Photo

BSL: Project 2014 (Previewing Yr 1 in the Big Ten)

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Is the Big Ten really all that great?

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Well, she's right. Hate Edsall, not the reporter giving her correct opinion.

This is a team that will win 2 B10 games next year. At most. Rutgers is the only game they'll be favored to win in the B10 next year. I'll be nice and give them that win and somehow, one more.

I'm just glad there isn't 4 cupcakes early in the season so you guys can act like it's special to win 7 games when 4 of them are against bad teams.

This team will not win more than 5 games next year. 5-7 is the ceiling, and that's highly unlikely. 3 or 4 wins is the likely outcome.

She's not right, and neither are you.

MD will win 8 games next year.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#83 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Chris, I know you're a glass is 3/4 full type of guy, but there is no way you really believe they are winning 8 games next year.

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Chris, I know you're a glass is 3/4 full type of guy, but there is no way you really believe they are winning 8 games next year.

I think they have a chance to win more than that (with the bowl). I would be disappointed with 7. 8 is my safe bet. I'm not alone in that thought, or out a limb either.. that's pretty much a consensus opinion for everyone who covers MD right now.

#85 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Lol. Wow.

#86 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

She's not right, and neither are you.

MD will win 8 games next year.

You're always on the sunny side.

August 30  James Madison*  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD      
September 6  at South Florida*  Raymond James Stadium • Tampa, FL      
September 13  West Virginia*  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD (Rivalry)      
September 20  at Syracuse*  Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY      
September 27  at Indiana  Memorial Stadium • Bloomington, IN      
October 4  Ohio State  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD      
October 18  Iowa  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD      
October 25  at Wisconsin  Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI      
November 1  at Penn State  Beaver Stadium • University Park, PA (Rivalry)      
November 15  Michigan State  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD      
November 22  at Michigan  Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI      

November 29  Rutgers  Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD

I'll say those four games I bolded are as close to guaranteed losses as you can get. Do you really think they'll run the tables besides that? Penn State is going to be a tough game, that's the wild card. Syracuse I can see go either way. Let's say they split these two games. Besides JMU and likely South Florida, I don't think there's a "guaranteed" victory. I think they'll beat WVU, Iowa, Indiana, and Rutgers. (I'm basing Rutgers off the game being relevant for the Terps, if they're 4-7 at the time, my prediction doesn't apply).

So that's 7-5, but that's probably a somewhat best case scenario.

@levineps

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

I think they have a chance to win more than that (with the bowl). I would be disappointed with 7. 8 is my safe bet. I'm not alone in that thought, or out a limb either.. that's pretty much a consensus opinion for everyone who covers MD right now.

Really? I'd love to see these predictions. 

@levineps

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Really? I'd love to see these predictions. 

Go listen to the archives... they are there.

#89 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Go listen to the archives... they are there.

That's OK, are you disputing my four guaranteed losses? And if not, which games do you think they'll win of those four?

@levineps

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

You're always on the sunny side.

I'll say those four games I bolded are as close to guaranteed losses as you can get. Do you really think they'll run the tables besides that? Penn State is going to be a tough game, that's the wild card. Syracuse I can see go either way. Let's say they split these two games. Besides JMU and likely South Florida, I don't think there's a "guaranteed" victory. I think they'll beat WVU, Iowa, Indiana, and Rutgers. (I'm basing Rutgers off the game being relevant for the Terps, if they're 4-7 at the time, my prediction doesn't apply).

So that's 7-5, but that's probably a somewhat best case scenario.

South Florida is not a guarantee win.  Plenty of FL talent...game at Raymond James. Only JMU is a guaranteed win. The other 3 OOC games could go either way.

MD has enough skill position talent back next year to beat all but 3 teams on their schedule. (Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin)... everyone else, MD can beat. All but JMU can beat MD.

Outside of health, the primary issue with the Terps the last 2 years has been the O-line. With Mazyck, and Gray as early enrolls... they will be ready to start in the Fall. With Prince's talent (and MD's need) he will also start. With those additions, the O-line will go from abysmal to at-least average.

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

That's OK, are you disputing my four guaranteed losses? And if not, which games do you think they'll win of those four?

