Photo

BSL: Project 2014 (Previewing Yr 1 in the Big Ten)

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

If the Terps get Prince, I'd stick him at backup LT for the time being. I see Prince and Gray competing for that position, while Mazyck competes with Doyle for the RT position. I'd like to see the team try to covert a few of these tackles to guards. If they don't do that, I can definitely see Mulrooney/Conaboy competing with Altamirano for the LG spot. This team needs a little more versatility with its incoming class at O-Line. 

I think most lineman are in position where they need a year of adjustment to college before contributing... but I'm hoping a player of Prince's caliber can contribute right away if he commits. Maybe him and Gray at the tackles, and Doyle to LG?

Can see the scenario you posed being what happens though.

#62 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think most lineman are in position where they need a year of adjustment to college before contributing... but I'm hoping a player of Prince's caliber can contribute right away if he commits. Maybe him and Gray at the tackles, and Doyle to LG?

Can see the scenario you posed being what happens though.

Perhaps, but I think Mazyck has a better chance of starting his first season than Prince. I always like to see incoming O-Linemen redshirted. Gives them such a better advantage to learn their first year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#63 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Not to keep beating the dead horse, but the OL is not the WR, RB, or even QB unit, where the Terps are very deep and talented. The best 5 players need to be on the field, no matter what class, no exceptions.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Not to keep beating the dead horse, but this is not the WR, RB, or even QB unit, where the Terps are very deep and talented. The best 5 players need to be on the field, no matter what class, no exceptions.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Get the best 5 out there. Going to likely need 8-10 guys to get through the season anyway.... sure hope they land Prince.

#65 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Going back to what had been mentioned earlier, here's my projected offensive line with Mazyck and Gray:

LT - 1. Derwin Gray, 2. Moise Larose

LG - 1. Silvano Altamirano, 2. JaJuan Dulaney

C - 1. Sal Conaboy, 2. Evan Mulrooney

RG - 1. Michael Dunn, 2. Andrew Zeller

RT - 1. Larry Mazyck, 2. Ryan Doyle

I'll be updating the two-deep shortly. IF Damian Prince commits, I'd stick him at backup LT for now. I can't see him beating out Gray or Mazyck for a starting spot since they'll have months of practice more than him, and I can't see any of those 3 moving to guard.

The rest of the two-deep will be updated after National Signing Day. If other players enroll early, I'll add them in as well. As we saw with Jared Cohen, commitments aren't a sure thing until the LOI is signed.

Update: Two-deep has been updated. Added Mazyck, and made a few other tweaks.

@BSLZackKiesel

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

I've just added my Running Back preview for 2014, along with individual statistics. It should be an interesting group of players vying for playing time in 2014, and each has a unique set of skills that could be used. Randy Edsall prefers a true starting running back (like he had with Brandon Ross this season), but it's hard to ignore the talent behind him on the depth chart.

I've also added final 2013 statistics to the quarterback preview.

http://baltimorespor...-running-backs/

CSN Baltimore: Wes Brown to re-enroll
http://www.csnbaltim...enroll-maryland

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

SB Nation: Early 2014 Big Ten East Power Rankings
http://www.sbnation....-michigan-state

1) Michigan State

2) Ohio State

3) Michigan

4th tied) Maryland & Indiana

6) Penn State

7) Rutgers

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm pretty excited for next year now that Prince is on-board. 3 new quality starters on the O-line, + plenty of returning skill position = team that can surprise.   I like MD to win 8 games, and go to a decent bowl.

#69 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

The two-deep has been updated to reflect National Signing Day.

The changes:

1. Larry Mazyck is now the starting LT, with Moise Larose backing him up.

2. Derwin Gray is now the starting RG, with Michael Dunn backing him up.

3. Damian Prince is now the starting RT, with Ryan Doyle backing him up.

4. Juwann Winfree is now the co-backup at the WR-Y position alongside Nigel King and backing up Marcus Leak.

5. Jesse Aniebonam is now the co-backup at the WLB position alongside Alex Twine and backing up Matt Robinson.

6. Daniel Ezeagwu is now the co-backup at one of the two CB positions alongside Alvin Hill and backing up Jeremiah Johnson.

7. Nate Adams is now the starting LS, with Will Rosenblum backing him up.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#70 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

The two-deep has been updated to reflect National Signing Day.

The changes:

1. Larry Mazyck is now the starting LT, with Moise Larose backing him up.

2. Derwin Gray is now the starting RG, with Michael Dunn backing him up.

3. Damian Prince is now the starting RT, with Ryan Doyle backing him up.

4. Juwann Winfree is now the co-backup at the WR-Y position alongside Nigel King and backing up Marcus Leak.

5. Jesse Aniebonam is now the co-backup at the WLB position alongside Alex Twine and backing up Matt Robinson.

6. Daniel Ezeagwu is now the co-backup at one of the two CB positions alongside Alvin Hill and backing up Jeremiah Johnson.

7. Nate Adams is now the starting LS, with Will Rosenblum backing him up.

With Prince aboard, naturally I expected him at LT, but was surprised to see you do not anticipate that. With that said, what prompted you to switch Gray at LT and Mazyck at RT, to now Gray at RG and Mazyck at LT? If Gray was a better fit at LT than Mazyck, why would the even more highly-rated Prince not do the same? Is it because the older kids have more experience? Is Mazyck too tall to move inside? Sorry for the barrage, just curious.

