397 replies to this topic

#21 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Well that was certainly a solid way for him to start off the year. He looked good today -was happy to be at the Yard to see him pitch.

Great to see him getting the 16 groundouts.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

With the way the ball was flying tonight, would be great to see Hammel have his 2 seamer working tomorrow.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

With the way the ball was flying tonight, would be great to see Hammel have his 2 seamer working tomorrow.

No doubt, if he can keep the ball on the ground, we'll have a great chance to keep their offense under wraps and go up 2-0 in the series.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Back on the mound tomorrow. Need a quality start before going to LA.

#25 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hammel needs to have his A game tomorrow. Winning this series would be huge for the Orioles at this point in the season. Hammel can do it, but he'll have to eat some innings and pitch effectively. Hunter seemed to be rough tonight (I can't watch because I'm at school). Definitely need a good start tomorrow.
@Langley486

#26 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hammel strikes out 10 against the Sox, going 6 innings and allowing 2 earned runs.

He's now 2-0 with a 2.37 ERA on the season.

Only 18 more Jason!

@AdamWolff

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

We have to be very happy with the early return on the Guthrie trade as Hammel looks to be a very competent starter.

His stuff is also a little better than I expected.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

We have to be very happy with the early return on the Guthrie trade as Hammel looks to be a very competent starter.

Looks better than Guthrie's stuff IMO.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Missed his start today as well as his last start. I did see his start at home vs the Twins an I was def impressed with his stuff. I remember Palmer mentioning that he starting throwing a sinker this spring and I thought it was very effective for him in that 1st start. Was that power sinker working again today?? Was he throwing it a lot?? If so it could certainly be a good enough pitch to push him over the hump from being a medicore #4 or #5 to possibly a solid #3.

#30 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hammel had that rough 3rd inning, but then came back and threw 10 pitches in the 4th inning and nine in the 5th inning and gave the team six innings.

To me, he mixed the change-up and slider pretty well in the middle innings to help himself out. Got the lead in the 5th inning and cruised the next two. 10 strikeouts a new career high, and also got five groundball outs and 3 fly outs.
@MattCLund

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Looks better than Guthrie's stuff IMO.

Hammel frankly looks a lot better than I thought he was. He does have good stuff, similar to Guthrie IMO, with a better breaking ball. He had everything working in start 1 but had to battle in the other 2. He did well keeping the team in both. I think at the very least he will take the ball every 5th day and eat innings, at the most based on the first 3, I think he could win 12 to 15 wins.
@mikeghg

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Through 3 starts: 2-0, 2.37 era, 19 ip, 14 hits, 5 er, 1 hr, 7 bb's, 18 k's, .612 OPS against, 1.45 G/F.

#33 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

It wasn't really farfetched for everyone to jump on Hammel for his 20 wins comment or even him in the trade period because of the track record. He asn't really effective in Tampa Bay and had really fallen off so much that even I forgot about him (yes, I know as an avid sports fan in general, I usually know who everyone is). He always had the stuff in my opinion to be a good, solid pitcher in the league, I just never thought it would be in the AL East. Granted, he has yet to face the Red Sox or Yankees but you have to be impressed with his pitching thus far. I know I am.
@Langley486

#34 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Tonight's a huge game for the O's and Hammel in the sense that they can knock the Jays a full game behind them in the division and also win themselves another series.

Hammel is 7th in the AL in ERA at 2.37 and has looked so much better than Guthrie has all season long.

Is it too soon to already feel like we've won this game with Hammel on the mound...?

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Tonight's a huge game for the O's and Hammel in the sense that they can knock the Jays a full game behind them in the division and also win themselves another series.

Hammel is 7th in the AL in ERA at 2.37 and has looked so much better than Guthrie has all season long.

Is it too soon to already feel like we've won this game with Hammel on the mound...?

Man you're trying hard to jinx this game!

:D

#36 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Man you're trying hard to jinx this game!

:D

lol. I don't know - I'm sure many fans are still waiting for the other shoe to drop, and the other shoe being the O's going on a 15 - 50 tear in the near future.

I just think the team is playing well enough to win the games they're supposed to and are staying in the games (so far) that they probably shouldn't.

The defense is another thing though...

#37 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I figure Hammel's done for the night with 105 pitches. Fantastic performance. 7 IP, 7 Ks to 1 BB, 10 groundouts, 3 flyouts, and 0 runs!

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I figure Hammel's done for the night with 105 pitches. Fantastic performance. 7 IP, 7 Ks to 1 BB, 10 groundouts, 3 flyouts, and 0 runs!

17% swinging str%...62% strike%...both important.

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

In fairness the guy evaluated at the trade time, and the guy pitching now really aren't the same pitcher, as he switched to a new 2-seamer and has been throwing that harder and with better results from his old FB.
@JeremyMStrain

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

He is throwing a 2 seamer now...a pitch he said he didn't use in Colorado. That pitch has been huge for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=