#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

But as an Orioles fan, why in the world would you want that?  Or are you just able to place the sanctity of the game above your fandom?

Well, I hear ya - I definitely want the Yankees to remain on the hook for that money - but let's be honest, that's a bottomless pit of money there anyway, so what difference does it really make? They've made their intent clear to stay below the luxury ax though, so I guess maybe there was an "end in sight".

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

In your opinion... which in this case, is definitively wrong.

Helping spread the PED epidimic in baseball is much, much worse than what Pete Rose did. Please.

Gambling is worse, because that actively has an impact on the results. Even if Rose DID just bet on his own team.

Gambling on the sport is the cardinal sin of baseball. PEDs is just the extension of a long history of "bending the rules" and outright cheating that goes back to Gaylord Perry's spitball and the '51 Giants stealing signs on an organizational basis and Babe Ruth and Pud Galvin openly ingesting testosterone from outside sources. So saying that Rodriguez's PED use is worse than Rose's gambling is objectively wrong within the history and culture of the sport itself.

@DJ_McCann

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

That's all still rumor so far, just stuff I've heard...but a huge part of why they are trying to leverage him right now.

Braun and Cabrera didn't go through the lengths ARod did to derail the investigations. Just wait til details are outed.

I assume that this is beyond the "buying documents" stuff that came out at the beginning.

@DJ_McCann

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

I assume that this is beyond the "buying documents" stuff that came out at the beginning.

Yeah. Connections to the guys that threatened and stole boxes from the snitch amongst others. Like I said just rumors for now, but seeing that he had so much to lose, it doesn't surprise me at all.

@JeremyMStrain

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Gambling is worse, because that actively has an impact on the results. Even if Rose DID just bet on his own team.

Gambling on the sport is the cardinal sin of baseball. PEDs is just the extension of a long history of "bending the rules" and outright cheating that goes back to Gaylord Perry's spitball and the '51 Giants stealing signs on an organizational basis and Babe Ruth and Pud Galvin openly ingesting testosterone from outside sources. So saying that Rodriguez's PED use is worse than Rose's gambling is objectively wrong within the history and culture of the sport itself.

I couldn't disagree more.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I couldn't disagree more.

Fine :)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DJ_McCann

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Fine :)

Fine to you! (I might want the last word)  ;)

• DJ MC likes this

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Well, I hear ya - I definitely want the Yankees to remain on the hook for that money - but let's be honest, that's a bottomless pit of money there anyway, so what difference does it really make? They've made their intent clear to stay below the luxury ax though, so I guess maybe there was an "end in sight".

Hal Steinbrenner has said repeatedly they intend to go under the luxury tax, I believe as soon as next year. Now whether he stays true to his word is different matter. What this would do if he were suspended indefinitely is it would make it easier for him to go under it.

@levineps

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Some pretty crazy stuff has to come out for me to say ARod deserves a lifetime ban at all; nonetheless, more so than Rose.

And I think Rose should be in the HOF.

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Some pretty crazy stuff has to come out for me to say ARod deserves a lifetime ban at all; nonetheless, more so than Rose.

I realize I'm going off on a tagent here, but if Rose had just admitted right away, I'd be more likely to accept him being in the HOF. He didn't just lie a few times, he lied for many years upon years until the Charlie Gibson interview. That's my main issue.

@levineps

#51 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Some pretty crazy stuff has to come out for me to say ARod deserves a lifetime ban at all; nonetheless, more so than Rose. And I think Rose should be in the HOF.
I realize I'm going off on a tagent here, but if Rose had just admitted right away, I'd be more likely to accept him being in the HOF. He didn't just lie a few times, he lied for many years upon years until the Charlie Gibson interview. That's my main issue.
But he was selling a book! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think Rose should be in the Hall, too. His accomplishments as a player got him to that level, and as far as I know none of the gambling accusations ever reached back past his time as a manager. But he should be banned from the sport for life for gambling.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

@DJ_McCann

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

But he was selling a book! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I forgot he trying to profit from lying all those years. What a noble guy.

@levineps

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Heyman: Cabrera, Colon, Grandel may not face additional suspensions.

http://www.cbssports...o-promises-figh

@DJ_McCann

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Source: If A-Rod doesn’t settle with MLB, he will be given a lifetime suspension

Basically, MLB feels that even if Rodriguez appeals and wins, the suspension he receives from the arbiter will be essentially the same as the one they are dangling as a deal.

@DJ_McCann

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sheehan: Bud Selig has done more to violate XII.B than Alex Rodriguez

http://joesheehanbas...13/07/xiib.html

@DJ_McCann

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

He's going to fight (they say right now...)

http://hardballtalk....appeal-process/

@DJ_McCann

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

CBS Sports: On a crazy night in Trenton, A-Rod was 'the pink elephant in the room'

http://www.cbssports...ant-in-the-room

@levineps

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

CBS Sports: Biogenesis suspensions likely to be announced on Monday

http://www.cbssports...unced-on-monday

It was supposed to be yesterday, absolutely shocking it was delayed, really wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear for another month on this.

@levineps

#60 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

CBS Sports: Biogenesis suspensions likely to be announced on Monday

http://www.cbssports...unced-on-monday

It was supposed to be yesterday, absolutely shocking it was delayed, really wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear for another month on this.

It was a big mistake not to announce yesterday. A Friday announcement would have allowed them to blow off their rage over the weekend. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=