#71 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

With Prince aboard, naturally I expected him at LT, but was surprised to see you do not anticipate that. With that said, what prompted you to switch Gray at LT and Mazyck at RT, to now Gray at RG and Mazyck at LT? If Gray was a better fit at LT than Mazyck, why would the even more highly-rated Prince not do the same? Is it because the older kids have more experience? Is Mazyck too tall to move inside? Sorry for the barrage, just curious.

Here's my reasoning:

Mazyck is 6'8", 340 lbs. Where better to use that size than left tackle?

Gray would have started at RT for me if they hadn't landed Prince, but he's the most likely of the 3 to move to guard. Mazyck isn't moving. He's too big and he's a junior. Prince could, but he's too valuable to not have him start at tackle.

Prince is extremely talented, but I think RT is a good spot for him right now. Once Mazyck graduates, they can move him over to LT and move Gray out to RT.

I know I originally had Gray at LT and Mazyck at RT, but after doing further research on both, decided to swap them. Then Prince came along and forced Gray inside. Mazyck is a better fit at LT than Gray. Just needed to do some more research and film study to figure that out.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#72 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Here's my reasoning:

Mazyck is 6'8", 340 lbs. Where better to use that size than left tackle?

Gray would have started at RT for me if they hadn't landed Prince, but he's the most likely of the 3 to move to guard. Mazyck isn't moving. He's too big and he's a junior. Prince could, but he's too valuable to not have him start at tackle.

Prince is extremely talented, but I think RT is a good spot for him right now. Once Mazyck graduates, they can move him over to LT and move Gray out to RT.

I know I originally had Gray at LT and Mazyck at RT, but after doing further research on both, decided to swap them. Then Prince came along and forced Gray inside. Mazyck is a better fit at LT than Gray. Just needed to do some more research and film study to figure that out.

I understand, and you may be right, but I feel the elite player at LT is Prince, and Mazyck seems better suited to play RT anyway. Either way it shakes out, our line, once it gels, should be far better this coming year and for the next few seasons.

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

ESPN: Terps not planning B1G transformation

http://espn.go.com/b...-transformation

"We're going to be who we are," Edsall told ESPN.com. "We're not going to change and say everybody in the Big Ten does this or that. We're going to try to make people adapt to us. We're not going to adapt to them."

"We've got some playmakers on offense [who] can really make things happen," Edsall said. "We've got some very talented wide receivers, our quarterback is really good, a dual threat. The biggest thing is we've got to stay healthy and continue to get better."

Maryland will use a hybrid 3-4 defensive scheme built around pressure. Although the Big Ten long has been dominated by 4-3 defenses, Wisconsin employed the 3-4 last season and had some success. Indiana likely will use an odd-man front under new coordinator Brian Knorr.

@levineps

#74 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

ESPN: Getting the lowdown on Maryland

http://espn.go.com/b...own-on-maryland

BB: Heather, how competitive should Big Ten fans expect to the Terrapins to be when they enter the Big Ten?

HD: Think Hoosiers. Somewhere around not quite as good as Penn State and not as bad as Purdue. And nowhere near the likes of Ohio State. Average at best. The schedule is brutal, with Ohio State and back-to-back road trips to Wisconsin and Penn State, plus a trip to Michigan. The travel and stadiums alone are going to be a culture shock for the Terps. It’s a good thing Rutgers joined the Big Ten so the Terps have somebody they can match up against. (Though former Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen is going to be a wee bit motivated for that one as the Scarlet Knights’ new OC.) I think it’s going to be a long season for Randy Edsall, and it’s going to be a dose of reality for athletic director Kevin Anderson. Then again, ADs are paid to see the big picture and follow the money. I have football tunnel vision and it looks like a huge train coming at the Terps through this one.

@levineps

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

ESPN: Getting the lowdown on Maryland

http://espn.go.com/b...own-on-maryland

Rube%2BBaker.JPG

"Maryland, you're a good program, but I want to say, that you're standing on the tracks and the train's is about to come through, bonehead."

@DJ_McCann

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Never been a fan of Heather's analysis.

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

Alright, big news today out of Randy Edsall's Twitter feed.

The following players will be out of Spring practice due to injury:

WR Stefon Diggs

WR Deon Long

OL Derwin Gray

DL Kingsley Opara

DL Ty Tucker

LB Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil

LB Alex Twine

DB Milan Collins

DB Elvis Dennah

DB Jarrett Ross

Also:

LB Shawn Petty is leaving school and will enroll elsewhere in the fall.

OL Dylan O'Connor will be transferring after this semester.

QB Ricardo Young will be graduating this spring.

I'll be updating the projected two-deep accordingly.

EDIT: Two-deep has been updated. I've removed Shawn Petty from the backup ILB spot, and Jermaine Carter, Jr. is now backing up Cole Farrand. The Terps will miss Petty's strength and physicality, especially on special teams, but have plenty of depth at LB.

@BSLZackKiesel

#78 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Never been a fan of Heather's analysis.

I know you're not. It's not everyday Maryland football is featured on front of ESPN.com

@levineps

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

I know you're not. It's not everyday Maryland football is featured on front of ESPN.com

For now. :)

No problem with you posting the link of course.

She struck me as someone who wanted to make a name for herself when with The Sun, and I thought she was consistently over the top. It worked.

#80 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Well, she's right. Hate Edsall, not the reporter giving her correct opinion.

This is a team that will win 2 B10 games next year. At most. Rutgers is the only game they'll be favored to win in the B10 next year. I'll be nice and give them that win and somehow, one more.

I'm just glad there isn't 4 cupcakes early in the season so you guys can act like it's special to win 7 games when 4 of them are against bad teams.

This team will not win more than 5 games next year. 5-7 is the ceiling, and that's highly unlikely. 3 or 4 wins is the likely outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=