Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Royals Acquire Ervin Santana

http://www.mlbtrader...in-santana.html

The Angels get minor league left-hander Brandon Sisk in the deal, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

This floors me. I know he's expensive and coming off of a poor year...but they got nothing for him.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

This floors me. I know he's expensive and coming off of a poor year...but they got nothing for him.

Great risk for KC to take.

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Wish the O's would've jumped in on this.

#27 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

The Royals have signed Jeremy Guthrie to a 3 year, $25 million deal.

http://www.mlbtrader... ... thrie.html

The Royals announced that they signed right-hander Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year contract through 2015. Excel Sports Management represents Guthrie, who hit free agency this offseason after splitting the 2012 season between the Rockies and Royals. Guthrie will earn $25MM over the course of the three-year, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports (on Twitter). He'll earn $5MM in 2013, $11MM in 2014 and $9MM in 2015.

@MKlein76

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

The Royals have signed Jeremy Guthrie to a 3 year, $25 million deal.

http://www.mlbtrader... ... thrie.html

The money itself isn't bad but giving him a three year contract is a bit excessive IMO. He did pretty good with KC don't get me wrong, but he had a terrible stint in Colorado and yes I know, it's a bad ballpark for him.
@levineps

#29 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Congratulations to Jeremy. $25m in guaranteed money is a long way for a waiver claim. Good for him.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Congratulations to Jeremy. $25m in guaranteed money is a long way for a waiver claim. Good for him.

Just shows you, if you stay in the game long enough, have a set of skills (starting pitching) that are in demand you can make serious bank. I thought the same thing when Josh Willingham signed his contract with the Twins last year (3 years/ $21 million - I think).
@levineps

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Not an awful contract but not a good one either.

Good for JG though...good guy.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

FanGraphs: Top 15 Prospects
http://www.fangraphs...p-15-prospects/

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

ESPN: KC deals Vin Mazzaro, Clint Robinson

http://espn.go.com/m...irates-pitchers

The Royals have traded right-hander Vin Mazzaro and first baseman Clint Robinson to the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league pitchers Luis Santos and Luis Rico.

@levineps

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

SI: Past top-10 prospects offer insight into Royals Myers Dilemma
http://sportsillustr...html?xid=cnnbin

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

FanGraphs: Royals Mortgage Future to be Mediocre in 2013
http://www.fangraphs...diocre-in-2013/

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

FanGraphs: Royals Mortgage Future to be Mediocre in 2013
http://www.fangraphs...diocre-in-2013/

I don't get all the backlash towards the Royals. I thought it was a fine trade, near even value.

Royals got 2/5 of their starting rotation, only gave up prospects. Yes, Myers might be really good, but Shields is a $20m+ pitcher for 2 years, and a couple years of Davis as well. You can make the argument that they are the Royals top 2 pitchers now. Their rotation is good enough to win that division now, it wasn't before.

Outside of Myers, who also isn't guaranteed to do anything, wasn't that the rationale of potentially trading Bundy or Manny, Jake O. looks like more of a RP to me, his FB is way too hittable to sustain as a SP, and Montgomery who I really liked, has had control issues the past 2 years that almost bring back memories of Rick Ankiel.

Plus even after this trade KC still has one of the top systems in the game, they are loaded. So they dealt from a strength and addressed a big weakness. Also seems like they'd lost some confidence in Myers because they pushed him HARD this offseason.
@JeremyMStrain

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Plus even after this trade KC still has one of the top systems in the game, they are loaded. So they dealt from a strength and addressed a big weakness. Also seems like they'd lost some confidence in Myers because they pushed him HARD this offseason.

Maybe it was a loss of confidence, I didn't read it that way. I think they became committed to not trading from their Major League roster.

Overall, I agree with your general point about the trade. The impetus of these moves was to improve. KC won 83 games in 2003. Since then, never above 75. From '94-'02, never more than 77. They have a core of position players they can win with in the AL Central, but they needed starting pitching. Shields, Santana, Guthrie, Davis could be pretty solid.

You have a franchise that has won 83 games once in a period between '94 through '12, and people are mad about them attempting to achieve at-least mediocrity now? Everyone gets that KC is never going to be competing for marquee Free Agents, and that they have to build from within. Trading cheap, cost-controlled high end talent like Myers sucks. At some point though, you have to show your fan-base you actually want to win now.

Put some pitching around Hosmer, Gordon, Moustakas, and Butler and see what happens.

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Maybe it was a loss of confidence, I didn't read it that way. I think they became committed to not trading from their Major League roster.

Overall, I agree with your general point about the trade. The impetus of these moves was to improve. KC won 83 games in 2003. Since then, never above 75. From '94-'02, never more than 77. They have a core of position players they can win with in the AL Central, but they needed starting pitching. Shields, Santana, Guthrie, Davis could be pretty solid.

You have a franchise that has won 83 games once in a period between '94 through '12, and people are mad about them attempting to achieve at-least mediocrity now? Everyone gets that KC is never going to be competing for marquee Free Agents, and that they have to build from within. Trading cheap, cost-controlled high end talent like Myers sucks. At some point though, you have to show your fan-base you actually want to win now.

Put some pitching around Hosmer, Gordon, Moustakas, and Butler and see what happens.

I think something had to go to bring something back, and Myers had the most value because he hadn't showed any ML flaws like the rest had. The reaction to the trade is a good example of how prospect obsessed the game has become.

You're in the AL Central, you've got the Tigers to worry about, but aside from them, the division is wide open. Their new rotation can keep them in the WC race, and possibly the division race. It sucks to give up 6 years of Myers, but what is your alternative? To put Myers in the lineup and wait every year for someone else to develop or come on strong? No one that would have been an upgrade wanted to sign there (Grienke/Sanchez) so they didn't have much choice.

I wouldn't say either team won the deal clean, and it should work out for both.
@JeremyMStrain

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think something had to go to bring something back, and Myers had the most value because he hadn't showed any ML flaws like the rest had. The reaction to the trade is a good example of how prospect obsessed the game has become.

You're in the AL Central, you've got the Tigers to worry about, but aside from them, the division is wide open. Their new rotation can keep them in the WC race, and possibly the division race. It sucks to give up 6 years of Myers, but what is your alternative? To put Myers in the lineup and wait every year for someone else to develop or come on strong? No one that would have been an upgrade wanted to sign there (Grienke/Sanchez) so they didn't have much choice.

I wouldn't say either team won the deal clean, and it should work out for both.

I think part of it is criticizing the Royals is a "cool" thing to do.
@levineps

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

I think part of it is criticizing the Royals is a "cool" thing to do.

Could be right. I listened to XM all afternoon since it's hot topic, and just about everyone said the same thing I did. Then you see these blog posts where people are outraged. I get that people love prospects, but to act like the deal is completely lopsided and doesn't make sense is just looking for cheap page views.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=