Yeah, Michigan is not a guaranteed loss.

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

South Florida is not a guarantee win.  Plenty of FL talent...game at Raymond James. Only JMU is a guaranteed win. The other 3 OOC games could go either way.

MD has enough skill position talent back next year to beat all but 3 teams on their schedule. (Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin)... everyone else, MD can beat. All but JMU can beat MD.

Outside of health, the primary issue with the Terps the last 2 years has been the O-line. With Mazyck, and Gray as early enrolls... they will be ready to start in the Fall. With Prince's talent (and MD's need) he will also start. With those additions, the O-line will go from abysmal to at-least average.

South Florida went 2-10 this year, but maybe they're going to be much improved. I did say it was likely a win, they should win it.

I have a hard time seeing them going into the Big House and winning. If it were at home, I would put it into the winnable game category. Also, Michigan has two weeks to prepare for this game. I guess they could be "overlooking" this one with Ohio State the next week.

So you're saying they are 1-3 before the season begins and that all the other games could go either way, and they'll go 7-1 in these games. That's a very small margin of error. And you don't consider this lofty? I just think you're setting up yourself to being disappointed, but I like the boldness.

@levineps

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

South Florida went 2-10 this year, but maybe they're going to be much improved. I did say it was likely a win, they should win it.

I have a hard time seeing them going into the Big House and winning. If it were at home, I would put it into the winnable game category. Also, Michigan has two weeks to prepare for this game. I guess they could be "overlooking" this one with Ohio State the next week.

So you're saying they are 1-3 before the season begins and that all the other games could go either way, and they'll go 7-1 in these games. That's a very small margin of error. And you don't consider this lofty? I just think you're setting up yourself to being disappointed, but I like the boldness.

They go 1-3 to start the year, they will be screwed. I'm saying they have 1 guaranteed win on their schedule... but I look at the schedule... and I think they have a chance (with the bowl) to win more than 8 games. I would be disappointed with 7 wins. 8 is my safe bet.

Looking forward to the year.

If I'm wrong, Edsall won't be back for '15.

#94 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

They go 1-3 to start the year, they will be screwed. I'm saying they have 1 guaranteed win on their schedule... but I look at the schedule... and I think they have a chance (with the bowl) to win more than 8 games. I would be disappointed with 7 wins. 8 is my safe bet.

Looking forward to the year.

If I'm wrong, Edsall won't be back for '15.

Well yeah, if they go 1-3 in the weakest portion of their schedule, I don't see them coming close to your prediction. That's the easiest portion of their schedule to get to 8 wins, they'll have to run the tables here IMO.

I see 8-4 best case scenario, I'm predicting 7-5 as the likely number and like I said I see that as optimistic

Not sure if you're saying Edsall going 7-5 gets him fired. I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think if he goes to a bowl game, good chance he'll be back dependent on other factors (recruiting, attendance, etc). I do think they'll likely have to make a decision one way or another at the end of this year as he'll only have one year remaining on his contract.

@levineps

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Well yeah, if they go 1-3 in the weakest portion of their schedule, I don't see them coming close to your prediction. That's the easiest portion of their schedule to get to 8 wins, they'll have to run the tables here IMO.

I see 8-4 best case scenario, I'm predicting 7-5 as the likely number and like I said I see that as optimistic

Not sure if you're saying Edsall going 7-5 gets him fired. I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think if he goes to a bowl game, good chance he'll be back dependent on other factors (recruiting, attendance, etc). I do think they'll likely have to make a decision one way or another at the end of this year as he'll only have one year remaining on his contract.

No, I think 7-5 is quite possible.. with the 8th win coming in the bowl.

If MD has the season bnickle suggests they will... Edsall will not be back for '15.

#96 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

No, I think 7-5 is quite possible.. with the 8th win coming in the bowl.

If MD has the season bnickle suggests they will... Edsall will not be back for '15.

That's a big distinction if you're including a bowl victory in the win total. The decision to bring back(or not bring back) will likely be made before the bowl game after all.

I agree that Edsall will likely not be back with Bnickles hypothetical season.

