• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

He is throwing a 2 seamer now...a pitch he said he didn't use in Colorado. That pitch has been huge for him.

Yeah this one is a Britton-like sinker, 94-95mph, nasty late break. Sometimes that's all it takes.
@JeremyMStrain

#42 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Can't say enough about how good Hammel has been.

20 wins is still crazy, but 3 wins already is pretty impressive.

Not a whole lot of different ways to say it. He's been great.

@AdamWolff

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Mentioned the sinker earlier in the thread. It seems to be a legit difference maker for Hammel.

#44 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Mentioned the sinker earlier in the thread. It seems to be a legit difference maker for Hammel.

Throw the two-seamer with all that movement and a changeup, it's a lethal combination. It's too hard to pick up a changeup after seeing nasty 2-seams.
@Langley486

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Throw the two-seamer with all that movement and a changeup, it's a lethal combination. It's too hard to pick up a changeup after seeing nasty 2-seams.

And overlooked is the fact that he KNOWS he needs to keep the ball on the ground, which is why he throws so many 2S.

I worry that eventually those sinkers are going to cost him as our defense is so terrible, but if people keep missing them it won't matter.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

And overlooked is the fact that he KNOWS he needs to keep the ball on the ground, which is why he throws so many 2S.

I worry that eventually those sinkers are going to cost him as our defense is so terrible, but if people keep missing them it won't matter.

As long as they're not to 3rd we might be okay :lol:

But seriously I get what you mean but i would rather see the ground balls. If they beat us because of bad defense I can still give the free pass to Hammel because it won't be his fault. Just keep doing what he's doing and i can live with it.
@Langley486

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Seems like this trade is working out well, huh?

I remember people being distraught over it.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Seems like this trade is working out well, huh?

I remember people being distraught over it.

You evaluate a trade at multiple points. Clearly, if an evaluation was made today DD would get an A.

#49 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of the trade but I understood it.

I don't think you always need to get prospects back in a deal. I think DD looked at the rotation last year and said, we can't have all these young guys in there at once. Looks like he was right.

I think DD was smart to look at these guys and think that their numbers would be better outside of Denver.

If Hammel keeps this up he becomes an excellent trade piece either this year or next.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I don't think you always need to get prospects back in a deal. I think DD looked at the rotation last year and said, we can't have all these young guys in there at once. Looks like he was right.

I think DD was smart to look at these guys and think that their numbers would be better outside of Denver.

If Hammel keeps this up he becomes an excellent trade piece either this year or next.

The main thing I thought about the trade was that Hammel, based on what I knew about him (which wasn't that much, sure), was likely to give us at least whatever Guthrie would give us, and that Lindstrom would be a decent arm out of the bullpen. Since Hammel is under control for an additional season, it pushes back the ability to trade that production for prospects or sign him to a new contract that much. So I thought the trade was a slight win, anyway.

If Hammel really has made the right adjustments and will continue to pitch this well, and Lindstrom stays as effective as he has been, and the two can be contributors this year and next (and maybe beyond), of course the trade is a big win no matter what happens with Guthrie. We couldn't see that at the time, though.

#51 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

If he keeps THIS up you sign him to an extension because he's an ACE. ;)

I don't think he does, but then again all bets are off with that new pitch. If he was a 3/4 starter before (and I think he was) adding a plus pitch to the mix pushes him up to a legit #2 candidate. (the only difference between a #2 and an Ace is consistency and mental toughness).
@JeremyMStrain

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

This trade was like the Koji trade. I would have either preferred 2 younger, cheaper players or have the second player be a prospect(ie no davis or lindstrom).

I did say I would have preferred to wait till the deadline with JG than make this trade. Hammel showed in back to back years that he could be close to a 4 WAR player and that he could have good peripherals.

But the 2s is changing things and his stuff is filthy right now. A guy throwing the way he is has TOR potential....again, I doubt he reaches that but with him getting gbs and Ks the way he is, could he be a late bloomer, come out of no where type guy because of a new pitch?

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Could he be a late bloomer, come out of no where type guy because of a new pitch?

Our David Ortiz / Carlos Pena, like you often say. He would just be on the mound instead of at DH.

If the Birds are gonna actually be good anytime soon, we'll definitely need a out-of-nowhere star like that. At least one. In addition to some other positive developments of our younger players.

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Could he be a late bloomer, come out of no where type guy because of a new pitch?

Our David Ortiz / Carlos Pena, like you often say. He would just be on the mound instead of at DH.

If the Birds are gonna actually be good anytime soon, we'll definitely need a out-of-nowhere star like that. At least one. In addition to some other positive developments of our younger players.

More like our...uh...Jeremy Guthrie :lol:

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

This trade was like the Koji trade. I would have either preferred 2 younger, cheaper players or have the second player be a prospect(ie no davis or lindstrom).

I did say I would have preferred to wait till the deadline with JG than make this trade. Hammel showed in back to back years that he could be close to a 4 WAR player and that he could have good peripherals.

But the 2s is changing things and his stuff is lithe right now. A guy throwing the way he is has TOR potential....again, I doubt he reaches that but with him getting gbs and Ks the way he is, could he be a late bloomer, come out of no where type guy because of a new pitch?

Kevin Brown the sequel.
@JeremyMStrain

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Kevin Brown the sequel.

There's a good comp! (hopefully)

#57 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

Dude looked like Stras out there.

Clearly, he has better stuff than anyone thought.

I do agree with the idea that you can't ALWAYS get prospects back in a deal, but our judgment is also clouded a bit by the 12-7 start.

If the O's finish 72-90, then we may be sorry we didn't get any type of young prospect with potential out of the JG deal.

But as far as trying to field a competitive team in 2012, it's worked out well so far...
@PeterDiLutis

#58 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

I know a few people mentioned it, but I wanted to mention it again. The late life he is getting on his 2 seamer, throwing it 93 - 95, is absolutely disgusting. He had a couple of Toronto's hitters look foolish against the pitch with 2 strikes in the count.
@brobey1

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

On the mound tomorrow, to start the series in NY.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Dude looked like Stras out there.

Clearly, he has better stuff than anyone thought.

I do agree with the idea that you can't ALWAYS get prospects back in a deal, but our judgment is also clouded a bit by the 12-7 start.

If the O's finish 72-90, then we may be sorry we didn't get any type of young prospect with potential out of the JG deal.

But as far as trying to field a competitive team in 2012, it's worked out well so far...

FTR, Duquette said no of those so-called high ceiling prospects were available for a trade. Whether he is being honest or not is a different matter.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=