#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I know ARod doesn't get paid if he's suspended, but would the Yanks pay the amount of his salary to charity or MLB? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is they just save the $ for the amount of time he's suspended, they just save the money. See the Braun story I highlighted earlier today in the Brewers thread.

@levineps

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I know ARod doesn't get paid if he's suspended, but would the Yanks pay the amount of his salary to charity or MLB? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

No, they just save the money, that was just my suggestion as to what they should do in suspension cases because the teams shouldn't be rewarded or let off the hook either. They should carry some risk as well as a way to discourage larger contracts, and the money would be used well if it went to charity or revenue sharing.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

No, they just save the money, that was just my suggestion as to what they should do in suspension cases because the teams shouldn't be rewarded or let off the hook either. They should carry some risk as well as a way to discourage larger contracts, and the money would be used well if it went to charity or revenue sharing.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't agree. Unless teams knew that was a player was using steroids, they shouldn't be penalized. It would be nice for them to donate it to charity, but I don't think they should be required to do it. I like what the Brewers are basically doing with that $. 

@levineps

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

I think once they give out that contract, short of insurance or retirement, they should be on the hook for it. I feel like teams would look the other way if a super productive player was using, but then an anonymous tip would happen if the contract became an obstacle. Player gets caught and suspended and team magically gets money back and stays out of the red.

Seems like a dangerous slope to leave that much power in the team's hands. Also, they shouldn't be handing out redic contracts to guys that they know have strikes against them and raising prices for everyone else.

@JeremyMStrain

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think once they give out that contract, short of insurance or retirement, they should be on the hook for it. I feel like teams would look the other way if a super productive player was using, but then an anonymous tip would happen if the contract became an obstacle. Player gets caught and suspended and team magically gets money back and stays out of the red.

Seems like a dangerous slope to leave that much power in the team's hands. Also, they shouldn't be handing out redic contracts to guys that they know have strikes against them and raising prices for everyone else.

So your problem isn't large contracts per se, just teams looking the other way at steroids?

@levineps

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

So your problem isn't large contracts per se, just teams looking the other way at steroids?

Yeah mostly. I just see major motivation for teams to enforce rules when it suits them, and the player gets hung out to dry when it suits the team best.

This kind of a rule would help keep things more in check since the team doesn't benefit from ratting out a bad contract.

It was really the ARod situation that made me think of it, the Yankees are the biggest winner in all of this, but with Braun, he's still got plenty of good years ahead of him, so MIL gets a break for half a season and still has him under control for years after.

@JeremyMStrain

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Rodriguez could be suspended under the CBA, not the drug agreement.

No chance this actually happens, right? Just leverage? Seems to me that for MLB to go down that road over one player would be practically suicidal, and if I'm Rodriguez and the MLBPA I'm calling their bluff--at least on that part.

@DJ_McCann

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Rodriguez could be suspended under the CBA, not the drug agreement.

No chance this actually happens, right? Just leverage? Seems to me that for MLB to go down that road over one player would be practically suicidal, and if I'm Rodriguez and the MLBPA I'm calling their bluff--at least on that part.

I don't know, at some point there has to be a line where a sport can say you are a danger to all involved and you are not welcome here. Mlb is the only sport with sort of precedent (rose).

Not commenting on arod directly here but there have to be certain lines where players can't hide behind the union. Just don't know where those lines would fall. Aaron hernandez I suppose is one.
@JeremyMStrain

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't know, at some point there has to be a line where a sport can say you are a danger to all involved and you are not welcome here. Mlb is the only sport with sort of precedent (rose).

Not commenting on arod directly here but there have to be certain lines where players can't hide behind the union. Just don't know where those lines would fall. Aaron hernandez I suppose is one.

Yeah, but why would they go with Rodriguez there instead of Braun or Melky Cabrera or Rafael Palmeiro or anyone else?

You can't kick someone out of baseball because you don't like them. That's the line, and if MLB is worried that they don't have the evidence to stand up under the JDA if Rodriguez chooses to fight, well tough shit.

I still can't believe MLB would seriously consider that, nor would the union or Rodriguez take such a threat seriously.

@DJ_McCann

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, but why would they go with Rodriguez there instead of Braun or Melky Cabrera or Rafael Palmeiro or anyone else?

You can't kick someone out of baseball because you don't like them. That's the line, and if MLB is worried that they don't have the evidence to stand up under the JDA if Rodriguez chooses to fight, well tough shit.

I still can't believe MLB would seriously consider that, nor would the union or Rodriguez take such a threat seriously.

Word is that they have more than enough evidence.

@JeremyMStrain

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Word is that they have more than enough evidence.

Sure, that's what has been rumored for a while. And I get trying to strong-arm Rodriguez into submitting to the year-plus suspension. But this threat just sounds too ridiculous for either side to take seriously.

@DJ_McCann

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Sure, that's what has been rumored for a while. And I get trying to strong-arm Rodriguez into submitting to the year-plus suspension. But this threat just sounds too ridiculous for either side to take seriously.

I think they had him on the year thing, it's the lifetime ban he's trying to fight.

@JeremyMStrain

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think they had him on the year thing, it's the lifetime ban he's trying to fight.

Well, that really goes back to what I was saying before: they are trying to kick him out because they don't like him, and they can't do that.

@DJ_McCann

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Well, that really goes back to what I was saying before: they are trying to kick him out because they don't like him, and they can't do that.

I'm pretty sure they are trying to kick him out because he broke written rules, lied about it, impeded an investigation into it, and if the rumors are true, helped other people escape getting caught.

So he's helped spread the epidemic.

@JeremyMStrain

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm pretty sure they are trying to kick him out because he broke written rules, lied about it, impeded an investigation into it, and if the rumors are true, helped other people escape getting caught.

Yeah, once again people are getting caught up in a black and white thing with what baseball can and can't do... this whole situation is as grey as it gets and A-Roid deserves no benefit of the doubt whatsoever. Screw him. He should be banned for life. Much moreso than Pete Rose.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Other than the last part, that's Braun and Cabrera. And I haven't heard anything about that last part; who did he "help escape getting caught"?

@DJ_McCann

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Yeah, once again people are getting caught up in a black and white thing with what baseball can and can't do... this whole situation is as grey as it gets and A-Roid deserves no benefit of the doubt whatsoever. Screw him. He should be banned for life. Much moreso than Pete Rose.

Yeah, that's wrong right there.

@DJ_McCann

#38 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

But as an Orioles fan, why in the world would you want that?  Or are you just able to place the sanctity of the game above your fandom?

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Other than the last part, that's Braun and Cabrera. And I haven't heard anything about that last part; who did he "help escape getting caught"?

That's all still rumor so far, just stuff I've heard...but a huge part of why they are trying to leverage him right now.

Braun and Cabrera didn't go through the lengths ARod did to derail the investigations. Just wait til details are outed.

@JeremyMStrain

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, that's wrong right there.

In your opinion... which in this case, is definitively wrong.

Helping spread the PED epidimic in baseball is much, much worse than what Pete Rose did. Please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=