@levineps

#97 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm with Chris here. This Maryland team surprised a lot of people last season (especially offensively) and not only are most of the pieces back, but they've added some great talent. C.J. Brown is back, and the team has 4 very talented running backs to turn to. Wide receiver is absolutely loaded, and Juwann Winfree is a future star who could contribute immediately. The offensive line will be better than last season's. Defensively, the only position impacted heavily is corner, and it was riddled with injuries last season. And Brian Stewart lost 5 of his starting front 7 last season and still put together a solid defense.

I absolutely hate running down schedules and making predictions, especially this early in the year. Who would have given Maryland a chance to go 4-0 in their non-conference last season and be ranked #25 heading into the FSU game? Not many people. I think most expected a 3-1 or 2-2 start, and certainly didn't project a shutout against WVU.

This Maryland team has the offensive talent to beat almost anyone on their schedule. I don't think you can call any game a guaranteed loss, because this team is very talented. Will they lose to Ohio State? Probably. Have crazier things happened? Of course.

And Chris is right, 8 wins is a general consensus among most of the analysts who cover Terps football. I think 8 wins is a good projection for this team, given the talent that they have. I think many fans are looking way too hard at the Big Ten and the challenge it presents, and not hard enough at the talent the Terps have on their roster. Is the Big Ten good? Sure. But so are the Terps.

@BSLZackKiesel

#98 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I think they have the talent to win 8, but just don't see it with the schedule.  They face most of the more difficult teams at home - you almost wish it was reversed and you'd get the easier teams at home.

I expect them to be competitive though.  They're not going to get rolled 50-0 like a lot of people seem to think.  It's a talented team.  I still think 6-6 would be a solid season given the schedule.

• Oriole85 likes this

#99 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

I'm with Chris here. This Maryland team surprised a lot of people last season (especially offensively) and not only are most of the pieces back, but they've added some great talent. C.J. Brown is back, and the team has 4 very talented running backs to turn to. Wide receiver is absolutely loaded, and Juwann Winfree is a future star who could contribute immediately. The offensive line will be better than last season's. Defensively, the only position impacted heavily is corner, and it was riddled with injuries last season. And Brian Stewart lost 5 of his starting front 7 last season and still put together a solid defense.

I absolutely hate running down schedules and making predictions, especially this early in the year. Who would have given Maryland a chance to go 4-0 in their non-conference last season and be ranked #25 heading into the FSU game? Not many people. I think most expected a 3-1 or 2-2 start, and certainly didn't project a shutout against WVU.

This Maryland team has the offensive talent to beat almost anyone on their schedule. I don't think you can call any game a guaranteed loss, because this team is very talented. Will they lose to Ohio State? Probably. Have crazier things happened? Of course.

And Chris is right, 8 wins is a general consensus among most of the analysts who cover Terps football. I think 8 wins is a good projection for this team, given the talent that they have. I think many fans are looking way too hard at the Big Ten and the challenge it presents, and not hard enough at the talent the Terps have on their roster. Is the Big Ten good? Sure. But so are the Terps.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities going 8-4. I just think it's more of the ceiling than a likely outcome. I just think just about everything needs to go their way and their opponents need to underperform. You aren't predicting getting into the College Football Playoff after all.

There's always exceptions to the rule. I think we can call JMU an extremely likely win and OSU an extremely likely loss.

And yeah, many including myself didn't see a 4-0 start shutout over WVU. I thought we'd go 3-1 and by the WVU game, I thought we had a decent chance of winning but didn't expect to demolish them. But that's the beauty of sports is when the unexpected happens.

@levineps

#100 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think they have the talent to win 8, but just don't see it with the schedule.  They face most of the more difficult teams at home - you almost wish it was reversed and you'd get the easier teams at home.

I expect them to be competitive though.  They're not going to get rolled 50-0 like a lot of people seem to think.  It's a talented team.  I still think 6-6 would be a solid season given the schedule.

I agree with a lot of this.

You'd like to Michigan and Ohio State reversed since Ohio State is a likely loss either way, but they have a shot at Michigan at home I believe.

I don't think going 6-6 in their first year in the B1G is as big of a disappointment as some are thinking. The difference between a single win and loss in cfb is huge after all. I get the whole "shoot for the stars" mentality and I do think you should stretch a little.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=