doing a study on it back when they came close to getting a bid last time, and they said it was their biggest obstacle. We have mass transit set up well in each area, but not much in the way of connecting Bmore and DC, and we need both to have enough places for events. That and already having the worst traffic in the country, adding that many people for 2 weeks isn't going to be fun.

I'll just make sure to plan my OBX trip for those 2 weeks and rent my house out for like $3k.

I would bet that, since most of the facilities would be in place already, much of the money brought into the era would go to transportation. We might finally see that oft-rumored high-speed rail line built.

@DJ_McCann

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hyperloop!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'd be psyched to have the Olympics in the area.

Hope that we'd get to see some baseball games at Camden Yards.  Maybe soccerr or even lacrosse by then at M&T.  I imagine they'd use the UM pool for the swimming (though crowd seating may be a problem), that'd be cool.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I thought they dumped baseball?

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'd be psyched to have the Olympics in the area.

Hope that we'd get to see some baseball games at Camden Yards.  Maybe soccerr or even lacrosse by then at M&T.  I imagine they'd use the UM pool for the swimming (though crowd seating may be a problem), that'd be cool.

NBAC!

I thought they dumped baseball?

They did, but they're trying to get it back in. I think the next vote on it would be for either 2020 or 2024.

@DJ_McCann

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Going to the Olympics is definitely something on my bucket list.

Can't imagine the traffic around here though.  What a nightmare that would be.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

That doesn't worry me. Traffic is already quite often a nightmare. It would just be a little more constant for a couple of weeks, and if real improvements are made could be beneficial long-term.

@DJ_McCann

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

That doesn't worry me. Traffic is already quite often a nightmare. It would just be a little more constant for a couple of weeks, and if real improvements are made could be beneficial long-term.

Hard to believe MD's government would do anything that would benefit us long term.

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

My brother is dating a girl whose dad has been to every single one since like 1976.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=