#81 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Easier said than done.

Yeah, I think the Olympics would be the only way, and even that wouldn't be a sure thing.

#82 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, I think the Olympics would be the only way, and even that wouldn't be a sure thing.

The money will have to come from somewhere for that, and a train that fast would need its own dedicated track, not to be shared with MARC, Amtrak or CSX which currently does. The Red Line is projected to cost $2 billion but is likely to cost double that, easily. Something like this will likely cost $4 billion too.

And as great as that would be, it would really only be needed if the Olympics were being more evenly split between cities.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#83 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Easier said than done.

That's the whole point, whether it is a bullet train, or a new Baltimore arena, or a new Washington football stadium. All of those are easier said than done, but one of the best ways to get them done is through the Olympics.

@DJ_McCann

#84 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

One of the first articles about Maglev,  check the date on this one....

http://articles.balt...nd-at-baltimore

#85 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

A high-speed train that cuts the travel time between Balt-DC in half could potentially be a good thing for Baltimore well beyond the Olympics. It might bring in more residents to the city....namely people work in DC, prefer the urban lifestyle, but don't want to pay for over-valued housing in DC.

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Washington among four cities being considered for USOC’s 2024 Summer Games 

Washington’s bid to land the 2024 Olympics has withstood the first cut by the U.S. Olympic Committee. Now comes the task of convincing USOC officials that the nation’s capital would make a more compelling case internationally for returning the Summer Games to the United States for the first time in 28 years than would Boston, Los Angeles or San Francisco.

The USOC’s board of directors had been expected to pare a list of six interested cities to two or three in voting earlier this week. Instead, they lopped just two hopefuls — Dallas and San Diego — and on Friday afternoon confirmed their finalists for a potential U.S. bid for the 2024 Games.

#87 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Washington among four cities being considered for USOC’s 2024 Summer Games 

No way in hell San Francisco agrees to it.

I could see LA having a real shot at getting it again.

@DJ_McCann

#88 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

No way in hell San Francisco agrees to it.

I could see LA having a real shot at getting it again.

I'm not so sure about LA either. Due to economic and political reasons, they were able to do it on the cheap in 1984. They won't be that lucky this time around. I could see them getting sticker shock ("they" being the everyday citizens, not the city's organizers, who I'm sure have at least a ballpark number).

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Washington's Olympic bid moves forward with extent of Maryland role undefined

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

@DJ_McCann

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

So basically, MD would get all the hassle and expense of co-hosting an Olympics, but without a new arena for Baltimore? Wonderful! Glad I don't live there anymore.

#91 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

So basically, MD would get all the hassle and expense of co-hosting an Olympics, but without a new arena for Baltimore? Wonderful! Glad I don't live there anymore.

That wasn't going to happen either way. If there's a new stadium its going to be in DC for the main deal. Outside of that they want to leverage the existing infrastructure, that's what makes the sc bid appealing.
@JeremyMStrain

#92 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

That wasn't going to happen either way. If there's a new stadium its going to be in DC for the main deal. Outside of that they want to leverage the existing infrastructure, that's what makes the sc bid appealing.

I don't recall anyone associated with the bid planning mentioning it specifically, but I know there was hope around here that holding an Olympics in the region might necessitate a new arena in Baltimore. But I mentioned myself in this thread that it might be possible to have suitable facilities between Verizon Center, Comcast Center, and other smaller venues in the area....and now it sounds as though that will be the case.

It's still disappointing....with the passing of Willard Hackerman, who had proposed a deal to build an arena along with an expansion of the convention center and a new hotel when he was still alive, the Olympics likely represented the last chance for something like that to happen. At least in my lifetime. My main point above is that if I were still living in Baltimore, unless hosting events included a new arena and/or other infrastructure improvements that would benefit city residents after the Games left, I'd much rather keep that mess as far away from Baltimore as possible.

#93 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

I don't recall anyone associated with the bid planning mentioning it specifically, but I know there was hope around here that holding an Olympics in the region might necessitate a new arena in Baltimore. But I mentioned myself in this thread that it might be possible to have suitable facilities between Verizon Center, Comcast Center, and other smaller venues in the area....and now it sounds as though that will be the case.

It's still disappointing....with the passing of Willard Hackerman, who had proposed a deal to build an arena along with an expansion of the convention center and a new hotel when he was still alive, the Olympics likely represented the last chance for something like that to happen. At least in my lifetime. My main point above is that if I were still living in Baltimore, unless hosting events included a new arena and/or other infrastructure improvements that would benefit city residents after the Games left, I'd much rather keep that mess as far away from Baltimore as possible.

If only we had one of those cool totalitarian governments like China and Russia, we might get a new arena AND the MagLev!

@DJ_McCann

#94 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Except the arena would look like this:

Arena-St.-Petersburg-640x371.jpg

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#95 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

msg-hip-hop-sports-report.jpg

@DJ_McCann

#96 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

http://www.washingto...-2024-olympics/

No Baltimore-area venues.

#97 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Maybe we'll get a soccer match :rolleyes:

@DJ_McCann

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

And only a small number of events in the state of MD. Win!

#99 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

Boston is the U.S.' 2024 Olympics bid.

#100 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts